Don't You Just Love No-Brainer Warnings?

gildedangel

I bought a new flat iron today at Bed Bath and Beyond, I got a BaByliss Pro Ceramix Extreme for ~$40. Anyways I was reading the warnings in the instructions and I couldn't stop laughing.
Warning:
7. Never use while sleeping.
11. This appliance is hot when in use.
13. Do not touch hot surfaces of the appliance.
No really? Hahahaha
th_roll1.gif
The sleeping one really gets me laughing. It is like when you read on a peanut butter jar, "may contain peanuts". I understand that there are very valid reasons that they put these warnings on labels; I just really wish that there were not people out there who would actually use the products in these ways. What are some of the funny warnings that you have read on labels? What are your thoughts on it? Please share!!!
smiles.gif

claralikesguts

LMAO.
i just had to google 'stupid product warnings'...

-- A scooter with the warning "This product moves when used."

-- A digital thermometer with the advice "Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally."

-- An electric blender used for chopping and dicing that reminds users to " "Never remove food or other items from the blades while the product is operating."

-- And a three-inch bag of air used for packaging that read "Do not use this product as a toy, pillow, or flotation device."

On packaging for a Rowenta Iron:
Do not iron clothes on body.

On Boot's Children's Cough Medicine:
Do not drive car or operate machinery.

On Nytol (a sleep aid):
Warning: May cause drowsiness.

On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights:
For indoor or outdoor use only.

On a Swedish chainsaw:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.

On car sun shield-- "Do not drive with shield in place."

On some Swanson frozen dinners -- "Serving suggestion: Defrost."

On the ipod Shuffle -- "Do not eat."

i'm just lol'ing all over
greengrin.gif

claralikesguts

sorry, but i just have to add more. i love these
smiles.gif

A label inside a protective bag (for fragile objects), which measures 15cm by 15cm by 12cm - "Warning: Do not climb inside this bag and zip it up. Doing so will cause injury and death."

On a package of silly putty - "Do not use as ear plugs."

In the manual for a microwave oven - "Do not use for drying pets."

On a product called "Rubber Band Shooter" - "Caution: Shoots rubber bands."

On a 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow - "Not intended for highway use."

On a hand-held massaging device - "Do not use while sleeping or unconscious."

On a tube of deodorant - "Do not use intimately."

On a portable stroller - "Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage."

On a child sized Superman costume - "Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly."

On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets - "Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems."

On a shipment of hammers - "May be harmful if swallowed."

On a 6x10 inch inflatable picture frame - "Not to be used as a personal flotation device."

On the wrapper of a Fruit Roll-Up snack - "Remove plastic before eating."

On a remote control for a TV - "Not dishwasher safe."

dlongmo

Makes you think someone may have actually tried to use the products for those reasons, hence the company placing the warnings......too funny

TISH1124

Those are the Anti-Lawsuit warnings.....Like that person that sued McDonalds...there was nothing on the cup that said the coffee was HOT...and they burned themselves
th_LMAO.gif

ClaireAvril

^^exactly.. companies just making sure they don't get sued.. People will do really stupid things with products and when they injure themselves they'll say.. well nobody told me... let me go see my lawyer.

jenee.sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Those are the Anti-Lawsuit warnings.....Like that person that sued McDonalds...there was nothing on the cup that said the coffee was HOT...and they burned themselves
th_LMAO.gif

ppl will do anything to get money won't they? maybe they can use the money they get to buy a new brain! perhaps a SMART brain.

NernersHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
th_LMAO.gif

I remember that! As I recall, the moron was driving with the coffee cup BETWEEN HER LEGS, and the coffee burned her inner thighs. And McDonalds had to pay through the nose for her idiocy.

jenee.sum

^^^ but i don't get it. does common sense not mean anything in the courtroom? how the hell can a judge rule in favor of a person who is such an idiot? ya those warnings are used for anti-lawsuit, but i just can't get over the fact that a person can win a lawsuit from pure stupidity.

purrtykitty

Yeah, gotta love that people need to be protected from their own stupidity. Whatever happened to weeding out the weaker links?

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NernersHuman
I remember that! As I recall, the moron was driving with the coffee cup BETWEEN HER LEGS, and the coffee burned her inner thighs. And McDonalds had to pay through the nose for her idiocy.

