Flying for the 1st time tmrw - Advice?

BoriiQua

Yeah, im WIDE awake an a hot ass mess (sorry) lol Anyone have any suggestions on what or what not to do before a trip?

To top it off the airline we will be flying with crashed yesterday ( was a charter/commuter (?) plane, but still! )

Im a Christian and I fully believe what happens, will! But man, relaxing isn't coming easy. And I still haven't packed! It would help if I logged off here LOL

Is Dramamine worth picking up tmrw?

Sorry for this lame topic, but its on my mind
smiles.gif

Aremisia

Hey! sorry you are so nervous!
I know that flying can be a scary thing, especially if you have never done it before. My best advice is to bring an MP3 player loaded up with your favorite music and a great book (either a novel/nonfiction or something like a sudoku or crosswords) that you can get totally involved in during the flight.
I also always bring my pillow with me when I fly (with a spare pillowcase to switch out when I get to my destination). Having a comfy and comforting reminder of home to squeeze can help your nerves!
I have never needed Dramamine on a plane. I do get carsick and sometimes seasick, but never planesick! lol If you think you need it to help you sleep, go for it, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity. If you have time to hit up a natural suppliment store you could try some melatonin. It is a natural hormone that your body produces as a cue to sleep, so when taken it helps you fall asleep. If I take 1-2 mg it doesn't make me groggy, either. If you want to sleep on the plane, I for sure recommend it. It would also be great to help with jet lag.
One more thing: Don't forget some chewing gum! It will totally help your ears to pop during take off and landing!
Hope this helps, and have fun!

BoriiQua

Awesome advice! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.. I will def do the music, crossword pillow & gum things!

Cant wait to get past this lol

iadoremac

Dont wear white and carry your makeup in your hand luggage and since you said you are christian read psalm 91.

chiquilla_loca

not sure if you went on your flight yet...
but i was always take my ipod for relaxation, wear comfy clothing, & usually will wear sandals/flip flops, cause at the security checkpoint, they will make you take your shoes & socks off, try to pack lightly so you don't have a lot to haul on the plane, go to the bathroom before you get on the plane, &
i try not to take any meds, since once i fell dead asleep on the plane travelling with my daughter she was 5 at the time, and when i woke-up she had a drink & snack from the stewardess. i'm not sure if i was snoring or what. anyways,
make the sign of the cross, and say a prayer, and i hope you have safe travels!

L1LMAMAJ

flying may be scary but much of it is psychological. car accidents happen much much more than plane accidents. don't worry so much. keep yourself occupied during the trip (read books or listen to music) so time will seem like it's passing by faster. gl!

User35

DRINK BOOZE !!!!

Its personally my favorite thing to do before and during a flight. I dont get nervous about flying, I just like to drink. I pass the time by people watching or chatting with my neighbour. Books, magazines also work.

dulcekitty

If you don't have to bring a lot of luggage, DON'T. Even better if you can fit what you need in a carry on. The trouble comes when you have to pick up the luggage you checked... Not only is the waiting annoying and fighting for your luggage, but there's the chance of it getting lost as well as lugging it through the airport both ways. Make it as simple as possible.

Oh, and bring a good book or music. It'll get boring quick and it'll occupy your mind and make the flight faster.

You'll be fine and wonder what you were nervous about to begin with!
th_wink3.gif

MACATTAK

I totally agree with chewing gum. Also, if you have a small bladder don't drink too much. How long is your flight? Once I went on a shorter flight & they NEVER turned off the seatbelt light (to get out of your seat). I had to harass the stewardess a few times, because I was about to pee my pants!(yes I went before we took off, and I only had 1 drink
smiles.gif

RockStar

I would recommend buying one of those inflatable neck pillows, they probably sell them a the duty-free store, they're alot better than the ones given in the plane.
yes.gif

BoriiQua

Thanks for all of your comments! Everything went GOOD & im glad it's over (until I got to go back home! ) lol SUCH helpful advice <3

ClaireAvril

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
flying may be scary but much of it is psychological. car accidents happen much much more than plane accidents. don't worry so much. keep yourself occupied during the trip (read books or listen to music) so time will seem like it's passing by faster. gl!

Stole the words right from my fingertips. You're more likely to get in a car accident than in a plane crash.
I guess pay attention to the safety precautions
like you've already said.. if its your time to go then let it be
and bring fun things to take your mind off of the situation. Once you're in the air in normal conditions you forget you're even flying.
oh yes and bring gum or candy.. i hate that ear popping stuff.

LMD84

i get quite nervous when flying but i also get really excited too! to try and calm my nerves and excitement i always bring a magazine to read before the in flight films start. i also always have some sucky sweets or chewing gum for take off to help combat the ear popping. that's what upsets me most about flying because i have issues with my ears anyways and this upsets them even more!

if there is no inflight films then maybe bring your ipod and put some videos on it. when i'm on long coach trips i put lots of sex and the city episodes on my ipod!

gildedangel

One of the best things you can do is to prepare everything early, at least several hours before your flight. Have everything packed and ready to go. I put videos and podcasts on my ipod to help pass the time. I fly all the time and I still get nervous because I am naturally an anxious person, but there is nothing to worry about! Just bring things to occupy yourself and try to relax. Enjoy your flight, good luck!

Aremisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoriiQua
Thanks for all of your comments! Everything went GOOD & im glad it's over (until I got to go back home! ) lol SUCH helpful advice <3

Yay! I'm glad that your flight went ok! I had you in my thoughts.
smiles.gif

tremorviolet

I'm glad your flight went great. I didn't start flying much until I was like 28 and I remember I was so nervous I made a friend come wait with me a the airport (this was before 9/11 when they locked down the airports). I do it so often now I can't believe how scared I was the first time.

Anyway, I was gonna say, make sure you take a hoodie or a fleece in your carry-on stuff, a lot of times airplanes get sooooo cold and that's always miserable. Oh, but it's also good to be wearing a tank top or cami because sometimes you have to sit on the parked plane for a while and it'll be really, really hot. So I guess the advice is to be prepared for temperature extremes.
smiles.gif

User93

I'm glad everything went smooth! I completely agree with the post above: take some hoodie or a jacket, maybe just a big warm scarf with you, whenever I took long flights and especially when I was sitting next to the window it was really very cold in the plane at some point! I also take fluffy warm socks with me, so I can take my shoes off and just hang in those warm socks. Last time I took really war,m wool socks, and it was perfect
winks.gif

Just whenever you take a plane don't worry too much and enjoy your time!

Oh girls, and BY THE WAY! The woman sitting next to me in the plane this winter taught me an awesome trick. I always suffer from pain in the ears while taking off/landing, and even chewing gum didnt help me that much. So she said you need to yawn. I have no idea how it works, but it helped me so much!

joanbrent

Happy that everything went smooth
smiles.gif
... first thing is should never get yourself stressed out. Should arrive at the airport with plenty of time to check in.

Latest posts