Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

NappyMACDiva3

Also I never had to return makeup anywhere except a Rimmel eye glistener because it broke me out. I believe in testing in the store before purchasing. I may check it out 2-3 times before buying. I always test foundations before buying. I only buy foundation from MAC or think of MUFE also if I can get a sample or test in store and then check lighting outside before purchasing. I do agree that people should not return when they get a makeover. I have heard some friends talk about doing this and I feel that if you can't afford a makeover or the makeup then do your own makeup at home, etc(don't try to scam). There are testers in the store and the MUAs are happy to assist with finding the colors we may like and assisting with testing them on us. Even if I order online and I am iffy on the color, I test in the store 1st. I don't buy alot of drugsore makeup because I can't test. I love Sephora, MAC, Macy's, Nordstrom, etc. because I can test until I am blue in the face and then take home what works for me. Also I did want to return my 187SE, but talked to the manager and found out some things that helped. I ask alot of questions before I buy, so I don't return things also. I understand there are exceptions like if it smells foul, etc, but to return because you don't like the color(when you could have tested in the store). All the freestanding stores and counters I test and purchase from do sanitize the testers before use. I just think if we test more and return less then the prices will not rise as fast and we will get more for our money.

th_DANCE.gif
mac_addict.gif

buddhy

I didn't even know that you could return used product. I'm one of these "look at, test, read reviews, look at swatches" before I buy kind of buyers so I very rarely make a bad purchase.

If it turned out I was allergic to something I wouldn't even think of taking it back.

I've worked in retail so I know that any returns have to be thrown away, even if it is still sealed, etc incase you have tampered with the product.

It's a shame that people abuse the systems though, they really do push prices up for everyone else!

AlliSwan

Okay, I bought Stud eyebrow pencil back when I dyed my hair black, and just found it in my "empty boxes from MAC" bag while cleaning. It's BNIB and I still have the receipt but I bought it MONTHS ago so I am well outside the 30 day return policy. I have no friends or family who would use it, and I'm back to blonde
ssad.gif
ANY chance they'll take it back?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliSwan
Okay, I bought Stud eyebrow pencil back when I dyed my hair black, and just found it in my "empty boxes from MAC" bag while cleaning. It's BNIB and I still have the receipt but I bought it MONTHS ago so I am well outside the 30 day return policy. I have no friends or family who would use it, and I'm back to blonde
ssad.gif
ANY chance they'll take it back?

if its past the 30 days, you're outta luck.

sell it in the CB.

brassdancer

I know the items are expensive to make and such, but with any other product, if it just doesnt work for you over some time you have the right to return it. You can test the color and such, but you never know how your skin will react to it after long time use.

Strawberrymold

It drives me insane when people buy items just to get a "free make-over" then return them after their events. Especially when the MUA has spent an hour or more of their time with you (time they spent when they could have been helping someone who wasn't going to scam them). Do people really go into a store and know that they are planing on doing this? I just don't understand how someone could not see that it is wrong, mean, and rude as hell.

blindpassion

^ Yeah and the shitty part about it is, that if the MA who did your makeover, also rung you up - once those products are returned, it takes away from their numbers!

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrymold
It drives me insane when people buy items just to get a "free make-over" then return them after their events. Especially when the MUA has spent an hour or more of their time with you (time they spent when they could have been helping someone who wasn't going to scam them). Do people really go into a store and know that they are planing on doing this? I just don't understand how someone could not see that it is wrong, mean, and rude as hell.

They don't care...they only think of themselves.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrymold

people suck.

MUALindsay

I tried to search, but with a 5 character minimum, it made it hard.

So, on Oct 13th, I placed an order via macpro.com and got Studio Fix Fluid in NC20 (my NC25 MSF Liquid and SS were a bit dark at the moment). My nearest store is ~3 hours away.

Anyways, the more I try SFF, the more I can tell it's too dark and a bit orange for me. Sadly, I pitched the receipt, but still have the box.

Can I print out my order from the online history and/or email and exchange it? FYI, this would be done on Oct 31st and at the St. Louis STORE.

