Cutting the cuticles?

trincess

Hey guys... I post regularly here and on my blog, but sometimes I also post in a local beauty forum to give people ideas. Most of the time people like the stuff I do but sometimes there is someone who claims that no matter what I do, the nails won't look right because I don't cut my cuticles. I can totally understand that the ladies in my country don't know much about nail care and when someone mentions "getting a manicure" they mean nipping the cuticles. I don't want to cut my cuticles, the idea just disturbs me! (Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anyone who does it, just my cuticles are dry and I think it would be too painful on myself!) I keep them moisturized regularly, and push them back once a week using a cuticle softener and an orange stick. To me they look natural and clean, but like I said, sometimes I'm badly affected when I hear something like that. What's your opinion about proper cuticle care? Should I worry about that they don't look right indeed?

Some pictures of my hands, just to give you an idea:

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

summerblue

I think you nails look beautiful. I won't change a thing. Besides, if you start cutting your cuticles, they will always be misshapen & have to be cut. I know, I cut my years ago. It's kind of like plucking above the eyebrow; once you do it, you'll always have to do it.
ssad.gif

Leilani78

Your nails are beautiful and I wouldn't cut them. Cutting them could lead to infections. I push my cuticles back because 1) my mom told me to never cut them and 2) other nail bloggers recommend pushing them back (and they all have beautiful nails too). Your regimen is fine and who don't let that person sway you from what you are already doing.

Odette

Why would anyone want to be cutting into living tissue? This is the way to get an infection. Unless a medical professional is cutting them for medical reasons with sterilized instruments do not allow it.

Your nails are beautiful.

trincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
Why would anyone want to be cutting into living tissue? This is the way to get an infection. Unless a medical professional is cutting them for medical reasons with sterilized instruments do not allow it.

Your nails are beautiful.

Thank you! Exactly my opinion! Left to their own devices, cuticles heal and look fine again. Picking on them causes more problems!

ilexica

They look beautiful and healthy - keep them just as they are!

(That purple polish is AMAZING, by the way!)

trincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilexica
They look beautiful and healthy - keep them just as they are!

(That purple polish is AMAZING, by the way!)

Thank you dear, it's Sinful Colors - Let's Talk =)

cocodivatime

Gorgeous. Don't change a thing.

The last time I got a manicure, the lady insisted on cutting my cuticles. I told her that I don't like getting them and just to push them back. She begged me to let her cut just a little to "clean them up"

About a day later they split and cracked and I had hangnails or whatever you call them on all fingers. The WORST. This is why whenever I do my nails, I prefer to do them myself. I do prefer to get pedicures in the salon though.

Moral of my long story----leave your cuticles alone. They look great
yes.gif

BaDKiTTy69

Your nails look healthy, so do not change anything. I did cut mine before and always was cutting myself and it would hurt like hell for couple of days. So for now i just push them back and only once in a while i would have to cut them if like one of them is sticking out or something.

MizzMelroseMood

Tea tree oil is amazing for making cuticles almost disappear without cutting them! I just massage it into my nail and push them back. I hate it's medicine-y smell but it really does work good.

Susanne

You don't need to cut your cuticles!

You can try Lush Lemony Flutter which helps to keep your cuticles super soft and moisturized. I also love nail oils.

macgirl3121

Cut what?
th_dunno.gif
There is nothing to cut! You should not trim or cut live tissue. I'm a nailtech and I only nip any peices of dead skin that are sticking up off the nailplate after the cuticle is pushed back. If you want you can use a "cocktail" of CND's cuticle eraser and solar oil nightly. The combo will exfoliate and dead skin and keep the area moisturized.

AshleyTatton

Your nails are beautiful, I would never cut those! I cringe at the thought of cutting cuticles, and always stop the ladies before they try to do mine. *shudder*

Babylard

oooh i love that eletric chromy purple-blue nail polish! your nails look great, so whats the problem O_O

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Your hands look great, cutting your cuticles can lead to serious problems, including your nails no longer growing, bad idea, don't do it!

trincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejy
How do you get the polish so perfect near the cuticles??

I use a small brush dipped in remover to clean up =)

Nejy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trincess
I use a small brush dipped in remover to clean up =)

Man, its so flawless!!!! And beautiful!!! Don't cut your cuticles!!!!