Fine, Long hair?

p3nut

Okay, so I have quite a few questions!! My hair is pretty long at the moment, just a little past my boobs, but my hair is crazy fine AND curly. because it's so fine and naturally curly, I constantly get these tiny knots in my hair. i wash my hair about twice a week, otherwise if I wash it every second day my hair gets greasy from all the shampoo & product! my hair is pretty healthy, although the ends are still pretty fried (for those of you who maaaybe don't remember me, I had super short neon pink hair a few years back!) I've stopped dying my hair for the last year or so, and just do the roots every couple of months when they really start to show. my hair's now black. everytime I wash my hair though, I use a lot of hair when i'm detangling, I guess mostly because of the fine knots, but sometimes it scares the crap out of me and I feel like i'm balding, lmfao. I don't brush my hair everyday though, because my hairdresser told me to*only* brush it when it's wet because of the curls. Is this right though?? I read somewhere you're supposed to loose around 100 hairs a day, so i'm thinking the hairs just all accumulate and then whne i actually comb it they come out? I find especially after i've done my roots (I just did my roots last weekend) I loose a lot of hair. I know there isn't much I can do about my genes & hair, but is there anyway to make fine, curly hair more manageable? and if i'm just dying the new growth of my hair, is that still enough to damage it? I use natural instinct's dye.

...I THINK that's it. thanks, LOL!

LRWade

So many questions, I'm just going to go through this a bit at a time!

Modern hair dye is far better than from a few years ago, it actually makes your hair incredibly healthy looking when you do it. I would suggest applying to the roots, leaving for half the time then applying to the rest of it for the last half, I can only account for dark dying not lightening though. I would strongly suggest snipping off the fried parts-hair is dead when it leaves the shaft, there is no amount of product or care that can make it look or feel healthy.

Don't use a brush on wet hair, that will damage it further. On wet hair you should use a wide tooth comb only. Actually the same goes for curly hair when dry so invest in a couple of good quality wide tooth combs. The right tools will do most of the work for you.

When you're combing your wet hair, it's simply that you notice the amount of hair coming out more, don't worry, it will still be the same amount of hair you would normally loose. Also, if you remove already loose hair in the shower, less will fall off onto your clothes during the rest of the day. In the periods when you don't wash it, you won't notice but it is still falling out at a normal rate. If you feel there is an increase every time you wash your hair, I would suggest that then there may be something wrong.

Tugs and tangles-not much you can do here, long fine hair is realy hard to keep smooth. Tying your hair up in bed wil help loads, it will stop it getting tangled in the night.

In short-do dye all of your hair, it will make it shiny,don't worry about hair loss in the shower it's simply that you notice it more.

Wade
xxx

p3nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRWade
So many questions, I'm just going to go through this a bit at a time!

Modern hair dye is far better than from a few years ago, it actually makes your hair incredibly healthy looking when you do it. I would suggest applying to the roots, leaving for half the time then applying to the rest of it for the last half, I can only account for dark dying not lightening though. I would strongly suggest snipping off the fried parts-hair is dead when it leaves the shaft, there is no amount of product or care that can make it look or feel healthy.

Don't use a brush on wet hair, that will damage it further. On wet hair you should use a wide tooth comb only. Actually the same goes for curly hair when dry so invest in a couple of good quality wide tooth combs. The right tools will do most of the work for you.

When you're combing your wet hair, it's simply that you notice the amount of hair coming out more, don't worry, it will still be the same amount of hair you would normally loose. Also, if you remove already loose hair in the shower, less will fall off onto your clothes during the rest of the day. In the periods when you don't wash it, you won't notice but it is still falling out at a normal rate. If you feel there is an increase every time you wash your hair, I would suggest that then there may be something wrong.

Tugs and tangles-not much you can do here, long fine hair is realy hard to keep smooth. Tying your hair up in bed wil help loads, it will stop it getting tangled in the night.

In short-do dye all of your hair, it will make it shiny,don't worry about hair loss in the shower it's simply that you notice it more.

Wade
xxx

Sorry, I should've been more specific! I use a wide toothed comb after I apply my conditoner in the shower, I never use an actual hair brush, lol.

I dye my hair jet black with the natural instincts, and I only keep it on the new growth of my roots for about 8 mins. I think the max time it says to keep it on for the overall head was 10-15 min? I can remember YEARS ago having to keep it on for like forty minutes, so I guess there is a little improvement there. My hairdresser told me to keep the dye off my ends, which is why I only do the roots. but you think it'd be okay to do my overall head once in a while? How often would you say is safe? my hair used to be super fried from all the product and damage i've done to it when I had my unnatural hair colors, so i've been growing it out since then. I get trims about every two and a half months, and I have an app. to go next week, which is probably why my ends are so noticeably annoying me now. otherwise they're usually in pretty good shape.

I've never thought about tying my hair in bed. Just in a loose ponytail? Wouldn't that make my tangles worse if i'm flopping around in bed with the ponytail? Do you use a thick fabric band or?

Thanks for your help!!
smiles.gif