Feeling Fat in 06

joytheobscure

I want to lose weight for the first time in my life- I was the size 3 -5 up until about age 26- I'm 28 now I weigh around 130, I'm 5'5" I'm a 7-9. All my weight is in my belly and slightly in my thighs. I'm depressed over this and can't seem to stop eating- I've always been a junk food junkie. I think if I could stop one thing drinking mountain dew would probably be the best thing to start losing immediately. I also need to quit baking - darn santa and holidays..I love to bake cookies, cakes, pies..I was also raised in the southern fried tradition without tons of green veggies. So its stacked against me.

When I was 18 my mom let me get into the John Casablancas rip off class on modeling and acting...I was the only one told I had a perfect figure
ssad.gif
34-23-33 :::
oh.gif
h to be 18 again::::: OK so this is where I'm coming from.

Anyone else wanting to start the new year off by losing a little or a lot? I just see myself getting older, fatter and don't want to be that way. I grew up listening to my mom complain about her weight even though she was never that big in my opinion --

I think my first goal is getting down to one mountain dew a day. This is the main thing different in my diet since I began working full time, I get stressed I can drink four or five MD's a day.

So here is my last question what is the best tasting diet soda?

pumpkincat210

Sounds like my problem a bit.. well not really.. I had 3 babies in 3 years.. I weigh 150 now and need to get to my target weight of 125.. I am so happy that it is not as much as I thought. My weight in high school was 108 and I was going by that number..but i'd acually grown 2.5 inches, which made a difference. So I need to lose 25 pounds this year. but it will be hard because my metabolism has slowed.
But i feel you on the sodas and junk food. They taste so freaking good.

mspixieears

I'm assuming you're in North America, where they really love their soda/soft or fizzy drinks...

I do have a recommendation but it's not soda. How about home-made lemonade? Instead of sugar, you could use artificial sweetener. I hate drinking straight-out water (though I'm getting used to it!) and instead drink lemon barley cordial - at first started making it strong but now I use less as I have got used to the taste. It's really refreshing.

Also, instead of adding water to cordial, you could add soda water (as in the one that tastes of nothing) and make the cordial less sweeter.

Ironically, my plan for this year is to eat more, skipping meals is far too easy for me, but I know it's not healthy.

pumpkincat210

mspixieears said:
I'm assuming you're in North America, where they really love their soda/soft or fizzy drinks...

haha, yup the good ole U.S. where the food portions are Ginormous.
I swear everyone in texas eats like its their last meal.. and oh, Houston was voted fattest city in the u.s. two times in a row.
Besides eating less, I would like to work out more. I'd prefer to do this outside, but from April to October its HOT outside and miserable to jog.
I should join a gym, but i'm not all about their sales pitch, always want you to buy something deal..
I'm thinking about doing yoga and pilates.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears

I do have a recommendation but it's not soda. How about home-made lemonade? Instead of sugar, you could use artificial sweetener. I hate drinking straight-out water (though I'm getting used to it!) and instead drink lemon barley cordial - at first started making it strong but now I use less as I have got used to the taste. It's really refreshing.

Also, instead of adding water to cordial, you could add soda water (as in the one that tastes of nothing) and make the cordial less sweeter.

Ironically, my plan for this year is to eat more, skipping meals is far too easy for me, but I know it's not healthy.

Yes, I'm in Oklahoma USA- I am addicted to my soda. I actually am going to start drinking water with that crystal lite stuff in it, its a no or next to no calorie drink and they have peach tea.

You can have my extra meals for me <grin> What is ironic is with my children I've never allowed them to have soda or sweet drinks and my four and nine year old will not touch soda - they hate it they will only drink water or milk.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Sounds like my problem a bit.. well not really.. I had 3 babies in 3 years.. I weigh 150 now and need to get to my target weight of 125.. I am so happy that it is not as much as I thought. My weight in high school was 108 and I was going by that number..but i'd acually grown 2.5 inches, which made a difference. So I need to lose 25 pounds this year. but it will be hard because my metabolism has slowed.
But i feel you on the sodas and junk food. They taste so freaking good.

Oh wow, three babies in three years, now that is work!! Mine are spaced fairly close and are 9,7, and 4- I lost the weight after the kids -I'm at about what I always left the hospital at now. I'd like to be 120 I'd like to be thinner. The trouble is I'm big enough that I notice and my family is teasing me- a little because I've always been the skinny one.