-Thanks!

Searchin

Now I'm feeling like a huge jerk! I've gone to counters before and have had SA's apply make-up such as eye-shadow, foundation, or a lip look. Hoping that the look/product will work for me, and to save a return trip to the mall, I have purchased the products used on me. If the product didn't work out (wrong color/product changes color over the course of the day/lipstick wears off with each sip of water), or I realized I already had a product at home that was very similar to that just purchased, I have always taken stuff back (not referring specifically to a MAC counter, but also other department store makeup counters). Bear in mind it is unopened and unused and returned within a reasonable time of making the purchase. I honestly didn't know unopened and unused product was trashed! OMG, I feel horrible! Guess I'll won't be exchanging the Spice lip-liner used under the Viva Glam V lipstick for a lighter color even though the dark lip-liner look is currently out of fashion!

Thanks for this very educational thread. BTW, I've worked retail handling clothing returns. Yeah, love the explanation that the clothes stink of cigarette smoke simply because they were in the purchaser's car and the deodorant stains happened when the clothes were tried on.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin
Now I'm feeling like a huge jerk! I've gone to counters before and have had SA's apply make-up such as eye-shadow, foundation, or a lip look. Hoping that the look/product will work for me, and to save a return trip to the mall, I have purchased the products used on me. If the product didn't work out (wrong color/product changes color over the course of the day/lipstick wears off with each sip of water), or I realized I already had a product at home that was very similar to that just purchased, I have always taken stuff back (not referring specifically to a MAC counter, but also other department store makeup counters). Bear in mind it is unopened and unused and returned within a reasonable time of making the purchase. I honestly didn't know unopened and unused product was trashed! OMG, I feel horrible! Guess I'll won't be exchanging the Spice lip-liner used under the Viva Glam V lipstick for a lighter color even though the dark lip-liner look is currently out of fashion!

Thanks for this very educational thread. BTW, I've worked retail handling clothing returns. Yeah, love the explanation that the clothes stink of cigarette smoke simply because they were in the purchaser's car and the deodorant stains happened when the clothes were tried on.

Soothing Beige Lip Condish+Spice Lipliner buffed into lips+VGV Lipstick=Fabulous. Play around with Spice...it's a staple!
smiles.gif

Searchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
Soothing Beige Lip Condish+Spice Lipliner buffed into lips+VGV Lipstick=Fabulous. Play around with Spice...it's a staple!
smiles.gif

I keep hearing this is the case with Spice. Thanks for the info and encouragement!

onlylindah

That's really frustrating that they just throw it away! I always have to return things because the makeup artist gives me the wrong products since I purchase a majority of the collections most of the time. I don't feel too bad because it was solely their fault that they rang me up the wrong products and wasn't careful, but I still feel bad for returning since I don't like to return makeup!

enfusraye

I've never had a problem returning anything whether it be a a MAC counter, store or like a sephora for a different brand. Makeup is expensive!!! If I'm not 100% about a product you better believe I'm going to return/exchange it. Personally, trying something once never gives me a clear view of how I'm going to like a product so I normally spend a week or so with it before I know for sure. I think at this point I've tried four MAC foundations and have returned every single one (other than face and body) just because they didn't work out. MAC still has my money, I've always exchanged the product for something else and when I reached the end of the line I exchanged for eyeshadows. And the ladies at the store are always super nice and understanding about why I'm exchanging.

If i was a MAC MA i'd probably only get annoyed if the person used nearly all of the product and decided to return it. Otherwise i wouldn't really care since its not my company.

blackmetalmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1124
I recently got a VG II lipstick from MAC and it was foul smelling....Yep returned it because it needed to be trashed........I wouldn't even wish that tube of funk on anyone .

I bought a VG II and it also smelled. Im gonna be exchanging mine pretty soon. I wonder if this particular lipstick has problems
thmbdn.gif

queli13

that's so weird that she would throw the eyeshadow away like that... don't they even try to get the empties? would that be contradictory to their whole bring back empties and be ecological thing? i can't believe she just tossed it like that! i always thought they recycled the containers at least!