gel/ acrylic nails

MacVirgin

O.k hmm somehow i missed this.... have to agree with michie..... and here are my two cents on this topic.

Neither gel or acrylics should damage your nails or be painfull while applyin it or when it's on your nails. If it does your *cough* nailstylist is doing something wrong!
The only difrence between gel and acryl is how the product look in the the pots, how you apply them and how they dry.. both products are member of the acrylicfamily.

First things first!
When you walk into a salon make shure it looks clean!. Look at how they work and ask questions!!. You can get some freaky shit on your nails from dirty tools and people who call themself nailtech who knows othing!. Be carefull!

Clean!
Before aplying nails ate the salon both your hands ad the hands of the nailtech have to be saniticed. Make shure the table is cleaned, they sterelise their tools, used clean table towels and the files they used are new or if you are a regular that you have your own personal kit. That's how i do it. Don't want no fungus in my studio. If i see something weard on your nails that i don't trust... you're out of there! lol. I won't go in to naildesees (spelling??) cause i'm not giving clases here lol!

prepping
So after both your hands are cleaned the tech should remove any nailpolish before she can begin the proces (and some more things) but like i said i'm not gonna go into details how to do it, what's next and what they use... but i'll tell you this part you need to know..
i hear people saying their nails got weak after aking the product off. First you do not take the product of yourself second... when the stylist begins to remove the oils of the nails (filing on the natural nail), moisture or any other ooky that might give you some freaky shit if you aply anything on top of that....... she or he should do it with something like a sandingblok or a fine nailfile. At this stage it's not the point to make the nails thin! but just remove the natural oils on the surface of the nail so the product sticks better and there is nothing left that might cause somthing growing on there or the nail to flip off. A lot of fungus or other freaky shit is caused by not prepping correctly!
eeksign.gif

weaker nail?:
The only reason why some people feel their nails got weaker it;s because your stylist filed like a maniac or pushed the file to hardon the surface of the nails. They should do this with a light hand.

Wraps
Wrap is indeed weaker, i only use this system on a natural damaged nail who has a split or something like that or to strengten the natural nail. If someone has weak nails that ben easy when it's we. You guys gonna have to excuse me. Still remember i'm dutch, so i might have problems explaining these things. but i'll try my best.

Acryl
This is a powder and liquid....you mix these 2 together by dipping the brush first into the fluid and then the powder.. it looks like ball at the top of the brush.... now you sculpt to make the nail. I don't like it so i don't use this if i don't need/have to. Depending on the type of acrylics the nailtech is working with, it either dry's while putting it on or under a lamp.

Gel
this is a sticky substance that kinda looks like clearglue.... you have many type of gels. Some are used to build, shine, for color and so on. There are 2 types, 1 should be dryid under light and for the other you need spray a goodie to dry it. You aply this with a brush to to sculpt it.

Shapping
When all nails are done your stylist is ready to buff the nail. If while sculpting he/she already give shape to the nail, your stylist won't need to do much to get the right shape. At this point i only buff to get any sharp ends and give shine.

Drilling to shape:
This should not hurt nurn or feel unconfortable.. if it does do tell!
cause the son of bitch is filling on the same spot to long!.
Thsi should not be done by somebody who is not tained to use a drill. Period!

Going back to the salon
Depending on how fast your nails grow, you should go back after 2 or 3 weeks to fill the place where the nails has grown. gain you both wash your hands!. Your stylist again removes any polish, files the nail in form or file to shorten.. and ap'plys the product to make the product look pretty. No, you are not supose to remove all the stuff from your last visite to make a new nail!
th_rolleye0014.gif

Talk to your stylist!
I don't know how things work in other country's but i like to tak to my client and know a bit about them before i apply anything. I want to know if your work in the jard (dirth), what sports you practice, if you have your ands in water every day and so on. Why? cause's best to do... bla bla bla talk talk talk! lol
lol.gif
soapbox.gif

I think this was way more than two cents lol!
lmao.gif
.. sorry for the long chat ladies
cutey.gif

* but i hope this helps sweeties!
wavey.gif

bellaetoile

thank you SO much, macvirgin. that was really helpful to me, and your english was fine. thanks for taking the time to explain everything, you did better than any of my nail techs ever have done with explanations
smiles.gif

Vixen

Yep, as others have said, your real nails do get damaged after having them on.
I also have the problem of picking off nail polish BUT it's because I hate any types of polish chips in my nails. Usually I pick at my polish when I'm nowhere near nail polish remover.
My problem when I had fake nails (I've had them on and off since I was 16 but mostly off), is that I would also pick at the fake nails.
The oil from your nails could cause the fake nail to lift, and when my nail begins lifting, it bothers me as much as chipped nail polish - so I will begin picking at it.
I had to get so many new sets put on because of my bad habit of picking at my nails.
So I'm not sure if getting fake nails will solve your nail polish picking problem.

Opps, forgot to say though that when you first get them done, they look gorgeous.
They just don't look so hot when they begin growing out and then you have to deal w/ your natural nail struggling to grow back.

