Differences between these black bases for lids? Which is your favourite, and why?

appleblossm

I've seen tutorials where MAC's Blackground p/p and sometimes even Blacktrack fluidline is used as a base. Also, the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean is used quite a bit too.
hmm.gif

• If I were to use a black base under Urban Decay's Flipside shadow to make it more vivid, which would you use?

• Which is your favourite, and why?

• How do each of these bases affect the shadow differently?
Thanks for your help!
bigheart.gif

smellyocheese

Blackground PP: Creamy and easy to work with. Shouldn't crease after it dries. The pearl finish will compliment the frost in Flipside. This would be my pick

Blacktrack FL: Once it dries it'll be very difficult to blend so if you're not fast you may end up with a very harsh line. Also, it dries matte hence it may not bring out a shimmery Flipside too well

Black Bean JEP: Very creamy but it doesn't actually dry up so if you have oily lids it may crease. Many people don't experience creasing but I do so...
It's a flat black color with no shimmer but quite dark

blazeno.8

I have only swatched Blackground. I didn't like it because it was too shimmery.
I like Blacktrack a lot as a base. If it feels too dry you can add a tiny amount of glycerin to it and it will be bit smoother (I only do that in the pot). It only adds the darkness and nothing else. I think that's a good thing because then you can contrast the shimmery nature of Flipside with a nice matte black eyeshadow like Carbon.
I haven't tried Blackbean.

Lyssah

smellyocheese hit the nail on the head.

I would recommend Blackground for the reasons she said.

In my personal experience I have used both, but prefer Blackground over Backtrack because it's not so flat and add a little life to the colours I am using over it.
Or if I'm wearing a smokey eye it's not just plain boring black.

Honey xOo

Blackground is def my fav! The pearl finish just helps bring out any frost/pearl/shimmer in the shadow u place on top of it. I haven't tried Blackbean but I want to, NYX is so cheap it's easy to just test everything lol.

Shadowy Lady

If you can get your hands on Grease Paint Stick, that is by far the best black base. I have tried Blackground, NYX and Blacktrack and none of them even compare to Grease Paint Stick which is slightly shimmery and does not budge once you set it.

mariserinb

i would say if you wanted flipside to show up brighter that you use a blue/turquoise base underneath it or nyx jumbo pencil in milk. i find that black bases work best under things like the style black shadows or other black colors.

jazmatazz

I like blacktrack because it's something I already have. Once used as an e/s base this stuff will not budge! Especially good for special events/parties. I have partied at night and come back home to perfect eyeshadow because of this baby.

For daywear I use Blackbean because it's super affordable and creamy. Also, comes off easier at the end of the day than blacktrack.

Any black base you use will definitely make your shadows more vibrant, bold and true to color.