Dear Holiday Hours, Go Away!

reverieinbflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
sooo... uhm Queens Center mall (queens, ny) is open 24 hours. im like hi, not a 7-11. thank god roosevelt field isnt like that or id quit. the past month ive been working 12 to 12 shifts Fri, Sat and Sun. I was ringing someone up today and he was just quite overly annoyingly pretentious and i didnt say "merry christmas" or "happy holidays" and he started FLIPPING OUT. i started a sentence in retaliation to the effect of "work 36 hours on your feet every weekend for peanuts with obnoxious people and lets see how merry your christmas is" but i stopped and walked away.

I'm not in cosmetics, but I feel you totally. I work in a 24hr restaurant. I come in every weekend with knowledge that someone on thirds might call out, and I'll probably have to work.

And the whole "merry christmas" thing. I make a point to say "happy holidays" on principle, after anyone tells me "merry christmas." i've gotten some evil look andn ot so nice workds from that one. "jesus is the reason for the season." and blah blah blah. Not for me lady.

Bernadette

I'm done, next three days off, woohoo!!! Hang in there guys. I'm still a little worried about the after Christmas rush and the returns/exchanges.
I always say "Happy Holidays" to people and if they say "Merry Christmas" then I say it back. I figure "Happy Holidays" covers the new year too and am not just saying it because it's the PC way to go.
Hang in there guys!

Gblue

9-8 tomorrow! yeesh. it'll be dead after 4pm, but at least i can sort out the stuff for the sale and perhaps get some of my delivery that's been building up over a week done - it's so frustrating when someone asks if i'm out of something, because i literally don't have the time to get the delivery done so i have to rifle through it looking, and it's stacked higher than me at the moment!
i'm gonna be dressed as jack skellington tomorrow, so at least my dark circles will be covered up with actual black stuff! and then going out in the night. i'll be a dead man walking on xmas morning!
the store looks like a tip at the moment, absolutely impossible to tidy up because of the sheer volume of customers and the lack of time, even after the store closed i was too busy trying to just get some stock on the shelves ready for first thing tomorrow!
between me and the 2 girls on my department, we took £45k just today and yesterday, it's been absolutely crazy!

Love Always Ivy

i was working another 11 to 9 shift today. i got so frazzled i left around 6.
tomorrow im working 12 to 9. tell me the mall closes at 6. stupid clearance floorset. acting like we dont have families and shit.

at least they so graciously gave us christmas day off.....

looooch

ugh, I have never dread the holidays as much as I do this year. I work at sephora and I had to work from 3pm-11:30pm one day and open at 6:30am-3pm the next day
angry.gif
it sucked to say the least. Another day i had to work til 1am...i think by now i have gone mad
th_crazy.gif
hope everyone else is surviving the madness

MisStarrlight

Since my Macy's is so close to Queens Center & Roosevelt Field, they made us stay open until 2am last Fri, Sat & Sun. Thankfully I didn't have to work any of those 2am shifts, but since it was my last week, they really screwed my on my schedule...

My last week went a little something like this....
12/19-5pm-midnight-4 hours of sleep & I had to be back the next morning
12/20-8am-2:30pm-and then I had a going away party that night
12/21-2-10pm-also the night of the holiday party, but for the second year in the row I worked through it...and since we were short staffed because of the party, I didn't actually get to leave the store till 11pm
12/22-5:30am-2:30pm-you do the math-I live an hour away from the counter (got home at midnight), didn't go to sleep for another hour or two, work up at 3:30 to get showered, dressed & makeup-ed, another hour to get back to the store...and I didn't even have a single customer until 8am.
12/23-off-after the 2 days before, thank frikin god, but I spent the day packing up the remainder of my apartment
12/24-Xmas eve-my last day-10-6 (didn't get to take my break till 5pm..AND the store didn't clear out till just before 7) & after that I had to pack all of my life into my car & drive 7 hours to my new house.

MissMarley

ughh...die holidays, die. i was at my store at 5:30 am on christmas eve, had christmas day off, and now i'm not off again till new year's day. i'm so freaking tired, i can barely put makeup on myself, let alone anyone else. when i got to work today, i noticed how crooked and scary my eyeliner was. i'm on my lunch break now and i'm just trying to stay awake. at least no more midnights till next year!

Love Always Ivy

know what i hate the most? holiday hours are pretty much over, but the holiday season has left me a great aversion to work now. and i used to LOVE my job and i used to LOVE going to work. now i loathe it. that makes me super upset.