Confused with hairtstylist statement. Is this true? (w/ photo)

LovellyKatarina

Hi! -> first of all, please forgive me for my bad english. Im portuguese..

I've been a bit upset with my hair because the last time I went to the hair salon, I asked to keep the length; to make a V shape on the back, and to start layering right below my jaw line...till the bottom. But, I have long hair, by my chest (at the middle of my forearm)...

so he said:

- well, I won't start layer your hair by more than 7 inches below your jaw line, because of the length of your hair! It's not right, and it would turnout ugly.

I was like...WTF? And then my boyfriend's mother (the owner of the salon) came to me saying exactly the same thing. I went like..oooooooooook.

But today I say Giuliana Rancic hair on E!, and check out this photo:
tao_fri1_2.jpg

its exactly the look I wanted (except fringe).

So, question: Are they right? what did they mean? Is it because I have curly hair? (I straighten my hair really often)
I really don't get it (yet).

I would apreciate some info on this...illustrated would be awsome!
Thanks, in advance.

PS: I asked for a long diagonal side fringe (endind by my ear). He cutted it for the wrong side and it is like...squared, straight! I don't know what was wrong with my directions...I took photos.

KISS!

Skin*Deep

I'm so sorry! I hate hate hate it when stylists don't listen to you, like we don't know our hair the best....and like we don't know what we want!! I really don't understand why they would tell you they wouldnt do that, from your description it doesnt seem odd at all, in fact my hair is layered starting at my jaw line, and the length is past my shoulder blades now. I don't think it is ugly! I would go to a different salon..........sounds like they flat weren't listening to you!

ShortnSassy

it is a hairstylists job to listen to their client and communicate. sometimes if a client wants something that the stylist thinks won't be the most flattering, they should work with you to find a compromise. it sounds like this guy just didn't listen at all.
if i were you, i would call him and tell him you're unhappy with your hair, take in this photo and ask him to fix it. and if he won't, find a new stylist.
in my opinion a drastically layered cut like the girl's in the picture is cute! the only thing is if the stylist doesn't know how to do it correctly you could end up with gaps in your layers or "shelves" (just one layer straight across) so if this guy couldn't even cut your bangs correctly, i would be careful.
sorry if that sounds harsh towards him...
good luck!!! <3

LovellyKatarina

thanks a lot girls! I was actually thinking that there was a rule between layering and the length of the hair. I think I will ask for the haircut to another hairstylist of the salon...I dont think I can skip this one so easily (my boyfriend is the manager). thanks a lot for the advice
winks.gif

and yes, my hair (specially the right side) has that "shelve" effect...
ssad.gif

kisses!

onepinkdiamond

This seems like a pretty straight-forward haircut. If I had gone to my stylist I would have specifically asked to "frame my face, but give me long layers". That's exactly what the girl in the photo has at least. Did you bring this exact picture? It would be pretty hard to not 'get' what you were asking for if he/she had this photo in hand. But when you said "layers starting from your chin" all the way down to the middle of your forearm... I do have to admit that sounds like an outgrown mullet because you have to remember that your hair does taper off, and the last thing you want is to look like an upside down X-mas tree.

Giuliana Rancic in your picture has her longest layer mid bicep which is not as long as yours, it sounds like. I tried to find some images of your hair length with layers, but it's difficult because it's not common practice unless you take length off. Remember, the purpose of layers is to add body and movement, and laying hair as long as yours would not justify having layers. Does that make sense?

I think of this photo (Ashley Tisdale) by the way you described your hair:

Ashley+Tisdale+Long+Curls.jpg

She has long hair in the photo to mid forearm but her face is framed with layers above and and below her jaw and the length is thinned out to give 'fringe'. But her hair does not look anything like Giuliana's.

Also, if the hairstylist cut your fringe wrong, if you choose to return to him
th_dunno.gif
, have him 'point cut' the ends, that will take away the bluntness that you're talking about from it being 'squared straight'. He should have at least been able to understand what you were asking for in THAT.... Anyway, I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you, but I thought I'd add my opinion because it's very easy for a hairstylist to misinterpret what you ask for. Remember, whether it's makeup or styling hair, it is an ART, so everything is up for interpretation. However, he and the owner of the salon should have at least been able to give you some suggestions as to how to achieve the look you want (ie taking length off).

gildedangel

It sounds like this guy just didn't listen to you, so go find another hairstylist to fix your hair, don't go back to him. I hope that your hair can get fixed the way that you would like it to be soon!

tokidoki1825

I think in that picture of Giuliana Rancic, she has long framing layers around her face, but not all through her hair. I think your hairstylist might be right that if ALL of your hair (not just the front) had that many layers, it would end up being kind of too thick right around the chin and then thin out kind of dramatically.

Does that make sense? So you might want framing layers all around your face, but have the rest of the layers in your hair start lower, or be really subtle.

LovellyKatarina

wait wait...I made a mistake. I didn't mean forearm (stupid!) I wanted to say by the middle of my arm.. like..by my bust! my hair is shorter than ashley's (onepinkdiamond's post). -> I said my english was bad!
ssad.gif

but yeah, I understand that it doesn't look good to have too many layers on the back (it was hard to visualize, till now...sorry&tks) But, right now, on the back, layers are starting when the hair length already passes my shoulders... is it too bad if they start like 4 inches above?

onepinkdiamonds: it wasn't that particular picture because I only found that one today...but I'm sure I showed him a picture where that "framing" thing was...although he didn't make it. I'm gonna work on that "frame" idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokidoki1825
So you might want framing layers all around your face, but have the rest of the layers in your hair start lower, or be really subtle.

^that's what I'm gonna ask for the next time.

thank you all so much!

kisses**

Nadeshda

I don't know, it may be the texture of your hair. My hair is the same length as yours, I got my last cut almost 6 months ago and my shortest layers are touching my shoulder, so when I walked out of there, they must have been a little below my jaw. But my hair is straight (think stick-straight and that's my hair lol). If your bf's mom is a stylist, I'd ask her why she thinks it wouldn't work for you, and what kind of compromise is there. And don't go back to that guy - from the sounds of it, he either didn't understand what you meant (although it's pretty straightforward), or wasn't too good.

BTW - another fellow portuguese here
winks.gif

kittykit

I think it's quite rude for him to use the word 'ugly'. I always tell my hairstylist what I like and he'll tell me his opinions. Most of the time I let him do whatever he thinks suits me the most, of course he'll describe how the cut will look like before cutting my hair.

Go to another hairstylist. Good luck
smiles.gif

Mabelle

Maybe the stylist was conerned that with the type of curls you have it wouldn't sit right?
Either way, a stylist should find a way to do something similar to your photo that would work with your hair. He should just say " that would be ugly" and leave it at that!

Too often i find that stylists just do not listen! Or they look at your and make an assumption as to your lifestyle/attitude/scene whatever and do their own thing. And when a stylist does that it ALWAYS ends up bad.

Good luck!

ktforthewin

it really depends on your face shape. with an round or heart shaped face, this isnt the most flattering because the layers create a rounding appearance around the face... but if you have an angular face, it should look fine... i'm a cosmetologist and if someone came in with a round or heart shaped face wanting this, i would probably also go for a longer version... and i personally don't like a harsh v in the back of the hair, i like it more rounded, so unless they reallllly wanted it, i would suggest otherwise.

Latest posts