Gel or Acrylic Nails?

blindpassion

Its really important for people to remember that theres a few different kinds of nails, and they should research them before getting them

theres
a: acrylics
b: gels
c: acrylics with a gel top coat

many people mistake acrylics with a gel top coat for being actual gel nails, they aren't, they just have a gel coating put on as the last step to give them that look.

static_universe

I kind of have the same question. I don't even bother painting my nails anymore cause I go into work and 20 minutes later, they're all chipped. I've been thinking about getting fake nails but I'm afraid the polish will still chip off of the acrylics. But it looks like the gel is already colored, so that wouldn't happen? Can someone tell me if I'm thinking this right?

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_universe
I kind of have the same question. I don't even bother painting my nails anymore cause I go into work and 20 minutes later, they're all chipped. I've been thinking about getting fake nails but I'm afraid the polish will still chip off of the acrylics. But it looks like the gel is already colored, so that wouldn't happen? Can someone tell me if I'm thinking this right?

Hey love, okay I'll help you out with figuring this one out

I have acrylics, heres a pic...

nailsforspecktra.jpg

My acrylics are NOT airbrushed, this means that the pink color you see there, is actual acrylic powder, hardened to form a nail. My nail technitian has like, 100 different colored acrylic powders and I can choose, and she creates my nails with them. There is no nailpolish used. When nailpolished is used to create color on a nail (either an acrylic nail or a gel nail) it's called Airbrushing. Airbrushing WILL chip, since it's only a nailpolish coat ontop of a fake nail.

So I have acrylic nails with no airbrushing, they are made with powder that is colored
smiles.gif
I am not sure if you can do this with gels, I assume you can but I've never seen it done, maybe not since the gel is a gel and not a powder.
But someone else will have to addresss the gel side of things, Ive had acrylics for a year, I had gels once and I got them removed by an acrylic nail tech because imo they were horrible.

And obviously I have pretty out there, intense nails, if you just wanted white tips they just use a white powdered acrylic
smiles.gif

static_universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
Hey love, okay I'll help you out with figuring this one out

I have acrylics, heres a pic...

nailsforspecktra.jpg

My acrylics are NOT airbrushed, this means that the pink color you see there, is actual acrylic powder, hardened to form a nail. My nail technitian has like, 100 different colored acrylic powders and I can choose, and she creates my nails with them. There is no nailpolish used. When nailpolished is used to create color on a nail (either an acrylic nail or a gel nail) it's called Airbrushing. Airbrushing WILL chip, since it's only a nailpolish coat ontop of a fake nail.

So I have acrylic nails with no airbrushing, they are made with powder that is colored
smiles.gif
I am not sure if you can do this with gels, I assume you can but I've never seen it done, maybe not since the gel is a gel and not a powder.
But someone else will have to addresss the gel side of things, Ive had acrylics for a year, I had gels once and I got them removed by an acrylic nail tech because imo they were horrible.

And obviously I have pretty out there, intense nails, if you just wanted white tips they just use a white powdered acrylic
smiles.gif

Ohhh thank you! One more question. I just want the color though, not the length. Acrylics (or gel, which ever) still the way to go?

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_universe
Ohhh thank you! One more question. I just want the color though, not the length. Acrylics (or gel, which ever) still the way to go?

Definitely! you can have them are short as you want, my mom has them really short, I just love the flashy nails so I keep them long
cutey.gif

macchristyy

i like gel imo.

they look more natural and they dont crack on me..

it does also depend because some of my friends have had gel nails turn yellow on them..yuck. but then again ive known many people and myself who have not had any problems with that and they stay looking the same way i got them the first day.

so just try out the two and see which one you prefer =)

CherryPopsicle

I like the hot pink sparkley tips you have, blindpassion. Very cute. Looks like you need a fill though :p

The place I go does nails different than what you've said. They always apply a fake nail then put the clear acrylic over it. And if you want white tips they have fake nails with white tips which they put the clear acrylic over. And here airbrushing means getting a design or getting the tips white or whatever color they want from a machine, not just getting your nails/acrylics painted with nailpolish.

I've never had gel nails but I love acrylics. I don't have them on my nails at the moment but I wish I did. The place I go costs $30 for a full set ( white tips/french is extra )and $16 and up for fills. I don't like them too long, I hate the look. And they are alwys square with a rounded tip. <3

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPopsicle
I like the hot pink sparkley tips you have, blindpassion. Very cute. Looks like you need a fill though :p

The place I go does nails different than what you've said. They always apply a fake nail then put the clear acrylic over it. And if you want white tips they have fake nails with white tips which they put the clear acrylic over. And here airbrushing means getting a design or getting the tips white or whatever color they want from a machine, not just getting your nails/acrylics painted with nailpolish.

I've never had gel nails but I love acrylics. I don't have them on my nails at the moment but I wish I did. The place I go costs $30 for a full set ( white tips/french is extra )and $16 and up for fills. I don't like them too long, I hate the look. And they are alwys square with a rounded tip. <3

I get my nails filled every month, I dont need to go more then that its a waste of money imo.

