Eczema Sufferers

logan44103

I thought I would jump in on this post. I have been doing a lot of research on Omega-3 Fish oil and just started taking them daily. The benefits of this only after a month or two are clear skin, shiny hair, nails that grow like crazy and also..bye-bye dry skin! Most of the posts here are about topical treatments. Maybe trying a supplement working from the "inside-out" would help as well!
smiles.gif
smiles.gif

jilliandanica

my eczema comes and goes but when it's around i hate it! heat triggers mine mostly. i use a topical rx cream to treat the areas that are really bad but on the off days, I keep my skin moisturized by using jojoba oil! works great esp when i get that scalp eczema =\ I used to use Eucerin but I didn't like the texture. Aveeno the one with menthol in it works great! love the coolin' feeling!

komischkatze

My eczema is quite persnickety. Triamcinolone works very well for the patches that show up on my forums but does NOT work for the eczema in my underarm area, hip, or thigh. What the heck? Right now I'm just coping with cortisol + moisturizer for those until my new products come in next week. I've also got a rampant case of scalp eczema that I pick at like a maniac; it makes me look like I have the biggest dandruff in the world.

I've always been allergic to most perfumes and most average soaps (if I use even a mild soap on my face the skin on my cheeks turns bright pink and flakes off completely in two big hard discs... really gross), so I'm going to give the all-natural Lush products a shot. I've ordered some of their Recon hair treament; I've heard a lot of people say it was great for their scalp eczema and/or scalp psoriasis. I figure it can't do any more damage than what I've already got. I've also heard that their "Dream" products can be good for eczema (someone here mentioned Dream Cream earlier) so I've ordered some Dream Wash to try out in the shower. I'll give a little update once they get here and I have a chance to try them out for myself.

arwennn

I never had eczema until a couple years ago. My mother has it really bad on her hands, and my sister had it when she was a baby on her forehead. I was going through a particularly stressful time in my life and that's when I started getting it. First, I got it as a hives-like rash all over my body. It then settled into the insides of my elbows and on my hands. I get it the worst on my hands - patches of weepy rashes.

The dermatologist gave me a prescription for a compound. It's clobetasol and LCD. It smells nasty (like tar) but hell, it works like a charm. If I'm having a flare up, I just apply it twice a day for up to ten days (more than 10 days and it'll "melt my skin off") and I usually won't get a break out for another week or so. That was when I first started it. Now, I'll get a breakout and I'll apply it once or twice, and the breakout will clear up within 24-48 hours.

I also stick with thick, creamy lotions for extra dry skin or stuff like that. I moisturize RIGHT after I get out of the shower, and I keep hand lotion on me wherever I go. I found St. Ives collagen and elastin to work particularly well with my skin, and it smells nice.

Unfortunately, you can't cure eczema, but you can control it.

righteothen

My eczema didn't really flare up until the last year of college, when I was under a lot of stress. Before that, it was so mild I just ignored it, and moisturized. When it really showed up, it was raised, oozing, and just plain nasty. It was so bad, at one point I had a person at a store hand me my bag like I was contagious... I had to start covering it up after that.

What finally got rid of my eczema was first exfoliating the area (usually a bad idea, but what was happening to my arm was that the oozy stuff was preventing the old dead skin from coming off, and there was a layer affect going on). After that, applying moisturizer. Now this step might sound easy, but here are the problems: I can't use synthetic fragrances on that area, and I can't use petroleum products.

The petroleum products thing was actually the hardest. Lot of eczema specific creams use them, and even some of the ones that are suggested by doctors. Eventually, I just gave up on specific ones, and just started using whatever natural moisturizers I could find that contained either no fragrance, or natural oil ones.

The last problem is that I sodium laurel and laureth sulfate really irritate the area, so I can't use soaps that contain those. I can every now and then (like at a restaurant), but prolonged usage causes a flare-up.

I guess what my long story is trying to say is really pay close attention to what you are using. My eczema flare-up of doom was actually prolonged by months before I figured out that it was the petroleum doing it. Once I took away the ingredients that were causing it to remain, it went away pretty quickly, and now I just have to deal with small flare-ups, and the thinner skin in that area.

