Contact lenses help - How to put in

user79

I got some colored non-prescriptive contact lenses recently and I'm having a really hard time putting them in. I've watched a bunch of videos on Youtube on how to apply them but it doesn't work. I bought the solution and everything, make sure the lens is the right away around, place evenly on my finger and apply straight on and widen by eyes with my fingers. I just can't get it to stick to my eyeball. Also my eyes are not that big so I'm having a hard time opening the eye wide with my fingers, could it be that the actual lens is too wide? Sometimes the edges seem to hit the lid or my eyelashes and I can't get them out of the way enough not to blink and then the stupid lens just pops back on my finger. It won't transfer smoothly to my eyeball. Could it be that the lens is too large or is it something I'd doing wrong?
th_dunno.gif

How long did it take you to learn to put them on for the very first time? Was it a struggle (is that normal) or do you think these lenses just aren't right for me?

TISH1124

My husband had the same problem took him a week to get them in...The best way we found for him was to look up and place the contact in your eye closer to the bottom and then look down, blink and it will find it's place on your eye...he struggled for a while now it just is second nature for him..

gildedangel

A 5 minute lesson on how to put in contacts took me 45 minutes! It took me forever to get the hang of it! I had this problem when I first got contacts too, your finger or the lens may be too wet if it is not sticking. Try to dry your finger first before putting the lens in. Also, try to look up when you put them on your eye, that may help and the lens will correct itself on your eye, this helps me when I can't open my eye enough. What color lenses did you get?

pumpkincat210

It took my friend hours to put hers in. If yours are an actual prescription they should fit with some work. I put a fresh disposable teal contact of my mom's in on the first try, it was weird feeling. good luck.

miss sha

It took me FOREVER to learn how to put my contacts in. Seriously, I had to go to the optometrist a couple of times before I got the hang of it. The best advice I can give is just keep practicing. Keep poking at your eye enough and eventually you'll get it.

The way I do is by pulling on my top eyelid RIGHT AT THE EYELASH and holding it open. Then I put the contact on my index finger and hold my bottom lid open with my thumb. Once I get it in, I keep my eye open and look around until all the bubbles are smooth.

You should also make sure that you have plenty of solution on your lens and to STOP and give your eyes a rest if they start getting red. Also make sure that the lens isn't turned inside out if they're soft lenses!

amber_j

^ Yup, the inside-out thing always used to happen to me when I started wearing lenses. If you can feel the edge of the lens under your eyelid and it keeps popping out, then it may well be inside-out. When the lens is on your finger you shouldn't be able to see a 'lip' around the edge - kind of like the edge of an upturned bell.

Also, when you put the lens in sometimes there'll be an air bubble underneath. I find if I look towards my nose and blink a few times then most of the air is pushed out and I don't have to rub my eyelid as much or at all. But, yeah, it takes a bit of practice. I'm sure you'll be putting these in with no problem in no time!

Delilah

Heh, it took me ages to learn how to put my contact lenses in! Best tip - tilt your chin down, then look up at yourself in the mirror while doing an 'O' with your mouth to stretch your eyelids ... Then try putting the lens in the centre of your eye (which, because you're looking up will actually be the bottom of your eye).

Be careful about tugging too much at the bottom of your eyes coz you can damage the skin (like I did). And also be careful while wearing makeup - especially on your waterline. Debris doesn't wash away as easily when on the contact & can damage your eyes...

chiquilla_loca

If you bought them online and have never got a fitting done by an optometrist it could be the wrong size contact lens for your eye. If the curvature of a contact lens is too flat or too steep for your eye's shape, you could experience discomfort or even eye damage!
With proper fitting lenses it should much easier!
With the contact not sticking to the eyeball, make sure they are wet with solution and you may need to hold them in place for a count of like 3 seconds, then blink. I was 16 when I got my 1st pair of contact lenses, it took a bit of practice. Also, try using a magnifying mirror. HTH.

rbella

Hold it like a bowl on your finger tip to make sure the edges don't sway outward. It should look like a little bowl, not inside out (like others have said). Fill it with saline solution. Keep it on the tip of of your pointer finger. When putting it in your right eye, use your middle finger and pointer finger from your left hand to spread your top and bottom eyelid on your right eye open. Look down wards (just a little) pop in with right pointer finger. Close eye and move eyeball around inside closed eye. Open eye up and look up, down and side to side. Then repeat on other eye.

Chikky

rbella is exactly right. I was trying to think the best way to put it, because I never once had any problem with getting mine in. I have a very good blink control. I can touch my eye without blinking; it doesn't bother me at all. But my brother had tons of trouble at first and rbella said it best. That's how he does it and what worked best for him.

Funny... I never gave a thought that people had such problems with contacts. I must be weird!
winks.gif

BeautyPsycho

Yeah, they may not be the right size for you, I'm not sure what is the thing with non-prescription colored contacts, if they are the same as regular prescription ones regarding the size and all that good stuff.
It took me about 10 min. to put one of mine in for the very first time, and like a 30 sec. for the other eye. Once you figure it out it's really easy. Just try it and try it until you get it in. It should be able to get in by just touching the contact onto your eye, try not to blink at that moment, then you can look left-right to make sure it gets in place. I find its easier to do if I have short nails, especially when I'm taking them out. It's a bitch to get them out if I have long nails, ugh.

Btw. Yeah, my Dr said it is very common for people to struggle with it for the very first time, I was ashamed it took me 5-10 min. and he said that was so fast
lol.gif

Kalico

Get your face right up close into the mirror. I open the eye with the same hand (Left eye, left hand) using my index finger on top and middle finger on the bottom. Stick the contact in with the middle finger of my other hand. Look up or away (doesn't really matter where I look anymore) while sticking it in.

Blink a bit. Sometimes the contact goes off in other directions like under the eyelid and you have the pull it back into place. If it stings or itches badly when you put it in you probably have it on inside out. Also, putting eyedrops in can help if your eyes feel itchy.

My first lesson took 1.5 hrs...