Confusion

dulcekitty

So, I have no idea if anyone on here has had experience with this, but I'm curious. I'm 100% Dominican. No, I'm not mixed. Yes, I'm sure. I popped out of my mom super super porcelain. My skin is almost borderline Irish with the way I get burned within 10 minutes of being in the sun. Funnily enough, I am the ONLY super white person in my family. In family pictures, I'm always the "white" sheep. And I don't mean that lightly. My mother's side is not even deep, they are BLACK. I grew up getting absolutely no love from any ethnicity because I was odd. I couldn't relate to the white girls because of my kinky curly hair and thick thighs, I couldn't relate to other latinas who would give me the cold shoulder because I was so light. I often get talked to in Russian. When I go into a beauty supply store and ask for relaxer, I get looked at like I'm an alien.

When I was growing up I found it really hard to fit in with anybody and the only people who sort of felt the same emotions were mixed, except I wasn't even mixed so I was out of there too. Now I'm a lot more confident in myself and love my heritage and my skin color, although sometimes I trip up and feel out of place, especially when I tell someone that I'm Dominican and they laugh and tell me I need to get a tan.

Even though I love my heritage, I almost never mention it to anyone because of the questions that follow, and it's always the same. "Where is your family from? REALLY? Are you mixed?? Are you SURE???" or even "You better make sure you weren't adopted!" I just want to pull out pictures of my mom and dad and go "I have my father's face and my mother's eyes and big fat booty. What do you think???"

Are there any others like me on this board? I've met maybe 2 other in all my 22.5 years and I'd love to know. Or even if you've ever felt left out. :p

ETA: I should also add that I did NOT grow up in racially diverse neighborhoods nor did I go to racially diverse schools. I was born and raised in Harlem in the late 80s-early 90s and lived in Coney Island the rest, and went to a predominantly black/latino high school, which is why it hit me a lot harder than it should have. It was not easy! I've been called "that white b*tch" more times than I can count by people I've never even spoken to. Now it's much better since I left that bubble and now realize I'm not as weird as I was made to believe! lol...

chiquilla_loca

it's sad that you feel that way.
i'm mixed. and felt bad at times growing up, like this time a classmate asked me why i had written hispanic on a form we were filling out, she's like you don't even speak spanish! i was thinking duh, that doesn't matter, i do now anyways, it's just the ignorance of other people, do you really know more about me than me?
th_MadWithShortFuse.gif
but i can definitely relate to what you're talking about. in your avatar pic, you are a gorgeous 100% dominicana!

mtrimier

I'm sorry you feel that way, too.

I am just used to feeling out of place, though. I get called Barack by my idiotic father, and don't have any Black friends or White friends outside of co-workers. I even have had people (and a few family members) tell me I'm not "Black enough", whatever that is supposed to mean. :eyeroll:

I always get asked the "What are you?" question. Right after "What's your name?" it comes. Sheesh! I tell them "human" and keep moving.

I even had a teacher in elementary school change my forms to "African American" because I'm mixed (I would put "other" and fill in Human and it drove them batty! hee!) and refused to accept the "one drop rule" foolishness here. sheesh.

Ramble aside, I agree with the ignoring nosy people and pigeonholers.
tong.gif

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
Don't you just LOVE the "are you sure" question? No let me check, things might have changed with my DNA. Or looking at you as if they don't believe you.

Exactly! After I say yes I'm sure the next question is usually, "say something in Spanish" WTF kiss my ass. My whole life growing up my sisters & I went through this crap. Sorry I'm mixed and I'm really fair but I really don't care if you believe me or not.

You shouldn't let it bother you, at least you know you're unique! And I never understood why race/heritage is so important to some people in order for them to like you or not, it's ridiculous.

dulcekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrimier
I even have had people (and a few family members) tell me I'm not "Black enough", whatever that is supposed to mean. :eyeroll:

Lol, amen!! I get told the I'm not dominican "enough". Oh gee, please direct me to the handbook. I was unaware I didn't have enough pieces of flair to be a real dominican.

F the haters. Everyone's going to be mixed eventually, I believe.

Half N Half

Hmmm...I don't think it's anything to really be down about. I guess it sucks when you're proud of your culture and everyone's like "yea right you're a white girl". I'm half black & german. I was born and raised in germany, attended german school until I moved here when I was 13. I'm brown, so people are like "OH? So you SPEAK german?" And I'm like YEP, SURE DO! I don't really look black either though, so half the time people think I'm puerto rican....at this point it doesn't matter to me. I'm not a person who really cares about race anyway, so half the time when people ask me WHAT ARE YOU? I just make some shit up...japanese & jamaican...swedish & korean...whatever pops into my mind. It's pretty funny actually. So yea, don't feel bad about what other people say, it really doesn't matter
smiles.gif

blazeno.8

Yeah, it's something that annoys me, especially the uninvited "what are you game", but it's something that I just learn to deal with. Sorry, not much to add to the conversation, but I generally just ignore people who don't get it.

BeccalovesMAC

yup I know how you feel. Cuz I get the same shit asked about my nationality. The thing is... I was put up for adoption when I was five. I dont know what I am really. I hate when ppl ask me cuz it reminds me of being abandoned. Dont let it get to you. I try not too. God bless

chocolategoddes

You should know (and you probably do know) that you're not the only one who has experienced it and it's unfortunate that other people's ignorance has affected you like this.
I can't say I've experienced anything like you have, but most people don't know that I'm pretty mixed, too. I'm Danish, Italian, Israeli, and Black, but people see the dark skin and don't even consider that I could be anything else.
I don't get angry about it and I really don't care. If I didn't know myself I would think I was plain, ol' black, too.
So, don't get upset over people's curiosity about your race, as annoying as it may be. But when it comes to people making you an outcast because of your appearance, that's just fucked up!!!!
smiles.gif