Also, moisturize after a shower/bath. I know this is repeated over and over, but it is one of the truths of truths to keep your skin moist. It's actually something I tell everyone, regardless if they have eczema or not, because it's so important. A bath is like an antibiotic; antibiotics kill even the good bacteria, baths/showers get rid of even the good moisture/oil. You need to replenish what you took away, and lock in what you have left before it goes out.

Hope that helps at least one eczema sufferer ^_^.

syrene78

Maybe someone can help me and suggest me what to do...
Every year, when the cold starts kicking my hands get very irritated, red and dry. I was told that it is Eczema about a year ago.However I have had that since I was twelve!

My hands are like a weather man! :yes:
If it gets colder, they will get redder and will start craking and even bleeding before I even go out to check the weather and that also works in the summer when it gets cold and rainy. How weird!
Is anyone else like that?
But what can I do when they bleed and get so red?
I tried Vaseline, which does help a bit with the bleeding, but I can't use that during the day, it is too greasy.
When my hands are so red, they get so painful!
Any cream, even fragrance free stings like hell!
I was given just a cortison cream once that didn't do anything and hurt too.
What do you recommend in this case?

Thanks for your help!

righteothen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrene78
Maybe someone can help me and suggest me what to do...
Every year, when the cold starts kicking my hands get very irritated, red and dry. I was told that it is Eczema about a year ago.However I have had that since I was twelve!

My hands are like a weather man! :yes:
If it gets colder, they will get redder and will start craking and even bleeding before I even go out to check the weather and that also works in the summer when it gets cold and rainy. How weird!
Is anyone else like that?
But what can I do when they bleed and get so red?
I tried Vaseline, which does help a bit with the bleeding, but I can't use that during the day, it is too greasy.
When my hands are so red, they get so painful!
Any cream, even fragrance free stings like hell!
I was given just a cortison cream once that didn't do anything and hurt too.
What do you recommend in this case?

Thanks for your help!

My dad has this, and so do I, but in a milder form (used to be worse, when I rode my bike on top of it). Moisturizing with heavier cream, and putting on gloves at night really helps to allow your hands to heal some. Using a lighter moisturizer during the day (like Avalon) also helps, and at least for me, didn't burn as much. If you read my above post, you might have noticed the thing about petroleum that I mentioned. When my hands burned, it was because of that (I don't know if it's an allergy, but I know that that anywhere near my eczema when it's flaring burns like fire).

The best thing I can say is wear gloves whenever possible, always have moisturizer on, and remember to reapply after washing your hands, and try and keep gloves on at night, so that your hands have a chance to heal in warmth. As for gloves, wear something non-abrasive, like fleece, and make sure it keeps a lot of the wind out, but allows your hands to breath.

I hope that helps some.

rebekah

Hey guys, Am I the only one that developed a SEVERE allergy to Triamcinolone and Elidel because of my daily use of it??
It worked for me for about a year or two (both them worked) and then (its worst for Triamcinolone) i started to develop a severe (much worse than eczema) reaction.
I have it eczema on my eyelids, lips, around mouth, under eyes, arms, and behind knees.

I have found that my eczema has gotten a lot better over time, and I have found many things that trigger it such as ALL peppers, onions, anything with an intense taste like those.

my favorite cream used to be MAC's studio moisture fix, but they've changed what its made of or something and now i'm really really allergic to it because it has a fragrance now.

MY FAVORITE CREAM IS BY DERMALOGICA! They make a ''extreme dry skin'' kit which is totally wonderful, you can get this on amazon. I promise you it is WONDERFUL!

oh yeah and the triamcinolone bleached out my skin over time so my arms are a fucked up color. thanks doctors!

ONE MORE TIP : never EVER EVER use VASELINE because it holds bacteria
also never use a loopah sponge.

