Dark side of the MAC world

stacilx

So I was only introduced to MAC late last year by my sister and now I'm discovering all the old collections I never knew about and having fallen in love with the riri boy lipstick I decided to go on a hunt and have been horrified to see the prices I mean people are selling these for like $60 and upward it's crazy it's amazed me at how money hungry this industry can be !! So I was wondering what others thought about it ?

Dominique33

Every industry is money hungry I fear. MAC among others. 60$ for a lippie, well yes insane but the world is insane unfortunately. Free to say no, areń t we ?

Princesa Livia

It all has to do with the supply and demand dictating costs of products. MAC makes a killing with that by not making enough of a certain product that with the hype and with the demand the price that people can sell it for goes up. I suppose you'll just have to weigh it up yourself whether you feel it is worth the $60... imho it probably isn't and having been a MAC collector for some time now, similar things will probably crop up in the future!
flower.gif

I say stay clear of the temptation and save your money!
cheerleader.gif

stacilx

Yh at that price I won't be buying it I'll be patient and see if I can find someone selling it who is less greedy !! Lol

foxykita143

I don't know if I would say greedy, to some people who collect and love MAC, it is that important to them. My boyfriend, for instance, loves Floyd Mayweather and sports memorabilia, so I spent around $500 on a certain signed glove for him. I could care less about it, I'd use it as an oven mitt in a pinch, (haha not really), but to someone who loves it, it is important. I am not really a collector myself, but certain collaborations were important to me as a MAC fan, and I always grab at least one lipstick if the tube is designed and the color suits me. For instance, I loooved Hollywood Nights from the Heatherette collection, and I did end up spending $40 for it. The packaging was to die for, and I love the designers so it was a must for me, I easily would have spent $60, but that would have been my limit. I still have that lipstick, and I always feel awesome and at the risk of sounding ridiculous its special whenever I use it.

foxykita143

Right, kind of like an off the the races! I can say that it sucks a bit that people will buy tons of products just to flip it online, therefore making it harder for others to get it at regular price, but if you are on top of the time it comes out, you will for sure snag up a few. Also I've found that if you go to a mall that is less popular in your area, they will have the favorite colors weeks after the launch.

stacilx

Really I think my main issue is the people buying it all up to sell on eBay and just decide to quadruple the price then instantly making it more wanted hence creating a circle !!

foxykita143

I know what you mean stacilx, I haven't looked on ebay in a while but I would be curious to see what the price would go up to based on bids as opposed to the "buy it now" option

Dominique33

The hunt and urgency of getting the collections quickly is part of the fun IMO.
I agree but it's also part of an addiction in a way. So far I counted as many as 62 MAC collections for 2014 ( LE and permanent ones ), assuming the fact that there are many other brands.... Well, clearly it is much fun and also addictive.
sigh.gif
But yes fun too !
rasta.gif

shopandconquer

So I was only introduced to MAC late last year by my sister and now I'm discovering all the old collections I never knew about and having fallen in love with the riri boy lipstick I decided to go on a hunt and have been horrified to see the prices I mean people are selling these for like $60 and upward it's crazy it's amazed me at how money hungry this industry can be !! So I was wondering what others thought about it ?
I am in the same situation with Gladiola. It is currently listed at over $100 dollars and although I REALLY WANT IT, the price is giving me major pause. I keep thinking what if MAC brings it back... I will feel even worst about spending so much now

je13h

That's the thing. We never know if mac is gonna bring something back. Like lightscapade it was gone forever and now is permanent

stacilx

I'm holding out for whisper of gilt to come back I've seen people have it up for such ridiculous prices but then I also saw one sell for £14 on another site there are people out there often just wanting someone else to get the benefit of something that didn't suit them much like I got riri boy in the end and also heaux from a lady for $17 each !! Was so happy

shopandconquer

It would be nice if MAC would limit people to purchasing only what they personally needed, still allowing for backups of course. That would not allow people to stockpile LE for commercial purposes after MAC is sold out.

Dominique33

It would be nice if MAC would limit people to purchasing only what they personally needed, still allowing for backups of course. That would not allow people to stockpile LE for commercial purposes after MAC is sold out.
It would be nice if MAC would limit the collections. From an artistic point of view, it makes no sense IMO all the more as MAC was initially a niche brand. 20 collections a year that would be much better than well, more than 50 for 2014 if I am not going wrong, in fact that is insane, too many collections IMO.

DILLIGAF

It would be nice if MAC would limit the collections. From an artistic point of view, it makes no sense IMO all the more as MAC was initially a niche brand. 20 collections a year that would be much better than well, more than 50 for 2014 if I am not going wrong, in fact that is insane, too many collections IMO.
I doubt that the people that are snatching things up to sell at a later date are working alone. I'm sure they work in teams. Even if everyone were only allowed two items that would just mean bigger teams to get more product.

shopandconquer

Hopefully bigger teams would mean less individual profit which provide less incentive to engage in the behavior. I am not suggesting that the high mark resale of LE's can be eliminated however I do believe that MAC can put measures in place to make it more difficult.

shopandconquer

:agree: