Delayed Muscle Soreness

Dark_Phoenix

What do you do to stop delayed muscle soreness?

I've begun weight training, cycling, and running. All indoors.

I started exercising again because I really, really want to try doing a triathalon with my boyfriend this summer (May). So I've been doing about an hour on the bike or cycle everyday, and weight training every other day. I need to build up endurance so that's why I'm training for so long. (I'll start swimming in March)

But my muscles in my legs and abs hurt the day after I work out. My trainer has told me not to take an analgesics because it interferes with the reinforcement process. I can't take advil or aspririn because of a bleeding disorder.

purrtykitty

Try alternating heat and cold compresses. Ben-Gay is also an alternative, but it's pretty stinky. I does work really well...I used to use it all the time during Volleyball training in high school.

COBI

To repeat Shimmer's question: What's your cool down?

Proper stretching post-workout will help reduce DOMS a lot.

Divinity

I recommend 5-10 minutes of stretching/cool down after every work out and it really helps!

saj20052006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinity
I recommend 5-10 minutes of stretching/cool down after every work out and it really helps!

Also, hot baths help. This is normal especially if you are working muscles you haven't worked in quite some time. After a while you won't have the aching feeling anymore because your muscles will be adapt to your routine.

I started working out about 6 months ago after a 1.5 year hiatus and I was doing an hour a day at least 4 times a week cardio and strength training and the soreness always kicked in a day or two later. Now I'm a champ and went from 152lbs to 140 and my muscle build is much more defined especially in my arms and legs.

Dark_Phoenix

I've started doing contrast showers after I exercise and a hot bath the next day. It's working!! My legs, especially, aren't nearly as sore.

Can't eat or take supplements for Potassium. Another stupid restriction (some of my meds are nephrotoxic).

I was cooling down before, we do so for about ten minutes at the end of class. I tried going to yoga after cycling and it just made me feel angry and pissed off for some reason.

MissLorsie

Try some light active movement the day after - say if you work your legs out the day after try some light walking on the treadmill - BUT The imperative word is LIGHT!!

An increase in blood flow to the areas suffering DOMS will aid in muscle regeneration and repair
smiles.gif