Fair and sensitive skin. Advice on makeup?

miaclara

Hey guys! I just joined. That’s my first topic in this board.
I’m 14 and I’d like to have some advice on face makeup. I have fair complexion and my skin is normal, neither oily or dry. It’s really sensitive though, and it gets red/itchy/burned SO easily. Basically it’s allergy-prone. Also my cheeks are naturally rosy so when I get an allergy on my face I get the look of a clown. </3 There’s another issue that refers to the hard time I have finding a shade that actually matches my pale skin. It always. like always gets a little bit darker. Soo… I’d really appreciate your recommendation/advice on makeup brands. I’m looking for one that fits my skin singularity/needs, rather with spf 30 (or higher) included. I’ve been reading about Diorsnow Foundation, and it sounds so nice to me. Didn’t try it on my skin, though.
Thank you so much! Have a nice day. :)

ladymeag

I'm also very fair. Finding foundation can be difficult, especially if you have neutral rather than pink or yellow undertones.

The process you're referring to where a foundation gets a little darker as you wear it is called oxidization and is pretty normal. MAC no longer makes a standard shade light enough for my skin the closest they have is NC15 and it's too dark. I've had decent luck recently with Marc Jacobs Beauty's Genius Gel in 10 Light Ivory. You'll find that drugstore lines tend not to have a fair enough shade, so be prepared to spend a little bit more than your friends might at 14/15. Shiseido's I00 shades are pretty close, as well. NARS Siberia tends to be a little yellow/dark on me depending on the formula is often recommended. NARS also makes a BB/CC cream thing now with a a few light shades (but contains chemical sunscreen.) Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics makes a tinted moisturizer, in a light shade but it has yellow-ish tones.

If you have sensitive skin, you might want to look at your sunscreen. A lot of chemical sunscreens (that's what's in those all-in-one products; oxybenzone (benzophenone-3), octinoxate (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate), butylparaben, ) are irritating to people with sensitive skin. Instead, I use a physical, mineral sunblock (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) as a separate step from priming and foundation. There are a few BB Creams with physical sunblocks in them but they don't have fair enough shades for me. You might have better luck - try Boscia's Light BB Cream.

If you have a Sephora near you, you can ask for up to three samples of foundations (and in my experience, don't let them color match you - they don't do well color matching pale skin. Your foundation should disappear when applied to your skin.) to try at home to see if they oxidize on your skin or look significantly different in the sunlight. If you purchase a foundation from Sephora, keep your receipt - they have an excellent return policy and if you find that it does turn out to oxidize or is the wrong color you can fairly easily return it.

Good luck and enjoy diving into the world of cosmetics. :)

miaclara

Thank you so much, it helped me a lot! ^___^

I've never tried or read about Shiseido makeup. I was wondering if I should buy their "Urban Environment" SPF 42 sunscreen, though. Also according to what I've been noticing in my searches practically all of these brands (Chanel, Dior, YSL, Dolce&Gabbana) work with a maximum SPF of 30 included in their makeup/all-in-one products, and I think I need a higher one. I'm like the palest person you'll ever see and my skin normally burns after 15 minutes out in the sun. Your advice on wearing a sunblock separately is pretty valid! So should I wear it before applying primer?

Also I must say you have a really good skin!

ladymeag

Thanks! A lifetime of sunblock and gentle washing will get you a long way with skin - treat it well, it's the only skin you get.

The reason that the large cosmetic companies usually only head up into the 30s with foundation is that you have to be able to have a reasonable application. SPF will vary if you apply the foundation more lightly or more heavily than another user. The SPF rating you see on the bottle is based on a medium-to-heavy application. If you're applying your sunscreen or sunblock (chemicals are sunscreen, minerals are sunblock - one filters, the other physically blocks the sun's rays) as a separate step, you get to determine how much you apply.

I burn very, very quickly - as you can see, I'm very pale. Additionally, I have a skin condition and take a medication for a genetic autoimmune disease that makes me more prone to burning. My average time in the sun to a burn on a partially-cloudy day in the summer in my area, as timed by my dermatologist, is about three to four minutes. This means that with SPF 30 sunblock on, I can be in the sun about 90 to 120 minutes. SPF is a multiplier for the time you can be outside from the normal time you burn. (Take the time it takes you to burn x SPF = Time outside with that product) To be safe in the summer, SPF40 gets me 120 to 160 minutes - which takes me to the two hour reapplication mark most producers suggest.

