Duty Free Question

Cdjax

I'll be at an airport that has a duty free store. Are you allowed to go inside and look around if you are not on an international flight, just a flight between states?

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdjax
I'll be at an airport that has a duty free store. Are you allowed to go inside and look around if you are not on an international flight, just a flight between states?

I sure hope so I think so, I have been in Duty Free stores in the airport.

Parishoon

you can go in & look around, but you have to show your "international" ticket/booking info to purchase (at least at the ones i've been in)

maxcat

I've always had to show my passport and boarding card, even only to browse - and you can obviously only buy if you're taking it out of the country....

moonrevel

Totally random and OT, but the one time I bought things from duty free, I didn't really know how it worked, and I was so upset when they told me I couldn't have the stuff until I was getting on the plane. I had bought this nice set of Juicy Tubes and was excited to try them, so I was crushed when they kept my bag! As soon as the lady came to the gate with the cart I jumped her just to make sure everything made it there safely!

lara

Quite a few Duty Free places will let you buy if you're not travelling, but you pay the regular tax-included price instead of the discount. Try it and see!

Chic 2k6

I bought a MAC Lipgelee from duty free but that was when i was headed to NY from UK, so... i think you can do it.

giz2000

Only if you are an international traveler...I have been able to look but not buy anything.

vicuna1

The last time I flew, they had someone standing at the entrance to the Duty Free checking tickets before you could even enter the shop. This was in either Las Vegas or Chicago (it was a long night/flight, so exactly where I was when I saw this is a bit of a mystery).

coachkitten

I was able to buy a MAC palette in Hawaii when I was going from there back to Seattle. Maybe it just differs from airport to airport.

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTinker_BellxX
dumb question. what s a duty free store?

Not dumb at all! It's a store in an airport where you can buy things that a country normally taxes without paying the taxes and duties if you are going to be flying internationally. Mostly, they sell things like alcohol and cigarettes (which are usually quite highly taxed - in some states, the price of these products is half taxes or more), but also perfumes, makeup, and some food items. HTH!