You're right about the design, I was trying to help her understand the general idea of airbrushing and also to make her aware of the fact that because the design or color is a polished top coat it can and probably will chip if you're not super careful with them. As far as mine go since they are through and through solid colored acrylic I never have to worry about chipping off the top. Ive left them as long as 6 weeks without getting the top layer of acrylic redone, and the color looks as good as the day it was set.

I've never heard of getting a fake nail with acrylic on top, I would be skeptical of that due to the fact that fake nails tend to fall off or lift at the edges, as opposed to a material thats hardened on top of your actual nail. But I'm glad they work for you.

CherryPopsicle

Yup, at my place they glue on a "tip" to make the nail long. It's not a full fake nail but it just goes on the tip to make the nail longer. They then clip them down to the length you want. Then apply the acrylic powder and do the nail.

It's so fun watching them use the acrylic powder. Hahahaha.

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli
I had bio sculpture nails done from nails inc for my 21st and it looked like someone had just slapped on 10 layers of nail polish by the end of the night they were peeling

I had arcylics done last year but really regretted them as I later found out that using drills really isnt the best way but arcylics are what i would go for as they do look nice and last longer! i need to find a good salon who wont attack my nails with drills!

May I ask if you had them done at the House of Fraser or Debenhams store in birmingham and how long ago?

It really should not have looked thick and it should not have peeled that easily you should have mentioned it to the technician who did you and she would have been happy to help.

stacylynne

Just so you know. Anything you put on top of your nails such as: acrylics, gels, fiberglass, silkwraps. Will weaken your nails. Gels don't soak off either, They have to be filed off. I use Nailteack (or however you spell it, lol) Give yourself or get a mani 1-2x a week.
I have some friends of mine that take pre-natel vit. to make their hair & nails grow.
Me, I don't have that prob. I have to cut down my nails ever 2-3 weeks or they get way too long

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
Just so you know. Anything you put on top of your nails such as: acrylics, gels, fiberglass, silkwraps. Will weaken your nails. Gels don't soak off either, They have to be filed off. I use Nailteack (or however you spell it, lol) Give yourself or get a mani 1-2x a week.
I have some friends of mine that take pre-natel vit. to make their hair & nails grow.
Me, I don't have that prob. I have to cut down my nails ever 2-3 weeks or they get way too long

I'd disagree, but only from personal experience. The whole idea of "things on your nails makes them weak" sounds most likely correct. But its good to remember that there are a lot of myths surrounding false nails. I have had acrylics for over 13 months straight without being taken off, and the only time (which happened to be last month), I bit my nail and the acrylic chipped right off, the nail underneath was just as strong as the day I put the acrylics on a year ago. It was interesting to see, I left it acrylic-less until my fill (I didnt get it repaired) just to see the state of the nail over the next weeks, and it was perfect. I could just have overly tough nails, it would definitely make sense that false nails would weaken your natural nails, but from personal experience on myself I'd disagree. I think its another one of those "depends on the person" type thing.

Hikaru-chan

I find when I have my nails done (I've had acrylics and gels) my nail seems to be a little weaker than before I started but not to the extent that some people seem to complain about.
You need to remember that you've gotten used to your nails being super hard so when the extensions come off they will automatically feel weaker and you have to reajust to your nails being different.
I find after a week or so after having them off my natural nails feel like normal.
If done properly you should get little to no damage.

Lalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru-chan
May I ask if you had them done at the House of Fraser or Debenhams store in birmingham and how long ago?

It really should not have looked thick and it should not have peeled that easily you should have mentioned it to the technician who did you and she would have been happy to help.

I had them done at Nails Inc in Leicester but my sister had hers done in Debenhams in birmingham and she wasnt to happy with the results either. I wanted to get a set of acrylics done but im a bit wary as I dont want to spend £50 and for them not to be done properly

NatalieMT

Finally got an appointment! I'm getting gel overlays tomorrow, after deciding I didn't need to get sculpted extensions. I had a lengthy discussion with a salon I found that does them and seems very professional and seems to know what they're doing. It's costing me £25/$50 for the set and takes an hour.

lexiesupagirl

I had both gel and acrylic nails.
i liked the gel ones better- they looked much more natural.
BUT acrylic ones did less damage to my natural nails.

NatalieMT

So I got my gels today. They were Bio Sculpture Gel overlays, which I've been told are good for tha nails. I'm very happy with the result anyways. I got them with the french tips and they looks really good and very natural too. They feel really hard aswell so hopefully they will wear well, as I'm planning on keeping them for a long while. Have an appointment for 2 weeks for infills and for them to judge how often I need to get infills after that, depending on how fast my nails are growing.

Lalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMT
So I got my gels today. They were Bio Sculpture Gel overlays, which I've been told are good for tha nails. I'm very happy with the result anyways. I got them with the french tips and they looks really good and very natural too. They feel really hard aswell so hopefully they will wear well, as I'm planning on keeping them for a long while. Have an appointment for 2 weeks for infills and for them to judge how often I need to get infills after that, depending on how fast my nails are growing.

could you possibly post a pic of ur nails? i wana see how your gels came out! xx