FOUNDATION HELP!

ChynaDoll14

I am assemblying some makeup essentials for my mom, I have bought her a few thingsm eyeshadow palette, blush, lipstick etc. I would like to get her a foundation, which she REALLY needs( She's buying the wrong shades) BUT I want to include it in her birthday package without her knowing, How do I choose it?

I am planning to take her to MAC or another high end counter to get color matched but cannot do it right now. She has combination skin and is in her 40's. Suggestions?

sss215

foundations run really funny, so the best bet maybe to get her a gift card to a dept store, mac store or sephora to go with the package for the foundation purchase. she can test and purchase her shade at the same time.

ChynaDoll14

I will do so. I actually went with her to the drugstore and we color matched her to the Loreal Visble lift foundation but I will like to get her a REALLY good foundation, I love your idea of a gift card.

Mabelle

word to the wise. just dealing with a lot of women in their 40+ a lot of them dont like the idea of liquid foundation, especially if they dont wear much makeup. i hear a lot of "its going to look cakey, its going to go in my wrinkles, its not good for you, it too much work". We all know its not true, but sometimes you really need to re educate someone about their pre conceived notions of foundation. And sometimes, even after i tell them, they just have it so ingrained in their minds that they dont want it. Ive found popular choices for women 40+ to be; bare minerals/ Laura mercier loose mineral foundation (if shes not very dry), MUFE face and body, Laura mercier tinted moisturizer. The 2 most popular liquid foundations are mufe hd, and tarte's un wrinkle (the colours are funny though).

Again, this is only from my experience, working with the local public at Sephora.

ChynaDoll14

Thank you, she's not afraid of liquid foundation. On a daily basis however she likes to use creme to powder foundations and uses liquid for weekends or nights out. I have trouble helping her find her perfect shade as her face is darker than her neck. sometimes we make the mistake of going too light or too dark. I was thinking of taking her to a mac counter etc to get color matched to make it easier on ourselves.