CellyCell

I hate my eczema - it really puts me in a sad mood.
As of right now, I have very few flare ups and oddly enough, they don't act up as much as in the winter as it does in the summer time. I'm guessing it's due to the sun exposure and sweating. Only thing that I'm getting annoyed with is the old scars it left behind... if anyone has recommendation for those it'd be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, someone mentioned Eucerin Moisturizer and that is a really good body moisturizer. I find thick cream works the best for our skin types. I'm bad at putting lotion on daily but the good thing about this cream is that once out the shower - you put it on and you don't need to keep re-applying, just because its so heavily thick.
Any cream that is liquidly to the touch - I don't recommend getting... ever. It has water bases and that just irritates the skin, well for me it does.

I will be considering changing my diet and how that works. I never knew eggs, tomatos, wheat and dairy products causes flare ups until last year and I told my mother that and she knew all about it and never told me! Ugh. I'm like,
"jeez thanks for letting my skin look like shit...I'mma go make a egg sandwhich on wheat bread and drink milk to feel better"

Lndsy

Gold bond ultimate! I have excema on my face, neck and body and after years of searching and trying absolutly everything this is the only thing that has worked for me. Six months of the year I have to battle dry Canadian Prairie winters and this cream has saved my skin! I love it!

Please be careful using cortisone products, especially on your face. Over time it will thin your skin very badly and you can't repair the damage.

MisaMayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellyCell
I hate my eczema - it really puts me in a sad mood.
As of right now, I have very few flare ups and oddly enough, they don't act up as much as in the winter as it does in the summer time. I'm guessing it's due to the sun exposure and sweating. Only thing that I'm getting annoyed with is the old scars it left behind... if anyone has recommendation for those it'd be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, someone mentioned Eucerin Moisturizer and that is a really good body moisturizer. I find thick cream works the best for our skin types. I'm bad at putting lotion on daily but the good thing about this cream is that once out the shower - you put it on and you don't need to keep re-applying, just because its so heavily thick.
Any cream that is liquidly to the touch - I don't recommend getting... ever. It has water bases and that just irritates the skin, well for me it does.

I will be considering changing my diet and how that works. I never knew eggs, tomatos, wheat and dairy products causes flare ups until last year and I told my mother that and she knew all about it and never told me! Ugh. I'm like,
"jeez thanks for letting my skin look like shit...I'mma go make a egg sandwhich on wheat bread and drink milk to feel better"

th_LMAO.gif
Same experience! The worst was my lunchtime sandwich melts with ham, cheese & white bread ..it's a def NO-NO!!

I used to work for a nutritional health company and lots of people with scars used Rose-hip seed oil. The best-selling one was Rosa Mosqueta. Although you have to be very dedicated in applying it or it won't work. A woman who was in a car accident used it for 3 years and it helped her tremendously.

MisaMayah

And for all of us who suffer from this skin problem:

Look into Food Energetics (Chinese/Indian - Ayurveda). Basically every food has a cetain effect on the body. Some foods heat the body, cool it down and some are neutral. It's worth looking into and testing out. My fiance's family are Persian and his Nana is familiar with the Indian food energetics. She told me to stay away from Pork, Chicken & Shellfish as this really heats the body- and it really does help.

Basically people with eczema need to avoid foods that HEAT the body up & eat plenty of foods which cool the body eg. cucumber, watermelon. Im trying to accumulate a list of these foods. I'll put it up once it's done.

dollbaby

I can't sleep at night due to eczema. It itches so bad, & I try so hard not to scratch, omg & it burns!!!
angry.gif
I get really bad flare ups in the winter, usually on my arms & legs; especially in the creases. The summer, not so much. My skin is usually really smooth & hydrated. I've tried like every cream but nothing has been working. This just started a couple days ago, so I'm really needing to see the Dr., but have to wait until after th weekend. I also get it really bad after shaving. I haven't shaved in so long, I feel so gross. What can you do about that?

sunnidee13

ive tryed these things, but i get lazy and stop using it. then it comes back. now that its winter i get it between my fingers (isn't that weird) and summer its almost all over.

Obreathemykiss

Gosh, it's so nice to know I'm not alone.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to use Nivea religously all over me. I didn't realize I had eczema this badly until recently when I was rubbing my arm and felt a weird patch...sooner or later, both of the tops of my arms are covered in little whitish circles, and sometimes there are red ones, odd shapes, weird texture, etc.

