Frustrated!

kattybadatty

Hello all! I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season =]

So, time to vent for a second.

Over the past year or so, I have applied to many makeup stores and counters all over the place. I have been offered positions at Sephora, and Beauty Advisor positions at Macy's, Saks, and Filene's. HOWEVER, I have yet to land a job at MAC.

I have talked to many artists from MAC, and about 90% of them say they were never formally trained, did not go to college, and have always had a 'talent' for cosmetic application.

So with that said, my mini-resume in a nut shell: I have modeled for 5 years now professionally, I teach cosmetics classes, I go to fashion school, I have done theatrical makeup for 6 years, I am always complimented on my makeup whenever shopping at MAC.... YET I cannot get a job? I applied to every MAC counter/boutique in Manhattan and Brooklyn, NY.

It gets me very discouraged when I feel that I work hard and do my best, but I can't cut it with the ONE company I am dying to work for.

I feel I have a great talent, but for some reason, it's not cutting it.

I do not have a portfolio. BUT I have been told I don't need one to work for MAC. True/untrue? What am I doing wrong? Business cards?

Please help me MAC Artists! =[ I'm not sure what else to do!!!

amoona

Why haven't you spoken to any management? If you're as qualified as you're saying then you should make sure the manager of whatever location you want to work for knows. Also you gotta remember sometimes its just as plain as they're not hiring. Just buddy up to the managers.

MadchenRogue

It could be that people are intimidated by your talent. If I were you I would focus more time in getting a portfolio and being an independent fashion consultant/make-up artist. People may see MAC as the holy grail of all jobs for the cosmetically inclined. From you resume you have described, you seem to be like a born leader. Quite frankly, focus on getting your talent showcased and if anyone has the nerve to ask you to be a make-up artist for MAC tell them exactly what happened to you. Maybe they will think twice on their hiring practices.

DirtyPlum

I would say start building up a portfolio. You will need to backup all the work you say you have done... dont be afraid to put photos in your portfolio that are old or perhaps from when you were starting out...
Also start doing face charts and add them to your portfolio...

I was asked what makeup colleges i had attended and also asked MAC product questions. I feel taking my portfolio to the interview helped... tbh i think those are the important things (some training, product knowlege and enthusiasm for MAC and the trade).

If at first you dont succeed, dust yourself off and try again...
Good luck!

lipshock

Seriously, a portfolio is not necessary. I do not know why so many people suggest handing in one because they all go in the trash. For them to see your makeup application skill, that is done during your DEMO portion of the interview process. So, do not bother with a portfolio, IMO.

Now, as far as your frustrations as to not getting hired, sometimes it is as plain and clear cut as they are just not hiring at the moment. Employment within MAC is very competitive and many times positions are filled from within, i.e. another artist moving to a different location, etc. Also, remember that MAC is also all about sales .. and I do believe you didn't list any previous retail experience so maybe that is an issue as well.

I do remember an artist from NY stating on Specktra that MAC in the NY region is very competitive so bear that in mind, as well.

I'm not sure what else to write but keep trying. Patience is a virtue, heh. :]

DirtyPlum

Are portfolios usually handed in, omg I would never just hand mine in to potentially lose all my work??
during my MAC interview, my portfolio was looked at in detail and commented on before being handed back to me... it also helps to give something extra to talk about. We ran out of time during my interview so I was only given 15 minutes for the demo!!

I am sooo glad i had my portfolio to show what I am capable of...
Yep I agree with lipshock that retail experience would be a pre-requisite.

xxx

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamyla
Are portfolios usually handed in, omg I would never just hand mine in to potentially lose all my work??

Yeah, some times when they turn in their application and resume, they turn in their portfolio as well. And when they do it like that, it does not get looked at except in glances and then it gets lost under papers and whatnot. I know, I've seen my manager's office.

Now, if you bring in a portfolio during your oral interview that's a different story. Of course they'll look at it and I am sure it goes into some consideration but it really doesn't give you any advantage/disadvantage to having one or not having one. I, for example, did not have one and it didn't hinder me.

Your resume should speak for itself, as well as you being able to "sell" yourself to MAC. They are extremely particular about what they want and what they don't want.

