Dandruff/dry scalp

l1onqueen

hey chemically straightened chicas!

I have a relaxer (mizani to be exact, its awesome, but i digress...), my hair is also colored (i love the color too, caramel brown with almost bronze highlights) anyway, in the winter months my skin and scalp (thus my hair too) are super dry! I even get dandruff in my eyebrows! (yuck, right?) Anyway I am looking for a new shampoo/conditioner, something gentle enough for all the chemicals I already have, but strong enough to cure the flakes. And a great conditioner to hydrate my hair. Any suggestions?

TIA

Asphyxia

For a whole year my scalp would get flakes behind the ear area (only). I finally tried Scalp Remedy Dandruff Solution by Aveda which cured the problem. However, I still use it because I like the way it makes my scalp feels. They also have Scalp Benefits shampoo and conditioner. You don't need the shampoo or conditioner for the Scalp Remedy to work. I know it may be a little pricey, but they have a rewards program if I'm not mistaken. I hope this helps.

Aveda - Official Site - Shop By Solution - Hair - Dandruff

Click on the bottle to read the benefits.

M.A.C. head.

Creme of Nature products are great for dry scalp!

I have the same problem. It gets so bad sometimes
ssad.gif
I end up scratching so bad that it bleeds.

Since using said products I haven't had nearly as much trouble. It's all about keeping your hair moisturized and healthy, and I am not very good at that
ssad.gif

l1onqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.C. head.
Creme of Nature products are great for dry scalp!

I have the same problem. It gets so bad sometimes
ssad.gif
I end up scratching so bad that it bleeds.

Since using said products I haven't had nearly as much trouble. It's all about keeping your hair moisturized and healthy, and I am not very good at that
ssad.gif

I used to use Cream of Natures shampoo for color treated hair, but my stylist advised me to stop using it, because it was making my hair "hard". Whatever that means. Anyway I switched to Keracare products and I love them. I couldnt stand it any longer so after work today I went t Ulta and picked up the dry and itchy scalp glossifier (I'll use it as grease) and the dry and itchy scalp shampoo. We'll see how it goes..

lilsuzy

I use Neutrogena TGEL. That stuff works downfall makes your hair dry but i have it so bad only shampoo that eliminates it is this one.. All other dandruff shampoos make it even worse or dont work at all. When i get it really bad i use this stuff for at least 2 weeks straight i wash it twice in one shower session. once its all gone i go back to my regular shampoos and use the neutrogena at least once a week,

Caty

I had this issue at one point, it was hellov annoying. I tried everything slesum blue, head n shoulders etc;. Until I discovered: OJON. this stuff works miracles! NO LIE! It makes your hair like new, shiny and back to life. as far as the dryness I used Paul Mitchelles Tea Tree Oil line, it also worked wonders. Tea Tree Oil has a lot of good beneifts from head to toe.

I hope that was of some help
winks.gif

amber_j

I second the Aveda recommendation. When I had relaxed hair I used their Shampure shampoo and conditioner. It's very gentle and moisturising, but also gets your hair really clean (I suspect some of my flakes were from built up product). I like the Scalp Remedy, but I found it was too watery and so made my hair frizzy.

Instead, once a week I'd use Sulfur8 (the light formula) on my scalp. I still do that now even though I wear my hair natural. It's the only thing that stops the flaking, especially in the winter. It does smell a bit though... lol... so use it sparingly!

Kayteuk

I used to use T gel. Sometimes having so many chemicals in your hair makes it worse, So often using T-Gel shampoo calms things down.
Also there is the series of shampoo in the White or Grey bottles by Kerastase.

user79

I had nasty dandruff after an allergic reaction to some horrible TiGi shampoo, and I used something by Roche Posay called Kerium Intensif....it worked amazingly well! It's a bit pricey for a small bottle but you only use it once or twice a week and gets rid of all the dandruff. You might want to change your normal shampoo as well to something more gentle.

rocheposay_kerium_intensif.jpg