F&F Sale - Beginner MAC addict

Civies

Okay so I'm a MAC newbie .. literally. I just started getting into it a few weeks ago, and I don't really have much $ to spend since I'm still in high school with a part time job (That's right, best years of your life) ! I'm looking to spend around $150 CAD. For this upcoming sumo sale, I really want to get some staples to start building my collection.

So far I have (from MAC)
- all that glitters e/s
- Mimmy l/g
- Brave new bronze l/s
- eversun bpb
- refined golden bronzer

I also have udpp, and a handful of brushes from Coastal Scents. I'm waiting for my SS188 from Sigma
smiles.gif

Currently in my shopping cart is

- hush ccb
- shroom e/s refill
- woodwinked e/s refill
- sumptuous olive e/s refill
- amber lights e/s refill
- buckwheat e/s
- goldmine e/s refill (I keep putting it on and taking it off)
- 217 brush
- instant gold l/g
- peachykeen blush
- 15 e/s palette

I kind of want some more unique neutral colours.. I like taupey colours such as Satin Taupe (which is sold out on the site .. so I'll go pick it up at my store
smiles.gif
). I don't really want to get something that is easily dupable such as carbon (Is that a crime ?) or a matte dark brown like embark. I love purples .. like stars n rockets and shale but when I put it on I just kind of look like I got punched in the eye. Does this happen to every newbie or is that just me ?

I'm asian, NC35-37ish, black hair, light brown eyes, double eyelid (LOL just thought I should mention ..) and fairly long eyelashes for an Asian :p. I don't really need a foundation, I'd probably like something light-medium. I was looking at the SFF but I think it might be a litte too heavy for me. I have

Also, I checked out the pigment sample sellers thread but does anyone know a good cheap seller (not on ebay). I'd prefer 1/4 samples since I want a wider range of colours
smiles.gif

TIA from the heart of an official MAC addict.

mac_addict.gif

sassyclassy

I think you should try out the Mineralize Skin Finish Natural! I'm probably going to pick that up during that sale. You're a little darker than me so I would recommend possibly the Medium Dark shade? I'm not sure, you should read up on that. It's basically a powder that gives very light finish and you can use it over foundation or on its own.

Some good sites for samples are All Beauty!, Your one stop beauty shop for MAC pigments, samples, and more! and maybe check out the For Sale and Swap section?

panda0410

Your piggie samples - really get 1/2 tsp if you can. The 1/4 tsp wont last more than a couple of uses and for your $ you get better value from 1/2 tsp. We have a few good sellers here in the clearance bin
winks.gif

I'd prob also skip the 217 if you dont have many other brushes - it isnt essential and you would be better off with something more versatile, the 213 or 239 (or the 226 if you can find one) are much better brushes to start with.

Parfait Armour is such a pretty purple
greengrin.gif
I dont like a lot of purples but this one catches me eye! Satin Taupe is a must have for everyones kit, it can do so many things!!

Civies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyclassy
I think you should try out the Mineralize Skin Finish Natural! I'm probably going to pick that up during that sale. You're a little darker than me so I would recommend possibly the Medium Dark shade? I'm not sure, you should read up on that. It's basically a powder that gives very light finish and you can use it over foundation or on its own.

Some good sites for samples are All Beauty!, Your one stop beauty shop for MAC pigments, samples, and more! and maybe check out the For Sale and Swap section?

Thanks for the suggestion
smiles.gif
I will def check out the MSF Natural. I've heard some things about them, I'd love to try them out
smiles.gif

Thanks for the pigment seller suggestions ! Also, about maclovesvina, are her products authentic ? I stumbled across her website before and wanted to order from her but I'm not sure if they're authentic or not. I know she sells 4 eyeshadows and a quad for $45 CAD, lol I was hesistant though
th_dunno.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Your piggie samples - really get 1/2 tsp if you can. The 1/4 tsp wont last more than a couple of uses and for your $ you get better value from 1/2 tsp. We have a few good sellers here in the clearance bin
winks.gif

I'd prob also skip the 217 if you dont have many other brushes - it isnt essential and you would be better off with something more versatile, the 213 or 239 (or the 226 if you can find one) are much better brushes to start with.

Parfait Armour is such a pretty purple
greengrin.gif
I dont like a lot of purples but this one catches me eye! Satin Taupe is a must have for everyones kit, it can do so many things!!

Ohh
oh.gif
I didn't know 1/4 tsp was so little haha then I'll def look at the 1/2 tsp. Yeah I saw in the clearance bin
smiles.gif
I just like to open myself to options haha I'm just like that.

The reason why I don't want a 239 is because I already have a few eyeshadow brushes that pack on shadow really well .. I also have the Bobbi Brown cover up brush (which really isn't for eyeshadows but it works awesomeee !).

