Do you use plastic bags at the grocery store?

ohnna-lee

I bought the canvas totes. They are much easier to handle. Plus you don't get the insane accumulation of plastic bags under the sink... and between the fridge... and in the trash. I shop too much! Keeping it to a three bag minimum forces me to go more often. I feel guilty having plastic along with my canvas. It also is easier to unload, even if the bag boys have a hard time loading them. See, I ask all the important questions.

Kayteuk

In the UK one of our biggest stores are charging us to use plastic bags, about .25$/12p.
I dont see people in the UK using plastic bags much anymore, they are mostly paper or people bring their own. I tend to use big bags as my handbag and put it all in there :)

ohnna-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayteuk
In the UK one of our biggest stores are charging us to use plastic bags, about .25$/12p.
I dont see people in the UK using plastic bags much anymore, they are mostly paper or people bring their own. I tend to use big bags as my handbag and put it all in there :)

They will eventually do the same thing in the states. Funny how when something is free it is so appealing.
nonono.gif

Zoffe

We pay for plastic bags pretty much everywhere here (Denmark) so people usually use the bags several times. They're made of pretty thick plastic so they can easily be used a lot of times - that's what I do :]

benzito_714

i still do. i usually go shopping once a month so i bring upwards of 20 bags (my husband is a monster when it comes to food). i want to get into fabric bags so i am trying to purchase one or two at a time.

MzzRach

Quote:

Kayte is that Marks & Spencer? Last time I was in London (in March) one of their staff told me they would be doing just this, which I think is fantastic.

I have loads of reusable shopping bags - I keep a foldable one in my handbag, and a couple of large ones in my car. You never know when you need to pop by a store and pick something up, and this way I am always ready.

couturesista

Nope! I have a ton of reuseable bags from Giant, Joann's Fabrics, Target and Whole Foods. I keep them in my trunk so when I go shopping, I can just grab them and go. I even suggested to a MUA @ MAC that they should get some Black reuseable MAC bags, because my FAFI bag is gettin really worn out! Yup, I use my FAFI bag for all my MAC purchases!

TISH1124

Nope...paper....Stores that I go to that don't use reusable bags I take my own...But the grocery store that do have paper, I will ask for Paper bags. Now when my husband goes to the store he comes back with 20 bags since they put one item in a bag it seems. But I always Take my "I'm Not a Brown Bag" bag when I go to the mall, etc. But sometimes it does get a little difficult not to use plastic depending on the store and the volume I am buying.

user79

You have to pay for bags at the grocery store here, so I have a reusable big tote that I take grocery shopping. It really cuts down on plastic.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
You have to pay for bags at the grocery store here, so I have a reusable big tote that I take grocery shopping. It really cuts down on plastic.

Really?? Wow...That would help cut down on tree kills here if they charged for the bags!

Kayteuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Kayte is that Marks & Spencer? Last time I was in London (in March) one of their staff told me they would be doing just this, which I think is fantastic.

I have loads of reusable shopping bags - I keep a foldable one in my handbag, and a couple of large ones in my car. You never know when you need to pop by a store and pick something up, and this way I am always ready.

Yes it is! And a few other stores are doing it in 2009! Thank god, I hope tesco do it. They produce so much waste when I worked there...

couturesista

There's a discount supermarket here in MD that charges .10 for small plastic bags and .15 for large ones. The smart thing to do would be to purchase one of their Xlarge reusuable bags for $1.99, that's what I did. I use mine for everything!

TISH1124

Yeah but I would need about 10 of those sometimes the way my two guys eat! Grocery shopping is one of my most expensive bills...

couturesista

I see ur pt!
winkiss.gif
I have an obsession with these bags now, its like every store that I go to are offering their own version and because I"m a regular shopper at these stores, I just buy a bunch. My boyfriend recently said I need a bag intervention.
th_LMAO.gif
Some of them are sooo cute though.
cutey.gif
Like Giant, last year for Breast Cancer Awareness month their bags were pink, I have about 6 pink Giant totes! I need help!
th_confused_new.gif
th_confused_new.gif

MzzRach

Quote:
Yes it is! And a few other stores are doing it in 2009! Thank god, I hope tesco do it. They produce so much waste when I worked there...

Oh my yes, Tesco should definitely do this as well.

The reusable MAC bag idea is fantastic! I'm surprised they have not done this already, actually.

ginger9

I bring different canvas, totes with me when I go grocery shopping. I'm also thinking I should bring a big purse next time when I go shopping at the mall so I can cut down on the packaging.

noahlowryfan

plastic bags are ban in chain stores in San Francisco like Walgreens, Rite Aid and Safeway so all they have are paper bags or those reusable heavy duty plastic type of bags. i don't bring my own bag when i go shopping.

Kayteuk

I kinda pick where I shop too! So I like to shop in the places that use the paper bags for clothes and stuff. Because I can re use them and they are pretty sturdy!