It makes me so self conscious because my boyfriend always says "babe make sure you put your cream on" and tells me (not in a rude way) when it's getting REALLY bad. I hate it. It has now developed on parts of my tummy, my thighs, and a little guy on my face. It makes me want to cry when I see myself.

Especially with summer coming up, I'm not going to be wearing long sleeves anymore!

I made an appt for the dermatoligist months ago, and I can't get in until next month because they're so packed with patients.

I went to my family medicine doctor and she said she can't really do anything about it other than suggest hydrocoritsone.

Aside from that, I have this weird rash thing that is under my nose and on my chin. I looked it up online and I think I have Perioral dermatitis. It is so ugly! I hate it. Sometimes it burns, gets scabbish and peels.

Hopefully the dermatologist can fix me ASAP.

jmj2k

"Yes to Carrots" body wash, and body butter...they work really well for sensitive skin. Right now, the line is only available at Walgreens.

Sinford

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnidee13
ive tryed these things, but i get lazy and stop using it. then it comes back. now that its winter i get it between my fingers (isn't that weird) and summer its almost all over.

I get it there too! I was tortured with eczema as a child and suffered a horrible flare up when I was 14/15 (it was really awful, my left hand constantly looked like a 3rd degree burn and I had to wear a white cotton glove on it all the time and it would still get infected).

But between my fingers is where I normally get it now, and then it spreads, I have a feeling it has something to do with drying your hands after washing, even though I always dry them well, or perhaps it's just the cold, bottom line is, it's a pain in the arse!

christal24

Wow I'm not alone! heehee

Before the days of the internet and blogging we didn't have such support!

Anyways I can relate to all you ladies, I've had eczema since I was 2 or 3 yrs old, and I'm 24 yrs old now! I wonder how much money I've spent on creams and stuff, probably thousands and thousands of dollars. I'm lucky that this whole time my dad has an amazing insurance policy, we only have to pay I think 20 % of all medications anyways.

Last summer I had the WORST eczema patch on my eye and cheek. I mean I've never had anything like it my whole LIFE! My eyes had the puffy red itchy feeling, it was so inflamed, I would always wear my glasses to work in hopes that it was covered.
THen my cheek had this small rash on it, but it got sooo itchy I just had to scratch it and eventually it was this nasty thing ( bigger than a penny ) on my face. It was to the pt of bleeding....just think about it on your FACE! ! I had to go to work and face ppl it was mortifying.....the whole summer for like 3 months. ANyways none of my creams worked until I was at the lowest pt of tears everyday. My aunt at church did this facial mask everynight: cinnamon and honey on her rash. I thought she was insane!!!!!
But at this pt I was so depressed I would do anything. So I put on this 1:1 ratio of purified honey and cinnamon on my face and eyes. It stung like there was no tmr, but I toughed it out. I left it on for 4 hrs, then the next night another 4 hrs. I'm not even gonna lie by that second night my cheek wound closed up and my eyes healed up and were no longer itchy. By the end of the week I didn't even have a scar anymore. I would post pictures BUT its a part of my life I don't ever want to see pictures of. Im only posting this up to offer suggestions on natural methods, as someone who has been using eczema creams for over 20 yrs.

Research honey and you'll find that it has no water, therefore NO bacteria can grow in it, when it reacts with the liquids in your wounds it release H + acting as an antiseptic. The stuff is amazing!

Obreathemykiss

Okay...so here's an update. I visited the dermatologist a few weeks ago and she prescribed a few things to me. First off, I was right on the Perioral dermatitis-that was exactly what it is. She gave me tetracycline which is apparently used for other things as well, but she said this will clear up my face and the rash thing leaving me with perfect skin, which I am thrilled about! The rash seems to be disappearing but is still very red.
As far as the eczema, she prescribed Triamcinolone-wow is all I can say. This is really helping...its smoothing my skin, clearing the redness and she said eventually will restore the hypopigmentation. Look into this because it is really helping me! I wish I had a before a few weeks later pic, you would be amazed!

Hilly

I am a newer excema sufferer. I have a half-dollar size on my inner left arm. It's so wierd. Just popped up one day. I use Desoximetasone.

Latest posts