Do I Need a Face Primer?

Elusive21

I've been hearing a lot about face primers and I was just wondering if I really need one? I've never used one before so I feel like I don't need it, but if it will really make my foundation stay on my face longer, maybe I'll give it a try. I'm curious about what else primers are used for. What have your guys's experiences with face primers been and which ones would you recommend?

A couple that I have been looking at online are "Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector" and MAC prep and prime face products.

gildedangel

Primers are not really a necessity, but I like the one I use because it has SPF and it helps my makeup stay on longer. I use MAC Prep and Prime SPF 50 and I really like it, although it is not a product for everyone.

Candy Christ

I think that primers are a necessity for everyone. You should try the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel. It's only eight dollars and it works really good.

kaliraksha

I think some of it depends on your climate, skin type, makeup type used. I really like my primer because I live in a hot sometimes humid area where my makeup can just melt off... I also love the even application I get from using a primer. You may want to try the small Smashbox tube sold at Sephora first to see if primer is beneficial to you.

RedRibbon

Clinique's pore minimiser is pretty rubbish as a pore minimiser, it made mine look bigger if anything. I use Benefit's Dr Feelgood for my pores but I feel a primer on its own would be good.

I used a sample of the Smashbox one, I put too much on and it made me look furry but it really made a difference to my face in pics, sans foundation I looked very smooth so I can only imagine what it will do with foundation.

kimmy

i use mac prep + prime skin and used mineral foundation over it. the primer helps minimize the appearance of pores (which is good for me because mine are huge,) and helps my makeup stay put even when it's hot and muggy outside. i'd definately suggest giving it a try, i did and i will never ever go back to using foundation without primer.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I think primer is essential. The Clinique stuff is crap. I've tried that and it does nothing. Personally I haven't tried MAC's Prep + Prime, but I've heard bad things about it. I use the new Oil-Control Prime Time by Bare Minerals and I like it. There is the original version as well if you don't need oil control. You may want to do a search for primers to give you an idea of what companies to look to because there are so many out there and people are always asking which primer they should use.