Do you play a musical instrument?

redambition

instruments i have taken lessons in: voice and flute.

instruments i dabble with myself: guitar, piano, drums.

what do i play: not very much anymore. i used to play a wide variety of things, from modern to classical.

what i'd like to learn: harp. loooove the harp. would also like to learn sax.

msmack

the harp is beautiful! there are so many different kinds! those are pricy little instruments too!

TIERAsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmack
Anyone on here play a musical instrument?.... I work in a musical instrument store (I'm obsessed with guitars!) and try to pick up a few songs on almost every instrument I touch... I GOT A UKELELE TODAY and I am busy strummin' out "when the saint's go marching in" like a mad woman! MUSIC IS SO REWARDING! So....YAH! What do you play? What would you like to learn to play? What kind of music do you play? I wanna hear~!
clap.gif

omg, i'm hawaiian & here in hawaii every house has 3 things: a big tv, a rice cooker, and at least one ukulele. i've been playing since is was like 7. i also play piano, drums, anything percussive, and wee bit of guitar.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmack
the harp is beautiful! there are so many different kinds! those are pricy little instruments too!

i know! they are like the double bass... hugely expensive but just so awesome.
smiles.gif

Pink Xenomorph

I was a first-chair clarinet from fifth grade through eighth grade. I had to stop because my connective tissue disorder was making my fingers dislocate and therefore I couldn't keep-up with the first-chair music sheets' level of difficulty.

I still play casually and I'm still rather good--I can play a good amount of film themes simply by listening to them a few times--but I miss being in a band. Goddamn Ehlers-Danlos, ruins everything. sigh. Ahh well. I'm just happy I can still play at all.

I always wanted to learn how to play the bassoon. I think those instruments are absolutely beautiful, both in sound and in design. As a child I was told I didn't have the lung capacity to fill the instrument but now that I'm older, I'm wondering if I could teach myself how. Now if only my hands would cooperate....

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Xenomorph
I always wanted to learn how to play the bassoon. I think those instruments are absolutely beautiful, both in sound and in design. As a child I was told I didn't have the lung capacity to fill the instrument but now that I'm older, I'm wondering if I could teach myself how. Now if only my hands would cooperate....

Actually, for double reed instruments you can have a relatively low lung capacity. Think about it: how much air can get into such a tiny hole?

Flutes have the worst lung capacity, they can barely make it through 16 counts without one breath. But oboes, bassoons, and English horns can go a loooong time and it's because of the structure of the instrument. They have to actually dump a breath and take a new one because of how little air the instrument can take in.

Oh, and Oboe (not sure about bassoon) is a bitch. F**ked up fingerings, like moving your fingers up to play lower and and down to play higher.

msmack

I saw a bassoon today! ...and thats kinda rare in these parts. This was made of all wood and was absolutly beautiful. Looked tricky to play though!!