Also keep in mind that no sunscreen on the market will advise you to stay in the sun with it on longer than 2 hours (or 120 minutes) without reapplying. Sweat, water, and transfer can all take off your sunscreen/block. SPF ratings above 45 or so have been shown in a few different studies to be inaccurate, faulty, or downright fraudulent. You are better off getting a tinted moisturizer and reapplying your sunscreen and touching up your makeup through the day than you are trying to go with an SPF 60, 70, or higher product. I do have very high SPF sunblock (I have some that range from 50 to 120) that I use for days at the beach, on the water, in the snow, and other high-UV environments - there's a place for these products but daily use isn't really it. When you're using sunscreen, you should also be putting it on places you don't usually put your foundation - the back of your neck, the tops of your hands, your arms, the tops of your feet if you're wearing sandals and your legs if you're wearing shorts or a skirt, the tops of your ears and a million other places. So, you're not really doubling up on products anyway! :)

So, do I think you need the highest SPF foundation? No. I think you need one that's going to work with your skin, especially at your age. You want something free of parabens, light on coverage (or buildable - odds are good you don't need a full-coverage right out of the gate,) and breathable. Worry about color matching and coverage, then worry about SPF - you can always do SPF separately. :)

Before buying any foundation, I suggest visiting your local Sephora (if you have one) and your local high-end department store (Macy's, Dillards, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, whatever you have in your area) and visiting a few counters. Tell them you're new to make up and are looking to try a few things. Don't be afraid to ask for samples but don't be shocked if they say no - it helps you ask for specific samples ("I was wondering if you could help match me to a foundation and send me home with a sample to try applying myself at home before I buy it?") If you are not intending to buy anything that day, don't take up the time of a sales representative when there is someone else at the counter - ask if you can look around while they help the other customer and help you when they're less busy. Visit your local MAC counter on a day when they're not busy - most of the folks that work at MAC love makeup and fun looks and are happy to show new folks how to apply. The catch with visiting a counter is that a purchase is implied if you get assistance applying product or learning a new technique - make sure to tell them up front if you're not buying today. If you get a rude employee, don't be afraid to look for another one - it's nothing about you, personally, I've been blown off by dozens of makeup counter sales folks when I was intending to drop hundreds of dollars that day - even at MAC. You never know why you've been blown off - a bad day for the employee, a sale that went south, or a general attitude issue; it's better to just move on to someone who will help you or come back another day than to worry too much about it.

Sephora is a lot more of a relaxed environment where customers are encouraged to (cleanly! If you don't know how, ask an employee! They have swabs and applicators to use) test products - personally, I never use a Sephora tester on my face but on the back of my hand or the inside of my arm, no problem. At the same time, they don't have everything a high-end counter is going to have and the store employees are more likely to be retail folks than makeup pros (or highly invested hobbyists,) in addition to carrying a dizzying array of products it's hard to be fully knowledgeable on, so you're more on your own in a Sephora than you would be at, say, a MAC counter.

miaclara

I didn't know many of these things!
icon_eek.gif
Thank you SO much!

I wear a SPF 40. I apply it as soon as I wake up and have been wearing since I was 10 or 11. My mom would often take me to the doctor to get a regular checkup on my skin (since I have always been allergy-prone and could be frequently seen with some kind of irritation XD) so I began wearing sunscreen early. I don't reapply it even though I know I should. I don't know, I barely get out in the sun anyways. Just for you to have an idea, I don't remember when was the last time I went to the beach! Maybe 2 years ago? I'm not kidding! haha

I should indeed take time to visit Sephora.

ladymeag

Being in the sunlight isn't the only way to get UV exposure - you can get a burn on a cloudy day (I live in Seattle, my dermatologist says he sees so many people who don't realize that UV exposure still happens on cloudy days, of which we have a lot.) I hear you, though, I carry an umbrella or parasol (mine are coated and UPF treated, sadly the guy that made them no longer does) on sunny days and when I do go to the beach, I wear a long sleeve UPF cover-up. :)

Think about carrying some in your bag to reapply on your arms, ears, neck, and so forth, at the very least!