First time MOH who needs help!!

euphrosyne_rose

I posted awhile back about some frustrations I was having being a maid of honor in my best friend's wedding. Basically the 2 other bridesmaids plus the bride's mother and aunt are hosting the bridal shower and we are splitting the costs between us when it's over. The bride's mother emailed all of us awhile back to ask what we wanted to do for our hostess gift. I had never heard of a hostess gift but it sounded like she wanted all of us to put our money together and get a big gift from the bride's registry. I had already planned on getting her something from it with another person who was going in on it with me so me and another bridesmaid told the mother that between hosting the shower, buying our dresses and having to take off work, we didn't have the money to buy a "hostess" gift and we haven't heard anymore about it.

My question now is when do I give my gift? Do I give it at the shower or at the wedding? Am I supposed to give a gift at both? I've never been in a wedding before so all this is very new to me and it confuses me. Some people have told me that sometimes the bridesmaids do put money together for a gift but then other people have told me that it's the bride who is supposed to give hostess gifts. Then I wondered if we should actually give a gift to the person whose house the shower will be at. I am completely at a loss on what to do, especially since what I've read online is all conflicting information. I don't want to seem like a bitch, but I really CAN'T afford right now to do anything extra b/c the shower is in 2 weeks and we still have to pick up our dresses and pay the remaining balance on it and I'm also paying on some pretty hefty doctor bills I accumulated over the summer. HELP!!!

honybr

When I was in my friend's wedding I gave her a gift at the shower but I didn't give anything for the wedding. I figured the attire I purchased was a nice gift.
winks.gif

As far as the hostess gift, when I was getting married I gave a gift to the hostess of my shower. I didn't even think to ask my bridesmaid (I only had 1) to do that.

If all else fails, just tell your friend your situation and that you love her, but only could afford the one gift. I'm sure she won't mind at all.

Hope that helps!