How old are your kids? I weighed 108 in High School too... I never thought I'd get to be one of those women that would be worried about weight because I lost weight so quick after the kids. Besides my highschool classmates always wished getting fat on me. LOL

caffn8me

I've been slowly losing weight since the latter half of 2005 and want to continue in 2006. I am tall (6'0") but hit a peak weight of 192 pounds and found that my thighs were too large to fit my jeans comfortably and I got out of breath climbing the hill to my apartment.

I'm now back down to 172 and have a target weight of 154 so I guess I'm about half way there. My big problem is food and having a lot of friends who own or manage restaurants doesn't help. I've had a couple of emails and text messages from my favourite restaurants in the past three weeks because they're concerned that they haven't seen me for a while and want to know I'm OK. It's not that they need my business as I rarely pay at one of them and the other gets 1,200 telephone booking enquiries a day for its 33 tables so is always full!

I also need to be a bit more careful what I eat as I recently had my cholesterol tested and it's on the high side (it's a genetics thing)
ssad.gif

Now that the christmas excesses are over it should be easier to make progress again. Good luck to everyone else hoping to lose a few pounds in 2006.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure
Oh wow, three babies in three years, now that is work!! Mine are spaced fairly close and are 9,7, and 4- I lost the weight after the kids -I'm at about what I always left the hospital at now. I'd like to be 120 I'd like to be thinner. The trouble is I'm big enough that I notice and my family is teasing me- a little because I've always been the skinny one.

How old are your kids? I weighed 108 in High School too... I never thought I'd get to be one of those women that would be worried about weight because I lost weight so quick after the kids. Besides my highschool classmates always wished getting fat on me. LOL

They are 3, almost 2, and 4 months..
I lost the weight after the first but the second, my son, weighed 9.4 pounds at birth and that is the one that killed me. I had to take prednisone for a week during my pregnancy and i gained 20 pounds in a week that i've never lost. Then I was on birth control which made me gain 5 pounds.
My metabolism is very slow now
ssad.gif
With three kids i work my butt off, so hopefully i'll lose some as summer comes..
Lol, my grandma teases me about my weight now too. but it is encouraging me to lose the weight,
My husband knows better than to say anything but You're beautiful, you're hot. Thank goodness.

caffn8me

Quote:
haha, yup the good ole U.S. where the food portions are Ginormous.

They are indeed. Working quite a lot in the deep south over the past couple of years hasn't helped my waistline. Back in May last year I was working about 50 miles south of Atlanta and wanted to try the BBQ ribs at the local BBQ shack close to the office. I decided the ribs looked too large so thought a rib sandwich would be a lot smaller and less messy as I had an important business meeting after lunch and didn't want to get BBQ sauce all over my clothes.

Fat chance as they say!

ribwich.jpg

Note the Diet Coke though
winks.gif

joytheobscure

Quote:
They are 3, almost 2, and 4 months..
I lost the weight after the first but the second, my son, weighed 9.4 pounds at birth and that is the one that killed me. I had to take prednisone for a week during my pregnancy and i gained 20 pounds in a week that i've never lost. Then I was on birth control which made me gain 5 pounds.
My metabolism is very slow now
ssad.gif
With three kids i work my butt off, so hopefully i'll lose some as summer comes..
Lol, my grandma teases me about my weight now too. but it is encouraging me to lose the weight,
My husband knows better than to say anything but You're beautiful, you're hot. Thank goodness.

I take prednisone off an on for a week at a time-thankfully Ihaven't had a huge weight gain but my gain has been since I began taking regular meds for asthma. I take advair andI think thats hurt me this year it is a form of steroid. WOW, 3,2 and 4 mos... You are one tired woman! I bet they are all adorable. I just don't know how you do it my four year old exhausts me he is so demanding.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
I've been slowly losing weight since the latter half of 2005 and want to continue in 2006. I am tall (6'0") but hit a peak weight of 192 pounds and found that my thighs were too large to fit my jeans comfortably and I got out of breath climbing the hill to my apartment.

I'm now back down to 172 and have a target weight of 154 so I guess I'm about half way there. My big problem is food and having a lot of friends who own or manage restaurants doesn't help. I've had a couple of emails and text messages from my favourite restaurants in the past three weeks because they're concerned that they haven't seen me for a while and want to know I'm OK. It's not that they need my business as I rarely pay at one of them and the other gets 1,200 telephone booking enquiries a day for its 33 tables so is always full!.

I wouldn't mind having friends like that! You are tall -I'm jealous. You did a good job losing though.

lovejam

I hope to lose the rest of my baby weight, and perhaps a little extra. But, diets never seem to work. My body doesn't seem to want to go below a certain weight.

Way I see it, I'd like to lose weight and be svelte and such, but I'm not going to stress over it. If it happens, awesome, if not, oh well.