Yeah Parfait amour is amazing ! I agree, satin taupe is must have. It was the first eyeshadow that caught my eye like "WOW GOTTA HAVE NOWWWWW"

--

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming !
smiles.gif
tong.gif

MacAtFirstSight

I'd tell you to get shale since it's such a unique color.
purple e/s looks good on brown eyes with asian skintone imo. It brings out my brown eyes and really pops.
try satellite dreams or violet pigment.

217 is an essential brush imo much more so than 239 because 239 is easily dupeable whereas there's no exact dupe for 217.

if you want a multipurpose item, I recommend vanilla pigment. I think it's worth the money since you can use it for everything including highlight, all over color, etc...

I personally buy the 1/4 tsp and think it's enough, because I don't use pigment on a daily basis, and if you buy alot of different kinds of pigments, you'll eventually have so many to finish any one up. but that's just my opinion... if you are willing to use pigs everyday, you should get a 1/2 tsp.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410

!!

Blasphemy the 217 and 187 are my #1 brushes ever

217 is essential

gildedangel

Beautiful Iris is a great lavender e/s to have that goes really well with neutrals, and creme de violet is really pretty too. Jest is also a really great frosty highlight color. Springsheen is a really pretty peachy-pink sheer blush. Oh and in MSF Naturals you will actually probably be Medium Dark, I am Light Medium and I am pasty!!! Get matched at the MAC when you go next time!
smiles.gif

Civies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAtFirstSight
I'd tell you to get shale since it's such a unique color.
purple e/s looks good on brown eyes with asian skintone imo. It brings out my brown eyes and really pops.
try satellite dreams or violet pigment.

217 is an essential brush imo much more so than 239 because 239 is easily dupeable whereas there's no exact dupe for 217.

if you want a multipurpose item, I recommend vanilla pigment. I think it's worth the money since you can use it for everything including highlight, all over color, etc...

I personally buy the 1/4 tsp and think it's enough, because I don't use pigment on a daily basis, and if you buy alot of different kinds of pigments, you'll eventually have so many to finish any one up. but that's just my opinion... if you are willing to use pigs everyday, you should get a 1/2 tsp.

I might get shale ;o. And yeah, purple does make brown eyes pop I just don't know how to make it so I don't look like I got punched lol! I want violet pigment .. I saw swatches and I'm in love
drools.gif

Hmm I did some more research and I probably will get 1/4 tsp. I read somewhere that it can be used approx like .. 20 times. I'm planning to have LOTS of pigment samples to start my collection anyways. If I want more of it I'll just order more, better than letting it sit there in the dust
smiles.gif

Thanks everyone for the suggestions .. Now I'm pondering about the 217
ssad.gif
. I know there isn't an exact dupe but buying a MAC brush even with the 25% off might be out of my price range. I will definitely look into more purples
smiles.gif

ps God damnit mac why do you have to sell out of medium dark MSF natural >
ssad.gif

EDIT : At the risk of sounding dumb, I will ask this question anyways. How do I purchase from All Beauty!, Your one stop beauty shop for MAC pigments, samples, and more! ? I can't find the 'add to cart' button or anything like that. I made an account already (which took me a good 10 minutes to find out how ....)

sassyclassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civies
Thanks for the suggestion
smiles.gif
I will def check out the MSF Natural. I've heard some things about them, I'd love to try them out
smiles.gif

Thanks for the pigment seller suggestions ! Also, about maclovesvina, are her products authentic ? I stumbled across her website before and wanted to order from her but I'm not sure if they're authentic or not. I know she sells 4 eyeshadows and a quad for $45 CAD, lol I was hesistant though
th_dunno.gif

To be honest I've never purchased any from them before but I was directed by someone on youtube (s2pandapple) who has purchased from there and she vouched for them so I am pretty sure they are! Plus I have emailed the seller before and she was really good with responding to all my questions that I had.

TSIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyclassy
I think you should try out the Mineralize Skin Finish Natural! ... You're a little darker than me so I would recommend possibly the Medium Dark shade?...

Welcome to MAC!
th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif

I'm asian...well, filipino...are we considered "asian" anymore? I can't keep up with this politically-correct crap, and also NC35-40. A MAC online chat rep suggested 'Medium Plus'; but when I went to Nordstrom - 'Medium' was a better fit.

Don't forget to pick up a paint pot or two...or three or more! Snag a Girlfriendly (if they're still available) and a neutral like Soft Ochre, Bare Study, etc. These paint pots make excellent eyeshadow bases (better than UDPP and TFSI, but that's just my opinion). HTH!

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Blasphemy the 217 and 187 are my #1 brushes ever

217 is essential

LOL!!! pass pass pass
smiles.gif
There are much better blending brushes out there
winks.gif

I would die without my 213 and 239 and prob 219 as well, but the 217 is not a must have if you dont already own shaders
tong.gif

Mabelle

Quote:
Okay so I'm a MAC newbie .. literally. I just started getting into it a few weeks ago, and I don't really have much $ to spend since I'm still in high school with a part time job (That's right, best years of your life) ! I'm looking to spend around $150 CAD. For this upcoming sumo sale, I really want to get some staples to start building my collection.

