Contouring HELP!!

MissMisah

Sorry if this has already been posted -- i tried searching for it..but got a lot of other posts and then just got tooo lazy to sift through them all.

So, I was reading this MAC pamphlet thingy I got when I signed on to do freelance -- and there was this section where it talks about 'tips on how to contour'

They suggested to use Symmetry e/s for fair/light skinned folks.
and to use Dark Blot ... or some other blush (forgot the name...tantone?) for darker skintones. I also went to the Pro Store in LV and the MA suggested using the Natural MSFs in Dark.

....soooo, my question is: has anyone ever used these to help contour? I wanna avoid using bronzer, because I'm not the biggest fan of it when it comes to contouring.

Also..for those of you who have used the Natural MSFs, what brush(es) do u use? I used the 168 brush, and it seemed to go on really streaky. it helps with placement, but not really the 'buffing' part.

TIA everyone!!!

capspock

Holy crap! Do they really recommend Symmetry to contour? Out of a gazillion e/s shades they have! Because I had tried it last week just because I didn't have any really neutral blush at hand to contour.... so I used this e/s and it worked really well. I'm a NW20 btw!

capspock

Symmetry is a very matte, very neutral beige e/s btw, and it is discontinued. Does anyone know a very close, current shade?

MissMisah

i also forgot to add...when i tried the MSF in Dark, i felt like it went on too orange-y. does anyone else feel that way?

i've also been told that Texture is a good e/s to use on cheeks.

d_flawless

this doesn't really help, but i'm an NC-25 and i use buff blush to contour...it's a lot subtler than bronzer, which can be hard to blend (i.e., easy to screw up)

MissMisah

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
this doesn't really help, but i'm an NC-25 and i use buff blush to contour...it's a lot subtler than bronzer, which can be hard to blend (i.e., easy to screw up)

if dont mind telling me -- how do u apply it using this brush?
i dont personally own it, so i havent had any experience using it.

d_flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisah
if dont mind telling me -- how do u apply it using this brush?
i dont personally own it, so i havent had any experience using it.

suck in your cheeks and right in and a little above the hollow part (the easiest analogy is to pretend there is a line connecting your ear lobe and the corner of your mouth, do the bottom part of that) i just make strokes going inwards, using the 168...you can use it to fill the underside of your chin area, top part of forehead, etc.

M

I'm really fair and actually prefer bronzer to contour-I think it totally depends on the bronzer tho. I've been to a few MAC Pro classes given by MA's on the MAC site and they use bronzer with the 187 which gives an amazing countour with bronzer-the 129 also works well, but the application is much more sheer with the 187. I've also used Strada blush for a countour. For highlighting, I prefer Silver Dusk or Dazzlelight e/s-this is beautiful. Or something like Fairlight pigment is nice too.

I prefer the 182 for applying the face MSF's, but that probably wouldn't work well for contour. I have used Shooting Star with the 187 four contouring and it was beautiful.

HTHS