The problem is that I hate artificial sweetener (and can't have it besides, since it literally makes me very sick), so it's either soda or water. Or juice. Haha. Either way, I can't really do all the diet stuff everyone else does (I also can't tolerate raw veggies, so salad is out of the question), so it's hard to really lose weight.

ruby_soho

I've never been happy with my body. I didn't read everyones posts, but from what I did I'm the biggest of all!
ssad.gif
I'm 5'5/5'6 and 170 apparently. I've never lost weight. For good tasting diet sodas look for Free & Clear, fruit flavoured drinks that are calorie free. I also really like the Nestle, Dasani and whoever flavoured waters.

bluegrassbabe

Me, too. I'm 5'10 and about 165. I discoved the other day after weighing myself for the first time in ages, that I had gained 22 pounds. I never noticed it until I saw a pic someone had taken of me at a wedding. I had no clue I had gotten so chubby. It has been harder to control my eating habits since I got married about a year and a hald ago. When I lived alone I pretty much only kept healthy foods in the house, and never bought junk food. My hubby eats all the candy and potato chips he likes and never gains a pound. He also brings me "gifts" of food quite abit. Who can resist chocolate cake delivered by the man you love?
I'm crackin down after the 8th of this month. That will be my last holiday get-together. I'm going to take some of my christmas money and get some exercise equipment.
Good luck, girls!

Tyester

Losing wieght through excercise is the easy part. Dieting is the mental, and by far, the toughest part. Just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not resort to "diet pills", liposuction(that goes for you too Mrs. you know who), crash/yoyo/atkins diets, etc... All the claims to fame about losing such n such wieght in a certain amount of time are not always fool-proof. While they MIGHT possibly yeild you some results, they do not always work. Just remember, consistency is key, wiether in the diet and/or excercise dept.(preferably both)

In fact, if anyone really has any specific questions or needs some advice, feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to do my best. Just remember, only you can change yourself for you alone.

GreekChick

The only thing diet pills could do is hurt you and provide no effect for the long run, seeing that they dont change your metabolism, or your eating habits, which, according to what you said, will make you regain the weight. You have to reajust the way that you eat. Cutting down on soda is a huge progress : more than 2 per day affect not only your weight dramatically but also you health..think about it, coke, sprite, mountain dew, etc are only filled with sugar/aspartame which pack on the calories and can present many dangers later on in your health. Your best bet would be to start drinking alot of water, about 8-10 glasses a day, which will cleanse out your system and wash out the toxins. It will also make your skin glow,keep you hydrated flatten your tummy, and give you more energy. And it is far more healthy than 7 mountain dews per day. And the best way to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF would be to load up on vegetables, and fruits, and cut back on all the fat you might be consuming. Also, keep you diet balanced, have your healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner and include two snacks, such as fruit or nuts. Finally, get moving. Work out, take a walk, do some yoga, etc..this will firm your body, build your stamina, and boost your confidence...
Good luck with everything, and remember that everything is allowed, as long as you keep in mind that proportion matters!

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure
I wouldn't mind having friends like that! You are tall -I'm jealous. You did a good job losing though.

It's all gone horribly wrong tonight! I had a phone call from one of the restaurants asking me to go round for dinner this evening. I thought I'd pick something nice and light from the menu but I didn't get what I ordered. Well, I did but they sent out other things from the kitchens for me to try as well! No bill (check for those of you in the USA) at the end of the meal either. I'm now back home feeling very full wondering how I'm going to get my diet back on track again! I have some wonderful friends but it doesn't always help my figure!

Christina Victoria

I'm sort of in the same boat as you - I'm about 5'7" - 5'8" and about 126 lbs. I'd -love- to get back down to where I was last year, 115 lbs. I do modelling as well, and right now I'm at a size 3 - 5 but I would love to be a solid 3. I find that the best way is to eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, eat only wheat carbs, lots of water and lots of lean lunch meats.

I'd love to maybe record our progress together, company is always motivating!

Tyester

Just beware of fruit late at night. In fact, all sugar as well.

Fruit contains fructose which is a form of sugar. Sugar causes an insulin spike, which can A: keep you up later than usual(remember you NEED sleep) B: causes the body to speed up it's caloric use, but will rapidly fall off(crashing- loss of energy and weakness) and cause it to store fat.

But fruit at breakfast, midmorning, lunch and after a workout are the times of the day I'd shoot for. Breakfast and after the workout are the best tho.

missdiorable

you guys should try weight watchers my mom did that & she lost about 50 lbs doing that & our old neighbor did it too & she lost about 100 lbs. she was featured on one of the weight watchers issues too.