So far I have (from MAC)
- all that glitters e/s
- Mimmy l/g
- Brave new bronze l/s
- eversun bpb
- refined golden bronzer

I also have udpp, and a handful of brushes from Coastal Scents. I'm waiting for my SS188 from Sigma
smiles.gif

- hush ccb
- shroom e/s refill
- woodwinked e/s refill- Gorgeous colour. Goes no like butter, It's a favourite for a reason! A must have!
- amber lights e/s refill- Goes os super soft and creamy. Absolutely one of my favorites!
- buckwheat e/s
- goldmine e/s refill- A very pretty light yellow gold. I don't use it a whole lot, but i know a lot of people do. Not the greatest texture ever, but not bad either
- 217 brush - Yes. Now. If you had to have one brush, this should d be it.
- instant gold l/g
- peachykeen blush - very pretty. im thinking of picking it up myself. a no. 1 seller.
- 15 e/s palette - absolfruitly.

I'm a purple fanatic, but i know some people feel that they make them look bruised. Maybe go with something brighter? Like beautiful iris, Creme de violet, vibrant grape. What kind of base are you using for your shadows?
I duno if you open to it, but hepcat is a really pretty fushia/purple colour. Maybe its the blue based purples that are making you look "like you have a black eye"

ladyJ

I agree with TISH you have to get the 217. I also find the 226 brush perfect for asian eyes.

As far purples go, I like beautiful iris, shadowy lady, parfait amour, and poison pen.

silviachic

Quote:

- hush ccb I personally really dislike ccbs... It's too creamy and makes my lids crease like crazy...
oh.gif
maybe just me tho... the only one that really works for me are the paintpots (my fave is painterly)

- shroom e/s refill
- woodwinked e/s refill
- amber lights e/s refill
- buckwheat e/s
- goldmine e/s refill (I keep putting it on and taking it off) I really like this one... instead of using a white-ish color on the inner corner of my eyes i use this and it looks really pretty
yes.gif

- 217 brush I like this one, I've tried other blending brushes but this one is the best so far
winks.gif

- instant gold l/g
- peachykeen blush
- 15 e/s palette with all those refills it's a must
thmbup.gif

I kind of want some more unique neutral colours.. I like taupey colours such as Satin Taupe (which is sold out on the site .. so I'll go pick it up at my store
smiles.gif
). I don't really want to get something that is easily dupable such as carbon (Is that a crime ?) or a matte dark brown like embark. I love purples .. like stars n rockets and shale but when I put it on I just kind of look like I got punched in the eye. Does this happen to every newbie or is that just me ?

I'm asian, NC35-37ish, black hair, light brown eyes, double eyelid (LOL just thought I should mention ..) and fairly long eyelashes for an Asian :p. I don't really need a foundation, I'd probably like something light-medium. I was looking at the SFF but I think it might be a litte too heavy for me. wow... with that description we must look exactly alike hehe
th_hug.gif
I dont really like heavy stuff either and I just use foundation to cover up some redness, so I like using select liquid foundation with SPF 15 in NC37

Also, I checked out the pigment sample sellers thread but does anyone know a good cheap seller (not on ebay). I'd prefer 1/4 samples since I want a wider range of colours
smiles.gif

TIA from the heart of an official MAC addict.

mac_addict.gif

I hope that helps a little
winkiss.gif

Civies

Thanks for everyone on their input, it's greatly appreciated. I'm still jugging things on my w/l ! Sigh LOL .

@ silviachic, I'll be using the ccb as a highlighter
smiles.gif

& also ahah .. wow I found my twin.

Can anyone recommend an all over lid colour that's like All That Glitters ? I don't mean a dupe .. since I have All That Glitters but I just want something subtle like that but not like that . Do I make sense ?

Mabelle

great all over colours (that are fairly neutral)

blond's gold pigment. it is perfect in every way.
melon pigment.
motif es
vanilla es
dazzlelight es
grand entrance; i know its not for sale now, but for future reference!
honey lust (if you can get it to work!)
sable- soft creamy light reddish brown.
woodwinked
soba

mssally

Have you thought about getting Studio Fix powder as a foundation? I use it with a big fluffy brush so it's not as heavy and I love it. But as others have said the MSF Naturals are great for lighter coverage. I LOVE Satin Taupe -- I hope you get it later at the store.

I'm Asian (NC 25-30) and I love peachykeen blush. It's so pretty!

Have you considered getting the 187... i love using it for powders, liquids, blush, etc...

MAC gets quite addicting...as I'm sure you know already...