Gel or Acrylic Nails?

NatalieMT

Yeah sure here's a couple of pictures, sorry they're not great were taken with a camera phone!

Done with one coat of clear bio sculpture gel, set, then the white tip with the bio sculpture gel, set and then another coat of clear and set. There's also a clear top coat on there too it's the one made my bio sculpture. Apparently it helps stop discolouration inbetween appointments for infills and I redo it like 2/3 times a week. Then when I get them infilled they will reshape the nail, refresh the white aswell as put another clear gel coat on.

Dsc00219.jpg

Dsc00220.jpg

ClareBear86

im a bit late on posting my pics lol

but hay... ive always had acylics and i love them.. but yours look so damn good natalie!!!!

here some pics of mine through the years....

i didnt think to take a pic when i first had them done but this was one of my faves
DSC00366.jpg

valentines day last year
DSC00371.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

but... heres what happened when i went to a different salon cause mine was closed... i ripped about 5 off cause they had lifted and i catch my nails all the time...

DSC00079.jpg

check my bruise
ssad.gif

TamiChoi

I always had my nails done at the nail salon.
And my cousin actually does nails...
I had both acrylic and gel.
I learned that Gel is said to be better because it doesn't turn yellow, looks natural, and lasts longer.
Both are good and both have their differences.
IMO I still like gel better, you get what you pay for.

Pros of Acrylic Nails
If you break an acrylic nail you can almost always fix it temporarily and rather easily yourself.
The removal process is simple and straightforward if done by a professional. The nails can be soaked rather than filed off.
Acrylics are very strong. When done correctly and good nail care is practiced, they can last a long time. They’re robust!

Pros of Gel Nails
Gel nails often look more natural and glossy than other types of cosmetic nails.
The curing time is faster than acrylics, sometimes clocking in at just two minutes when light-curing is done.
Gel nail mixtures are odorless.
There is less filing involved during the application process.

Cons of Acrylic Nails
They can damage your real nails in a harsher manner than gel nails can.
Acrylics can look fake instead of natural and they can look even worse when done incorrectly.
It can be hard to grow out acrylic nails.

Cons of Gel Nails
They don’t last as long and are less durable than acrylic, even though they tend to cost more.
Gel nails are harder to do yourself if you like to do home manicures.
It’s been noted that nail polish won’t stick to the gel finish as well as it does to an acrylic finish.
If a gel nail breaks, you may be in for some trouble. It can sometimes be more of a shatter effect than a clean break, so self-fixing a break is not usually an option. You’ll need to make an appointment right away with your manicurist. Sometimes they do break cleanly; basic nail glue could be used in that case.
Gel nails almost always need to be filed off. You can’t just soak them away.

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMT
Yeah sure here's a couple of pictures, sorry they're not great were taken with a camera phone!

Done with one coat of clear bio sculpture gel, set, then the white tip with the bio sculpture gel, set and then another coat of clear and set. There's also a clear top coat on there too it's the one made my bio sculpture. Apparently it helps stop discolouration inbetween appointments for infills and I redo it like 2/3 times a week. Then when I get them infilled they will reshape the nail, refresh the white aswell as put another clear gel coat on.

Dsc00219.jpg

Dsc00220.jpg

Little bit late posting but they have done a great job on you, you've found a good technician that knows what's she doing.

pr317

I have the biosculpture gel nails and love them so far!!!!! I like that they aren't supposed to weaken my real nails, they just enhance them and make them stronger. Here's a picture right after I got them done. Next time I'm going to ask for a wider white tip. It's been about a week and the growing out line is barely visible, and no chipping or breaking at all.
IMG_2951.jpg

elongreach

I have natural gel nails. Which means I just have the gel over my nails and they look really good imo. I don't have long nails and I don't like a lot of designs. I mainly got it done to have my nail polish stay on for two weeks at a time. So they serve a purpose and look like I just had a manicure.

002-3.jpg

kittykit

I used to have gel nails for a year. I had the gel over my natural nails, it made them strong (my nails are weak!) and I liked the glossy looks.

NatalieMT

I actually stopped getting my gels end of April! I miss them! It was getting quite expensive and with me having to find a new job (redundant as of June 30th) I had to cut back a little bit.

I bought a few OPI polishes and maintain my nails myself at the moment. I'd definitely get the gels back on when I can afford to make the commitment again, they looked lovely for such a long time and it meant I didn't have to worry when I went out that I didn't look groomed. I love the toes aswell pr317 - so cute! My toes are so ridged, not sure if it would help with that?

smile22

i live in the central ct area and cannot find a good nail tech to do my nails at one time i wanted and still do 3d nail art i didnt think it would be that expensive but it is. the only places i find are run by asian's no offence they do a good job but sometimes they over charge like ill want a design on my nails and i found this place near me that does amazing designs as well as 3d but she wanted $5 per nail the only way i can get a design for $10 total for 10 nails is if they free draw something. sometimes ill have them paint on a colored tip but then they also want $5.00 more i mean polish comes with a full set/fill but to paint less polish is extra.
does anyone who lives in ct in the central ct area can recommend a good person who does nails, they have to be affordable and they also have to have cutting edge designs and nail art such as 3d. where i get my hair done they do all kinds of nail stuff but they want 60 for a set of acyrlics and dont do any designs

Jadison

i like gel nails , because i can do it at home and save me a lot fo money , and easy to remove, moreover, only i need is a Uv lamp or a LED LAMP then my nails can become shiny with cnd or gel polish......and i have been bought a USpicy UV LAMP from amazon , it only tooks 25 USD......REALLY CHEAP FOR ME.
i think it is fun to cure and design nails at home with friends at weekends

see what i did last yesterday.

Jadison

i like gel nails , because i can do it at home and save me a lot fo money , and easy to remove, moreover, only i need is a Uv lamp or a LED LAMP then my nails can become shiny with cnd or gel polish......and i have been bought a USpicy UV LAMP from amazon , it only tooks 25 USD......REALLY CHEAP FOR ME.
i think it is fun to cure and design nails at home with friends at weekends

UberMACGeek

I actually get the clear acrylic nails usually...but then I get the shellac gel polish on top of the acrylic, so I can still have that shiny, longlasting look for a more reasonable price....the only time I do get gel nails is when I'm wearing my real nails....

dyingforyou

i prefer acrylics because they generally last a really long time on me and they never break/chip/etc. i've taken them off myself without acetone or going back to the salon and my nails have never been damaged. i dunno i like the 'fake nail' look too haha. but usually since my nails are long[er] than i've generally kept them before, i just put white on the tips then a top coat
tong.gif

staarr219

Personally i like acrylic myself so that i can do crazy things with my nails seasonally. If a salon does them correctly with acrylic that is legal it will cost a bit extra but hey... you pay for quality. I have sensitive skin so i had swollen fingers for a few days after with the dangerous stuff. But now i found a new salon that uses the safe stuff and are awesome techs.
1299760f_1354927291423.jpeg