Most people don't know the particulars of the case and why McDonald's was found negligent because on the surface it seems so idiotic. The jury found that McDonald's had engaged in "willful, reckless, malicious or wanton conduct, the basis for punitive damages." The award was $2.7 million which was reduced to $480k and was eventually settled between the two parties for less. The $2.7 million was approximately 2 days worth of coffee sales for McDonald's. The dollar amounts are relative to personal perspective; to most of $2.7 million is a huge sum of money, to McDonald's it's not much of a dent, relatively speaking. And the plaintiff was found 20% responsible.

McDonald's was found negligent based primarily on the fact they intentionally served their coffee at much hotter than the industry standards and guidelines. It takes less than three seconds to produce a third-degree burn at 190 degrees, about 12 to 15 seconds at 180 degrees and about 20 seconds at 160 degrees. McDonald's brews its coffee at between 195 and 205 degrees, and keeps it (if not served immediately) at between 180 and 190 degrees. This is approximately 20 degrees hotter than standard local practice in the area that it occurred.

McDonald's had already received at least 700 complaints prior to the incident and even paid others up to and more than $500k in settlements (for scalding injuries), but they made no changes to their practice nor did they ever consult burn experts for input despite the history clearly showing that they knew the risks of severe injury.

They were found to have a disregard for human safety. One of their witnesses essentially, the severe injury is so rare, they won't change practices for it. Jurors have been noted as saying this attitude was one of the turning factors for them as most believed the case on the surface was as frivolous as most of us thought.

She was holding it between her legs while she to took the cover off to add the cream and sugar.

I'm sure most of is have spilled coffee or hot tea as some point in our lives, did ours leave you with 3rd degree burns that required 7 days in the hospital and skin grafts? Within the facts of this actual case, there was absolutely negligence on McDonald's part. The reason she sued was because they refused to pay her related medical expenses.
_____

All of that aside, I personally don't think people should be able to sue because they're stupid. After nearly every paper/case study I had to write in my graduate business law, I would add a summary paragraph of essentially why I didn't agree with the law rewarding dumbasses; of course, I used more intelligent wording.

I had a hard time writing papers about how I think a case should turn because my opinion didn't match with the law. I don't think that you should be rewarded if there are safety warnings, and you *choose* to ignore them. For example, if you do decide to use your flat iron while sleeping, that's your problem not the Babyliss's IMHO.

gildedangel

^^ Thank you fr that very informative post COBI. I am still trying to figure out how you would use a flat iron while you sleep besides just leaving it on.....LMAO

NernersHuman

Thanks COBI, I didn't know all the particulars either. Still, it's not the brightest thing in the world to put the coffee between your legs like that...too unsteady and risky.

And sleeping with a flat iron...I guess maybe there's people who think if they put it on a particularly stubborn curl all night it will be gone in the morning? Or the hair fairies are going to come and smooth your hair at night?

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Yeah, gotta love that people need to be protected from their own stupidity. Whatever happened to weeding out the weaker links?

Totally agree. I think that warning labels mess with natural selection.

ForgetRegret

Caution: May irritate eyes - Can of pepper spray
Caution: Hot beverages are hot! - Cup of coffee (I thought I specifically asked for the COLD hot beverage. Geez.)
Do not look into LASER with remaining eye - various LASER devices I've seen where I work
Warning! Knives are sharp! - packaging of a sharpening stone (well I guess they're not sharp if you just bought this sharpening stone)
Not for human consumption - on a package of dice (but if your dog wants to eat them, by all means, let him!)
Do not wear for sumo wrestling - washing instructions for...something. Washing Instructions Fail FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments
Open packet. Eat contents. - Airline peanuts
Removing the wheel can influence the performance of the bicycle - on a bicycle (Nuh uh...are you sure????)
Caution: Risk of fire - on a fireplace log
For use on animals only - on an electric cattle prod (well...ya know...unless you're into that sort of thing...)

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by claralikesguts
On packaging for a Rowenta Iron:
Do not iron clothes on body.

OK, I seriously know someone that iron his shirt while wearing it. He had a big ol' iron-shaped burn for weeks!
th_LMAO.gif

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NernersHuman
Thanks COBI, I didn't know all the particulars either. Still, it's not the brightest thing in the world to put the coffee between your legs like that...too unsteady and risky.

And sleeping with a flat iron...I guess maybe there's people who think if they put it on a particularly stubborn curl all night it will be gone in the morning? Or the hair fairies are going to come and smooth your hair at night?

Exactly...like is there a car made in the world that does not have cup holders ...I guess the crotch was a better fit.....Stupid again. Maybe she was driving one from the 1960's ....classic