Does Your 109 Shed??

shadowaddict

I just recently purchased the 109 brush and started using it for my Studio Sculpt foundation. But I keep getting hairs all over my face. I washed it before I ever used it like I do all my brushes and wash after each use. It has been washed now 8--10 times and I'm still getting hairs stuck to my face as I am doing my foundation. I bought this from my MAC store so it's not a fake. Could I be doing something wrong here?

I am new to using a brush for my foundation as I have always found it easier to use clean fingers. Even with this since SS is more creamy than liquid I dab some on my face with my finger then in circle motions blend and buff. I do like that my foundation doesn't look caked on and more natural with this brush but I hate stopping and picking black hairs off my face. And it's not shedding when I wash it. Any suggestions?

bextacyaddict

i have the same problem with my 187, and i got mine from a mac store too
ssad.gif

staceb1990

I also have issues with a shedding 109 brush. Everybody says that as long as you're gentle it won't shed, but I'm very gentle and it still sheds.

spectrolite

^^Mine used to shed heaps when I used it for foundations but now that I use it with powders and for highlighting which I think is its purpose - no shedding whatsoever.

NeonKitty

Mine sheds, definitely, with foundation use. However, the amount of shedding has drastically reduced since I've taken to lightly buffing the foundation on instead of almost grinding it, lol, if you get what I mean. I only get a hair or two if that now.

SassyMochaJess

I also use mine specifically for applying foundation and it sheds like crazy! I don't think there's anything I can do to stop/reduce the shedding. Besides that I love this brush!

blindpassion

I find if you're rough with it, it will shed and the hairs will break as well.

I use it with quite a light hand and get next to no shedding.

My mom uses it with a very strong hand and has hairs all over her face.

MzzRach

I find it sheds a bit with creams or liquids; however with powders, no shedding whatsoever.

chilwah

My one only shed when I'm in a hurry and rough with it. I agree if you are gentle with the brush then there should be minimal shedding.

II3rinII

natural hair brushes like the 109 are not the best for studio sculpt, being a gel based formula the natural hairs will soak it up. synthetic brushes work best with this formula. and as everyone said, use a light hand with it, let the tips barely graze the skin also if youre going to use a natural hair brush to apply this foundation spritz it first with fix+, this will help it to not absorb as much.

BRosa

Well, as other ladies have mentioned, it is better to use it for powder products or blending your foundation. I had to stop using it because after 1yr it still sheds like crazy. It's a great brush but I had to stop using it to apply liquid or cream foundation, again, I just use it to buff my skin. Perfect for blush, highlighting or counturing.

VintageAqua

I've also had this problem esp when using liquid foundations with it. If I buff it gently into a clean paper towel before using it, it will take off the excess hairs sometimes.

iluvlipstick

I just got the 109 brush too and I have not used it to apply foundation. I used it to apply some pressed powder because I had forgot my powder brush when I went out of town. My brush also shed and I only used it very lightly on my chin, nose and forehead. It wasn't a lot but I looked in my mirror in my car and that's where I found the little black hairs. Hopefully it's because it's new.

shadowaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
natural hair brushes like the 109 are not the best for studio sculpt, being a gel based formula the natural hairs will soak it up. synthetic brushes work best with this formula. and as everyone said, use a light hand with it, let the tips barely graze the skin also if youre going to use a natural hair brush to apply this foundation spritz it first with fix+, this will help it to not absorb as much.

Is there another brush that would be better for this foundation? I have tried the 190 before with Studio Fix Fluid and I just had streaks as I am not very good at this. I would appreciate any suggestions and tips for application.

Thank you to everyone.

spectrolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaddict
Is there another brush that would be better for this foundation? I have tried the 190 before with Studio Fix Fluid and I just had streaks as I am not very good at this. I would appreciate any suggestions and tips for application.

Thank you to everyone.

^I watched a video on YouTube a while ago and the girl (who works at MAC) suggested applying the foundation with your hands! I was really skeptical but I tried it and LOVED the result. I apply it in 4 small dots on my cheeks, forehead and chin and then rub it into my skin in circles. No streaks, excellent coverage and it just sinks right in thanks to the heat in your hands. Otherwise you can try a foundation brush like the #190 or maybe even the delicious #189 <3

Curly1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceb1990
I also have issues with a shedding 109 brush. Everybody says that as long as you're gentle it won't shed, but I'm very gentle and it still sheds.

Me too.
ssad.gif

Jishin

My 109 doesn't shed, but yea I don't use it for foundation application.
It's meant for contouring..

MissResha

mine only shed's when wet (when i wash it), so i dont use it for liquid foundation because it's obviously not meant for that reading everybody elses gripes lol. i knew the 138 wasn't a foundation brush, but i used it anyway based on Wayne/Gossmakeup's recommendation. the finish is INSANE, but that brush is too expensive to have 4 hairs shed at one time. in a few months, nothing will be left!

LMD84

my 109 brush shed a couple of times when washing it. but nothing major. when using it on my face it never sheds... but i only use powder products with it
smiles.gif