d.i.y. haircuts

laurenmo88

i am growing my hair out
but i need to have monthly trims to keep it in order because i wear it curly mostly and if i don't have it trimmed, it will look very frizzy on the ends

if i went to my current hair stylist i would end up paying around 50-60 every month on trims (that is including tip)
i try to ask around for other hair salons to try but i live in a part of town where everything is so expensive
ssad.gif

i want to be able to tell the stylist what i want, have it come out right, and pay under 40 dollars

this is where the idea of a d.i.y. haircut comes into my mind!
do any of you guys/gals style your own hair? i am mainly looking at cutting/trimming, not dye
so...how do you do it?! what tools do you use? is there any good online information like specktra that will help me with learning to cut my own hair?

i would love any answers i could get! thank you all in advance
smiles.gif

3jane

It depends. I have long, very straight hair, so I can have a friend or my mother trim it with no problems. (Mothers are good since they've often had practice cutting their kids' hair.
winks.gif
) I've even done it myself (with a lot of contorting and 2 mirrors). All you need to get even ends is a comb-- comb through damp hair, pulling it straight, and snip. You can get a decent pair of hair scissors at almost any beauty supply store.

However, I'd guess curly hair would be more difficult. You'd have to be very careful about pulling the hair straight and evenly. Also, if your hair is short, it'd be more of a gamble since there's less room for mistakes, and the mistakes would be much more noticeable. Tread with caution.

If you're looking for a cheap solution, look into salons that have the stylist-students practice on people, especially since just a trim is more difficult to mess up. You can often get cuts for very cheap, or even free.

Finally, if you're just looking for a trim, try a barber shop. They're cheaper than salons, and can cut women's hair just as well (though I'm not sure how much I'd trust them to put in layers or something more fancy like that).

hth!

laurenmo88

i have had friends suggues the cosmetology students idea, i think that might be the best option
my dad sugguested barber shop lol
and the fantastic sam's on my block butchered my hair when i tried going there
ssad.gif
bad stylists at this one, sadly

i think i will try to go to a cosmetology school & have them trim it plus ask them to help me learn a few tricks of the trade!
thanks all!

gRiZeLda

flip ur hair upside down when wet...like just outta the shower! comb it when uve flipped ur head...and cut straight across....but get some g0od scissors!!!.....my way of doing it

Soph

i've never been to the hairdressers in my life, mum's always been the one that cuts my hair :p and she does a pretty good job to be honest

a tip - get layering/thinning scissors. i don't know how well they'll work on curly hair since i have straight hair, but they're pretty easy to use :]

Soph xo