Could use some good vibes...

MzzRach

I received some bad news today. I took my two cats (who are like my kids to me) in for their annual checkup (my vet works from Sunday through Wednesday - I love my local animal hospital) and she noticed that Jessica's spleen was enlarged. My other cat Maya checked out totally normal, thankfully.

After doing an ultrasound on Jessica, and seeing that her spleen is totally enlarged (not good) she aspirated and did blood testing/staining straightaway to get a diagnosis.

Jessica has what is called a Splenic Mast Cell Tumor. She has cancer, I am just devastated. She is going in for surgery first thing tomorrow to have her spleen removed. The good news is, we caught this early, Jessica has not even been sick - her appetite and energy have been normal. My vet thinks that she could maybe still live 3-5 years. So the prognosis is good, but we of course will not know until after she has had surgery.

I am still in a bit of shock. Cancer took my mother from me almost 2 years ago, and now one of my girls has it. I am going to fight this tooth and nail. But I feel like my heart is breaking at the moment. Going to take it day by day.

Positive vibes and prayers, if you pray, are appreciated.

archiesjess

Awww, I hope your kitty gets better. It is so very overwhleming to have to go through any medical issues with your pets (or loved ones!). Sending healthy thoughts your way...

almmaaa

I'm sorry, I cant believe cancer even affects animals, it shouldnt have to affect anyone but alas such is life, I will pray for your kitty I love animals!!!

panther27

Aw,Rachael,I'm sorry sweetie!I will definately keep you and Jessica in my thoughts and prayers.Please let us know how Jessica's surgery goes.I lost my precious Sneakers to kidney failure so I know how you feel,cats are definately our children,.
th_cheerup.gif

abbyquack

Aww Rach I am soo soo sorry to hear this! I have had to go through similar issues with my cats and it is nothing I would wish on anyone! You and your kitties will be in my thoughts for sure! Please keep us updated on her progress.
heart.gif

euphrosyne_rose

I will definitely be sending the good vibes out!! My baby Zeus is 13 and has to take Metacam daily for his hips which have gotten bad over the past few years. The vet's words were "I don't know how he is even walking around b/c his hips are basically gone." Yikes. He showed me the x-ray and the ball joint that joins to the hips is very worn away but the Metacam seems to really help. He's become quite the druggie though! Loves the stuff which stinks to high heaven but as long as it helps, I'm all for it. Let us know how it all goes. Hugs!
winks.gif

Hilly

Aww!!! I am so sorry. I feel you big time! I will be thinking of you and Jessica. My Keeney (RIP) had a cancerous tumor when I was in HS and she lived 8 years after that. We didnt have surgery or anything for her and she still lived a long life. You are a good momma taking care of your girls.

obscuria

I hope your baby makes it through surgery ok!

I know what you are going through, it killed me when i found out that my dog was sick. Luckily we found out what was wrong and he will hopefully heal just fine from it. I hope the same for yours!

Many good thoughts coming your way!

MzzRach

Thank you so much everyone. I dropped her off at the hospital early this morning. My fingers and toes are crossed. I am actually grateful to be so busy at work so I am not sitting around making myself sick with worry.

I appreciate the kind thoughts. I'll keep you updated.

heart.gif

DollyGirl92

ohh thats terrible! I've never spoken to you before Rach but you seem ever so lovely! its awful that this is happening to you, a similar thing happened to my boyfriends dog a few months ago, but he's fine now, running around like the big dafty he is, and his cancer was caught later than they thought at first so the outlook is good! my thoughts are with you and Jessica.

LMD84

th_hug.gif
i hope everything is going ok Rach
yes.gif
i'm thinking of Jessica and sending very positive thoughts right now.

littlepickle

Oh no! Thinking of you & Jessica and crossing fingers (and the cats are crossing paws) that you will get through this with no trouble.

Susanne

Rachel, I have you in my thoughts and will pray for you and Jessica!

I lost my beloved cat in September (her picture is not only in my signature with me every day). I still miss her so much. It hurts to know she can't go in the garden now to enjoy the first days of warm sun which she loved.

I am sure no one could do better for Jessica than you are doing right now! I wish all the best.

purrtykitty

Rachel, I'm so sorry! I know exactly how you feel - mine are my babies, too, and I would do anything for them. I will keep you and Jessica in my thoughts and prayers.
heart.gif

MzzRach

Thank you so much, everyone. I really appreciate all your support & kindness.

Update on Jessica - just got a call from my wonderful vet (seriously, my vet rocks). Jessica came through surgery with flying colours and I can pick her up later this afternoon. She will be on medication for awhile, and we'll see what the long term plan is, but for now I am happy to have her out of the woods.

Nothing is certain with tumours, but I am hoping with the removal of her spleen, the outlook is OK. I appreciate everyone's good thoughts, prayers & support. It means more than you might know.
heart.gif