Customs charges when buying from ebay?

Wannabe Junkie

Hi!

I wondered if anyone could help me? I'm hoping to place an order for several e/s pans and a pallette through an ebay shop in the States. I just wondered if I was likely to be charged by customs at this end? I know that it does happen when ordering through Strawberrynet but with SN they will refund the charges - I'm not sure how this would work with ebay sellers.

Any advice/experiences gratefully received. Buying from the US seems to be so much cheaper but I'm wary that there's a catch!!

Thanks

Ambi

I've bought from eBay about 50 times now and not once has there been any customs problems, [in my country the limit is about 45 Euro, if the label says the worth of the contents is less than that there's usually no problems, if it's more than 45 E you might have to pay 22% tax and if it's over about 85 E you also have to pay 12% custom fees.]

Some sellers mark it as a gift in which case the value doesn't matter [although in some cases they might get suspicious and check what's in the package because a lot of people abuse the "gift" thingy to avoid having to pay customs/taxes etc, especially those who send tons of packages overseas.]

And then there's those people who falsify the Customs Forms declaring a minimal value [label says value $20 when really it's $200] but that's illegal and you'll get fined if you get caught, so don't ask them to do it
smiles.gif

Wannabe Junkie

Thanks Ambi! That's really useful. It looks like I'm better off buying in smaller amounts rather than one large lot to combine the postage. I still think it will be cheaper than buying in England.

Thank you
smiles.gif

Wannabe Junkie

I've just been looking at details on the UK customs website and the limit for gifts is £36 (45 E) but for goods is £18 (22 E). Fortunately that only includes the value of the goods not P&P but still it's pretty low.
ssad.gif