MacVirgin

No...... they do not get damaged by having them done
th_rolleye0014.gif
..... pulling and picking them that's where some of the damage comes from...... and some of the things i explained earlyer.

I realy don't mean to be rude you guys... but one simple thing to do is go regularly to your stylist and have them done. Here are some do's and don'ts.

Dont's
  • pick or pull your nails!
  • You feel something is loose or sharp/pointy and bothers you? Go get that fix! simple as that.
  • don't want to? think it's to expensive? well hmmm.. let your stylist take those off... get a manicure and don't get acrylics or any type of nail extensions! thank you very much!
    greengrin.gif
  • don't use them as tools man!... get a key or something to open that can of coke! think of them as jewels
    graucho.gif
  • don't cut the nails you! file those baby's
  • don't file like a maniac! ask your stylist to show you how to do it so you can keep those baby pretty
  • Don't need to have a set totaly taken off at every visite. (your stylist will fill in the gap where the nail has grown)
  • don't think cause you have had your nails done often that you know what's up
    lol.gif
    ... or better than a stylist
    th_rolleye0014.gif
  • don't come to late on your apointment *sorry had to throw that in here lol
Do's
  • Do go to your stylist after 2 or 3 weeks depending on how fast they grow. If you have some breackage or anything loose... GO!
    lol.gif
  • Do oil those baby's to keep things nice and flexible.. it's also good for your cutticles and your natural nails *yes even under the product*
  • use a basecoat before you use any color of nail polish
  • do ask questions

I will come up with more do's and dont's ladies. I need some cofee first
NeedCoffee.gif

MacVirgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaetoile
thank you SO much, macvirgin. that was really helpful to me, and your english was fine. thanks for taking the time to explain everything, you did better than any of my nail techs ever have done with explanations
smiles.gif

aww thanks hun! i'm glad i explained it in some sort of good inglish lol
lol.gif
.... nails are my love to and i hate the fact that many good for nothing ladies whocall themself stylist give nails a bad name
th_remoteImage-61.gif
. They do a poor job and need to put that brush down lol.

I've been a nailtech for many years now, and love it even more than the first time i started. Liek with mu, everyday you learn something new.
smiles.gif

saraa_b

Thank you MacVirgin!

you're amazing at explaining things
smiles.gif

I'm getting my nails done tomorrow for the first time
cheerleader.gif

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraa_b
Thank you MacVirgin!

smiles.gif

cheerleader.gif

hahaha i told u.... she is Hard Core when it comes to this hehe
clap.gif

MacVirgin

Quote:
could the gel nails be damaged if you use a tanning bed??

just apply a coat some basecoat and a layer of uv topcoap on your nails. Some proucts can become jellowish while tanning. Ask your stylist if this ever happend to her clients.

She's not gonna tel you the name of the product she's using, so i might not be abble to give you straight answer if i don't know which nailproduct she use
ssad.gif

MacVirgin

Quote:
Thank you MacVirgin!

smiles.gif

cheerleader.gif

ohh congrats! i hope it's everything you expect it to be!
cheerleader.gif

NikkiHorror

Thanks for your help, you know you can't ask the ladies that are doing your nails anything.

I got a clear gel overlay with a french manicure style except I had them paint the tips red
smiles.gif
smiles.gif
smiles.gif

So get a fill 2-3 times and then get a whole new set! Awesome, you guys rock!

MiCHiE

If it's really gel, it won't yellow. Gel is not porous like Liquid and Powder acrylic, so if it yellows, it is NOT straight gel.

Jacq-i

I know this is an old thread, but I found it after searching. I found it very informative!

I am hoping to get gels done sometime this week, if I have the time.
greengrin.gif

elektra513

I love my gel nails! I just get the UV gel. I go to this one woman every 3-4 wks. I tried going to someone cheaper and closer to my house, but they always try to make me get the powder gel, b/c the uv gel has a different (and I guess more complicated/focused:confused: ) technique. I can always tell the lazy techs from the real pros when I come in as ask for uv gel. If they try to suggest powder, I walk. So now I'm back to my regular tech, who always takes care of me
thmbup.gif

juicydiva

I've had gel nails before..but in my opinion they are not as strong as acrylic nails..So i've tried them too and acrylic nails work better for me. Although gel is better for your nails, i think acrylic nails are stronger.

girl507

gels are better, they last longer and are not as thick and do not cause as much damage to the nail as acrylic because it is a lighter plastic than acrylic. however, gel is costlier. Beware, a lot of places have started ripping people off and telling them they're doing acrylics instead of gels and charging you for the price of gels. Gels are done by using a paste, acrylics are done with powder. That is how you know the difference and whether you are being ripped off.

girl507

gels are better, they last longer and are not as thick and do not cause as much damage to the nail as acrylic because it is a lighter plastic than acrylic. however, gel is costlier. Beware, a lot of places have started ripping people off and telling them they're doing acrylics instead of gels and charging you for the price of gels. Gels are done by using a paste, acrylics are done with powder. That is how you know the difference and whether you are being ripped off.