get the basics...new to makeup help

vuittongirl

Hi everyone! Ok, so I haven't really got into makeup into just recently when I ended up with several bad months of acne due to pregnancy. The acnes now gone but some scars are still there, so I decided I'd like invest in some good quality makeup because the drugstore brands just aren't cutting it.
My husband noticed how I was feeling about my look and decided to give me $500 to spend on product.

Ive heard nothing but good things from M.A.C so I've decided to start there.

So far in my cart I have
face: Concealor (studio fix), stuido fix fluid, studio fix power plus foundation, prep + prime sff50, full coverage foundation, blot powder.

black track fluidline
187 brush

eyeshadows: woodwinked, goldmine, beauty marked, humid, expensive pink, swimming, amber lights, bronze, beautiful iris.

lipglass: Lychee Luxe, Viva Glam V, Nymphette, Rich & Ripe, Bateaux.

lipstick: Taupe, Brick-O-La, (im still loooking for a good red colored one)

blush:Sweet As Cocoa, Peachtwis, Trace Gold

is there anything obvious im forgetting (im an oily skinned , nc44, 29yr old girl that likes a "done" look), since i probably wont be making another purchase till around christmas?

i already have some brushes that ill replace eventually, i have mascara for now as well.

also,, how long does your studio fix fluid usually last you?

RaynelleM

What a sweet hubby!! Looks like you made a great start ... love your eyeshadow picks!
The only thing I can think of that you may be missing, if you even use them, is lip pencils and something for your brows.

LatinaRose

I would consider another brand for foundation. Studio Fix is known to break some people out, me included. I'm also have rather oily skin. It sometimes oxidizes (turns orange-y) as well, it did on me. I use Make Up For Ever (MUFE for short on here) Face & Body. I also want to try their High Definition foundation and powder b/c everyone is raving what a flawless appearance it gives. I also want to try Estee Lauder Double Wear and DW light b/c people with oily skin seem to be happy with its appearance and how long lasting it is.

Do you live near a department store, MAC store, or Sephora? I would get samples of foundations and try them first, esp b/c you are new to makeup. Foundation is really really hard to get right online unless you know what you need.

Oh and I would skip MAC's Prep + Prime. Maybe consider MUFE's All Matte or when that is better for stopping shine. I don't really like primer, but have been wanting to try that one. Hopefully other girls will have more suggestions for you on that.

Don't forget a brush to use w/ Fluidline. I like the 263 angled brush.

I would consider getting a pinky blush like Dollymix for some more variety. It looks a bit scary, but looks so beautiful on.

Oh, and what a great husband you have!!

jenavii

Well, as much as i do LOVE MAC. Their foundations make me break out BAD. I don't have oily skin, and I dont usualy EVER break out. But when I use my MAC foundation for a couple of days in a row, I break out big time. So.. dont know if you've tried it before, but get some samples first..

Don't get me wrong, I still use it, but only when im going out at night, or somewhere that I need extra coverage. For everday MU I use Clinque.

jenavii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaRose
I would consider another brand for foundation. Studio Fix is known to break some people out, me included. I'm also have rather oily skin. It sometimes oxidizes (turns orange-y) as well, it did on me. I use Make Up For Ever (MUFE for short on here) Face & Body. I also want to try their High Definition foundation and powder b/c everyone is raving what a flawless appearance it gives. I also want to try Estee Lauder Double Wear and DW light b/c people with oily skin seem to be happy with its appearance and how long lasting it is.

Do you live near a department store, MAC store, or Sephora? I would get samples of foundations and try them first, esp b/c you are new to makeup. Foundation is really really hard to get right online unless you know what you need.

Oh and I would skip MAC's Prep + Prime. Maybe consider MUFE's All Matte or when that is better for stopping shine. I don't really like primer, but have been wanting to try that one. Hopefully other girls will have more suggestions for you on that.

I would consider getting a pinky blush like Dollymix for some more variety. It looks a bit scary, but goes on so beautifully.

Oh, and what a great husband you have!!

Ah, I couldn't agree with her more!!
thmbup.gif

Kiss and Makeup

Something you may want to invest in is a finishing powder (MAC has one but I prefer MUFE's HD Powder) and Fix+ from MAC. This helps set your makeup and helps keep it on.

I'd also recommend Vanilla pigment. Pigments are MAC's
I completely agree about Dollymix! I'm an NC15 (read: really pale) and this color is really pretty. It's bright pink in the pot but goes on really light.

I'd also recommend MAC's Vanilla pigment. Pigments are MAC's version of loose eyeshadow. Vanilla's white, but it has a warmth to it, and it's great for highlighting eyes/cheeks. Another good eyeshadow is Satin Taupe. It's a really pretty color (it's a cooler brown) that looks good on practically everyone and looks good with a lot of the colors you've already picked out. Yay for picking out Goldmine... that's one of my favorite eyeshadows, and it's completely underrated.

Painterly paintpot is something else..it's a tinted (barely) eyeshadow base that helps eyeshadows stay on longer.

nursee81

May be some of the kits from the holiday collection. Its a great way to get multiple e/s, pigments, liner and L/S for a good price.

