Foundation/concealer ref number question.

Hi everyone,

I ask the following question on the Kevin Aucoin forum but didn't really get the answer I needed.

I was wondering if MAC concealers match MAC foundations perfectly.

Here is why I'm asking this question. I'm a TV makeup artist here in Belgium. Lately I abandoned the classic approach of using a concealer that is one shade lighter than the foundation. Personally I find it more natural when the 2 match perfectly. Now, I would only use a lighter shade of concealer if I'm considering sculpting or shading the face of the person I'm working on. I'm not saying this is how everyone should do it, it's just what works for me.

So, does a MAC concealer and MAC foundation with the same ref. number have the exact same color?

Thanks for the help.

Janice

icon_bump.gif

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedriCCentriC
Hi everyone,

I ask the following question on the Kevin Aucoin forum but didn't really get the answer I needed.

I was wondering if MAC concealers match MAC foundations perfectly.

Here is why I'm asking this question. I'm a TV makeup artist here in Belgium. Lately I abandoned the classic approach of using a concealer that is one shade lighter than the foundation. Personally I find it more natural when the 2 match perfectly. Now, I would only use a lighter shade of concealer if I'm considering sculpting or shading the face of the person I'm working on. I'm not saying this is how everyone should do it, it's just what works for me.

So, does a MAC concealer and MAC foundation with the same ref. number have the exact same color?

Thanks for the help.

I hear ya.... I do the same thing!!
The short answer is yes... btw the stuff in the little pots is the SAME STUFF as the full coverage foundation... don't be fooled!
Also while I find the identical match works most of the time, I sometimes flip to the opposite depending on what I'm trying to cover - eg. some pinker tones have pink around the eyes, so I'll flip to an NC and some NC's need the pink in an NW to cover dark circles.
I also use Vanilla eyeshadow if they're particularly pale with bad circles. The Select Peach corrector works well, too...
Also, NWs and NCs do not correspond for depth of color - i.e. an NC15 is quite a bit darker than NW15.
Hope this helps...