To the OP: Maybe next time you are in a location, you should see if you could get a chance to speak to a manager and ask them what they look for in applicants and possible future employees. But please do not kiss their ass and try to be best friends with them--they can read and see through the bullshit and it just makes you look childish.

kattybadatty

So a portfolio when going to APPLY is not necessary? I have not gotten past just handing them a resume. How do I go about doing that? I have spoken with managers every time I go there, and they say they will "get back to me." One manager said a couple days, so a week later I went back to Saks and she didn't say hello, probablly becacuse they were busy. Ugh, I don't know what to do! Some people say YES to a portfolio, some say it's not necessary. And I do not want to put all that work into a portfolio just to be given to a company I'm not hired with. =[ eeesh

kattybadatty

P.S. Lipshock - i LOVE your avatar!
smiles.gif

TheManda

Do you fill out an application when you drop off your resume? That's is 100% necessary. Also retail cosmetics experience is needed. M.A.C is an amazing company to work for and completely worth it. There is just a lot more than make up application involved in the job. If you have any retail experience I would talk that up on your resume.

amoona

Applications aren't even given out or asked to be filled out until you have been offered the position. We don't even have any applications at any of the counters I have worked at. And a portfolio doesn't mean jack because when you're working for MAC you're doing a different kind of make-up. Granted knowing how to do theatrical make-up will help you a lot and you'll bring amazing knowledge to your team, you'll most likely never use that at the counter except for halloween.

Like I said before they could probably just not be hiring, plus you're coming in during the holidays and they don't have time for you right now. If you want to get hired it's up to you to get yourself hired, you have to show the managers you want the job. If you've only handed in your resume and then wait for a call back then you're never going to get the job. If you've talked to the managers in person and they haven't called you back maybe you didn't stick in their minds, you just faded into the background. You gotta figure out what it was about you that didn't pop and change that.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I just know how it is. They only remember the ones they don't want to hire and the ones who they want to schedule to interview ASAP. All the people in the middle just kinda fade out.

kattybadatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Applications aren't even given out or asked to be filled out until you have been offered the position. We don't even have any applications at any of the counters I have worked at. And a portfolio doesn't mean jack because when you're working for MAC you're doing a different kind of make-up. Granted knowing how to do theatrical make-up will help you a lot and you'll bring amazing knowledge to your team, you'll most likely never use that at the counter except for halloween.

Like I said before they could probably just not be hiring, plus you're coming in during the holidays and they don't have time for you right now. If you want to get hired it's up to you to get yourself hired, you have to show the managers you want the job. If you've only handed in your resume and then wait for a call back then you're never going to get the job. If you've talked to the managers in person and they haven't called you back maybe you didn't stick in their minds, you just faded into the background. You gotta figure out what it was about you that didn't pop and change that.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I just know how it is. They only remember the ones they don't want to hire and the ones who they want to schedule to interview ASAP. All the people in the middle just kinda fade out.

Not harsh, at all! I'd rather MUAs be realistic, than say "Oh, just wait it out. The managers will come around." I'm REAL about this. REALLY serious about it, as I hope managers are aware. But maybe I should stand out more. Any suggestions? I mean I also, this past Fall, was going looking to do a retail internship for school, so they may have thought I was only going to be 'working' aka interning for a semester or a few weeks. But in reality, I wanted a part time position to do even after the interning time ended.

I feel like when I go to the counters/boutiques, I try to look the part. I'll wear black, head-to-toe, hair back, and makeup done as close to perfect as I can go. I walk into the store and either am recognized by employees, or am asked if I need help, then usually complimented on how my 'face' looks. I talk to a manager, then never hear back. And usually I'll go a couple times just to make myself look familiar to the manager... but I don't want to talk to him/her EVERY time I go into the store, which could easily be a couple times a week, you know? I don't want to look stalker-ish, or like I'm a kid who has nothing better to do than harass someone I could potentially work for...

I go back to NYC on the 20th, so I'm going to try to hit up a few counters for all KINDS of cosmetics companies. Maybe that's a good idea? To start at another counter, then skoot my way over to MAC eventually? Does that happen a lot, or rarely? That way, I can be seen (physically) by employees and managers frequently, but I will be getting retail cosmetics training at the same time. Am I on the right track? Not a good idea?

P.S. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
th_wink3.gif

TheManda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattybadatty
I go back to NYC on the 20th, so I'm going to try to hit up a few counters for all KINDS of cosmetics companies. Maybe that's a good idea? To start at another counter, then skoot my way over to MAC eventually? Does that happen a lot, or rarely? That way, I can be seen (physically) by employees and managers frequently, but I will be getting retail cosmetics training at the same time. Am I on the right track? Not a good idea?

It sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things. Working for another counter is a good idea. It would be good if you could do it at a store with a M.A.C location. That way you can become friends/co-workers with the managers. My suggestion would be to stay away from an Estee Lauder owned company. Transfering happens A LOT! You can cross sell when appropriate (brushes your counter may not have or a certain product...that way they can see you sell) this works well in the cases when the M.A.C counter is not on commission.

The reason why I say to stay away from an EL company is because then you have to have your Account Coordinator or Account Executive give permission. This can take a long time and it's a pain!

Also check the transfer policy. I know at Bloomies you have to stop working for 6 months before you can move to a different store. Keep up the good work it's so worth it!!

Happy Holidays