Finding a drugstore concealer shade?

stephy_hui

Hi ladies,

I've heard from other ppl that we should go one or two shades lighter than our foundation shade... but the problem is that i dont use foundation so i'm having problem with finding the shade for concealer at a drugstore... since u know u pretty much cant (and u wouldnt want to anyways) test it under ur eyes... i just bought the revlon age defying concealer in light shade last week and man it was just totally wrong! and there it goes my $10!!! so any tips of finding the shade when u cant test it under ur eyes???

thanks for ur help!

liv

Don't go lighter than your skin color, unless you are using it ONLY under your eyes (and it's only very slightly lighter), because if you aren't usng a foundation, you're only going to be highlighting what you want to hide by using a shade too light. That's my experience, anyways.

Maybelline Age Rewind concealer (it's in a squeeze tube) was pretty good, but the color match didn't work for me, it didn't come light enough. But the coverage was good and the texture blended well.

Dreamergirl3

if you can, try going to drugstores that let you return your cosmetic purchases. That way you're less likely to waste money since you can get it back
smiles.gif
I have the revlon concealer as well and don't like it very much anymore. it's become too chalky and doesn't blend well at all. sad, I used to love it :/

ms_bloom

I think the problem is that, like the other ladies have said, if you're not wearing foundation then your concealer should only be a half shade lighter than your skin, maybe up to one shade lighter if you have very dark circles. But because you are shopping at the drugstore, there is much less choice in concealer shades. You may, of course, get lucky! It's worse here in Australia, we hardly ever get the full range of drugstore lines.

I think a foundation stick with good coverage would be a good compromise. They come in more shades than concealer and then you could also use it as a concealer over other areas, like around your nose. This isn't a drugstore rec, but Bobbi Brown's Foundation Stick works really well for me as an under-eye and all-purpose concealer.

stephy_hui

ooo i never knew u can use foundation as concealer!! thanks for the tip and i'll try it out!
i might end up getting the estee lauder smoothing concealer though... cuz iv'e heard good reviews about it.

xiahe

if you're not wearing foundation you should try to find a concealer that matches your skintone exactly...i loooove L'Oreal's infallible concealer. it's expensive and the shade selection is crappy but surprisingly i bought it in fair/light and it's a perfect match for me. some people didn't like it because they thought the texture was "too chalky" but i really like it...i guess it depends on your preference. it also got really good reviews on MUA
smiles.gif

Kuuipo

Long's drugstore has testers....in the end it saves the store megabucks. There are lots of good drugstore concealors. Neutrogena, Revlon's Colorstay (pretty darn good),Covergirl and Maybelline.....under the eyes I would use a more liquidy formula.....on the skin you can use your own foundation,blot, reapply,blot reapply...it should look seamless.