Does size matter?

Indian Barbie

I've always wanted to work for MAC, Dior and similar cosmetic counters but I feel discouraged to apply to positions because I'm a very curvatious woman and it seems that everyone who gets to work there are very skinny... Am I being too harsh on myself or realistic? lol...

Beauty Mark

I don't know what your area is like, but I've seen women and men of all shapes and sizes working the counters and stores in Baltimore, DC, Boston, and NYC. I think you should try.

kaliraksha

Same here, I've seen all types of people working at my counter. And wouldn't it be a little hypocritical to go against their mantra? Seriously, don't worry about that... as long as you have the skills and have a professional demeneor and look put together you should apply wherever you please. I insist you apply!

Indian Barbie

thanks guys! I'll give it shot when I get back home!
thmbup.gif

I'm very self critical you see...

maxcat

All ages, all races... all fabulous shapes and sizes!
It's your fabulousness that will get you the gig!!

lilviolingrrl

Don't even worry about it! The lovely lads and ladies at my freestanding come in every shape, size, and color.
smiles.gif
I say go for it! And if that's you in your icon...SMOKIN'!
smiles.gif

calbear

If your pic is true, you have nothing to worry about. My area has some WAYYYY 'curvier' girls AND guys. WAYYYYYYYYYYYY curvier. So just show your talent and you will be fine.

shabdebaz

You are beautiful. For the record, 8 out of the 10 girls that work at our counter (the 11th is a guy) are CURVY, including me.

user79

I've seen curvy and slightly overweight women and men work at MAC too. I don't think your body shape should stop you from applying. The only way I could see it being a problem is if someone is so overweight they can't fit the behind the counter! lol

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
You better stop thinking like that. Us curvey girls are taking over.
smiles.gif

*size 12 poppin her collar*

:dancey:

Alright string bean, size 12 ain't nothing - I know some smooth 22's, who you couldn't tell they shouldn't be working at MAC due to their size.

Simply Elegant

I've seen girls at the MAC counter I go to who look like they're between a 0 all the way to maybe 18. So I don't think you'll have a hard time due to your size.
smiles.gif

ilovexnerdsx

all sizes at my counter. there's everything from an adorable, young, cute girl with a perfect smile and a high voice, to an elegant older woman with plenty of curves and knows what she's doin'.
winks.gif

in your avatar, you look GORGEOUS. i'll be UPSET if you dont apply!
greengrin.gif

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
Alright string bean, size 12 ain't nothing - I know some smooth 22's, who you couldn't tell they shouldn't be working at MAC due to their size.

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear

Not smooth 22's.. LMAO

That's what I'm talking about. And black is slimming anyway.
rofl.gif

BEA2LS

I was worried about the same thing before applying.. I don't think it would be a problem at all with MAC. My fear is that I would have to start somewhere else since I am just getting into this industry. I myself am about a 20-22 and am very worried about this kind of job. I am going for it anyway though, have you ever applied?

liv

I agree with everyone else! There is a refreshing variety of MA's of all shapes, sizes, and colors at my counter, which is more than I can say for some of the other makeup counters. The only way your pants size can get in your way is if you let it.

Loveleighe

i too have seen all sizes and shapes at various counters. In fact the counter closest to my has an employee who is ( i don't want to sound mean saying this.) but she is severely overweight and well to be honest i don't think any of the clients care because the faces that she does are absolutely beautiful. I think it's about the quality of your work versus the quantity as in pounds.