Foundation and Dry Skin

coachkitten

I was doing a trial makeup run for my cousin's wedding this past week and ran into a problem. She has extremely dry skin between her eye browns and her forehead. It was very hard to get the foundation to blend so it didn't look cakey over the dry skin. I used the regular smashbox photofinish primer and a Lancome foundation.

I recommended that she exfoliate and try another moisturizer just where she is dry. But I am wondering as far as the foundation goes is there anything that I can use to prevent it being so cakey? The rest of the skin looked flawless. I just need some tips if any of you have them. Thanks!
smiles.gif

rachybloom

My skin is severely dry, especially during seasonal transitions (when summer hit I couldn't wear any face makeup because my skin was so flaky because of the sudden dry Phoenix heat :[ ). It hasn't been this bad, ever, so when it happened I had to do a lot of research. I found that light liquids work best.. I alternate which foundations I use, just for variety, but Laura Mercier's Moisturizing Foundation (Here) works nicely when applied with the fingertips in a patting motion or the MAC 187 brush. Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer is my hands down favorite for when my skin is really dry.. It has a coverage that is buildable which is nice.

If she needs help finding a good moisturizer, Pond's Dry Skin Cream is like five bux and it is the only thing that keeps my skin from flaking. I use that at night with Clinique Moisture Surge on top (it seals in the moisture, it might be worth it for her to invest in this, I def. notice a difference in my skin texture when I use this).

bajsan

I agree with the previous comment that she will have to exfoliate (something gentle) and use a good moisturizer -perhaps an oil based one if she's not acne prone.

Also, skip the primer on her dry areas because it will flake, and just apply the foundation right after the moisturizer. Choose a tinted moisturizer or a hydrating liquid foundation (on the dry areas alone or the whole face) and spritz the MAC # 187 brush with a mist to moisten a little and then apply the foundation.