Mizz Coco Lust

i would add dollymix to ur blush list 4 a pink, then u'd have a perfect selection,peach,brown,pink,gold highlight.

and i'd add a light highlight to ur eyeshadows. ricepaper or nylon!
smiles.gif

and i'dd add pink lemonade lipglass + lovelorn lipstick for the best pink lip.

Nadeshda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
May be some of the kits from the holiday collection. Its a great way to get multiple e/s, pigments, liner and L/S for a good price.

I completely agree with this. Some items are coming out in October, and others are coming out in early November, if I'm not mistaken. I think it's worth waiting a bit, there are sets with mini pigments, lipglasses and eyeliners, it's way cheaper than buying them seperatly. There are also travel-size brush sets, sets with lipstick and lipgloss, lipstick and eyeshadow palettes. So worth it if you're starting out! As others mentioned, also look into another foundation instead of Studio Fix, that's not really the best if your skin already is acne-prone. Another member here mentioned Fix+, but I don't feel it's a must-have... I don't have it, and I just use regular thermal water instead, when I want to apply mineral makeup wet or remove the powdery look.

flymestza

What a nice hubby. I agree with the majority and am not a big fan of MAC foundations. I do love the shadows though and you may want to add Satin Taupe to your collection. I also love paint pots. Bare study is a good one to start with. You may also want to invest in Urban Decay primer potion or Too Face shadow insurance since you have oily skin. My eyelids tend to get a little oily and those really keep my shadows on all day and all night!

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuittongirl
Hi everyone! Ok, so I haven't really got into makeup into just recently when I ended up with several bad months of acne due to pregnancy. The acnes now gone but some scars are still there, so I decided I'd like invest in some good quality makeup because the drugstore brands just aren't cutting it.
My husband noticed how I was feeling about my look and decided to give me $500 to spend on product.

Ive heard nothing but good things from M.A.C so I've decided to start there.

So far in my cart I have
face: Concealor (studio fix), stuido fix fluid, studio fix power plus foundation, prep + prime sff50, full coverage foundation, blot powder.

black track fluidline
187 brush

eyeshadows: woodwinked, goldmine, beauty marked, humid, expensive pink, swimming, amber lights, bronze, beautiful iris.

lipglass: Lychee Luxe, Viva Glam V, Nymphette, Rich & Ripe, Bateaux.

lipstick: Taupe, Brick-O-La, (im still loooking for a good red colored one)

blush:Sweet As Cocoa, Peachtwis, Trace Gold

is there anything obvious im forgetting (im an oily skinned , nc44, 29yr old girl that likes a "done" look), since i probably wont be making another purchase till around christmas?

If I were you I'd head to the nearest MAC counter! They can give you some concealer and foundation samples that you can try to make sure you don't get a reaction. I'm an NC 50 with acne prone oily skin. I use studio Fix pressed with pressed blot powder in dark. The Blot powder is great for oily girls.
[stuido fix fluid, studio fix power plus foundation, full coverage foundation] Girl .. pick one eithr the fix fluid or one of the other coverage foundations and I haven't seen much a a difference that prep and prime made for me. As long as I have my blot powder and my pressed fix i'm usually good.

As far as the make-up I'd browse the Face of the Day and Tutorials sections as well as YOUTUBE!!!!!!
Find some looks you'd like to repeat and specifically look for faces you can wear everyday.

Good luck!

vuittongirl

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had a MAC counter near me but the closest mac counter is over 2 hours away, it would cost me almost $200 in gas just to go there an back, lol. I figure I may as well use that 200 and get a couple of the foundations I think may work for me online and try those out.

I was really looking forward to trying MAC foundations because most everything else I've tried has made me look like I belong to the undead. (drugstore brands. estee lauder double wear are all to grey/pink for me)
But the possibility of more breakouts scare me. So I'll def look into the Makeup Forever brands as well, thanks
smiles.gif

Thanks for reminding me about my brows, I'm going to pick up a brow set as well
smiles.gif

Oh and I'm looking foward to the red she said collection, those brushes look great as well, I'm guessing they aren't as high in quality as the reg MAC brushes, but it'll make a good starter set.

vuittongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaRose

I would consider getting a pinky blush like Dollymix for some more variety. It looks a bit scary, but looks so beautiful on.

ive just added them, thanks,
smiles.gif

vuittongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss and Makeup

I'd also recommend MAC's Vanilla pigment. Pigments are MAC's version of loose eyeshadow. Vanilla's white, but it has a warmth to it, and it's great for highlighting eyes/cheeks..

I wouldn't even know where to begin with white eyeshadow or how to hilite properly. I'm still learning
ssad.gif
. I've been glued to the FOTD threads though so maybe / hopefully
yes.gif
ill figure it out.

enjoybeingagirl

I think you need satin taupe eye shadow, sumptuous olive eyeshadow, and rice paper eye shadow. Satin taupe is a lovely neutral that looks good on everyone. Sumptuous olive is a pretty golden olive green. Rice paper is a light peachy/gold highlight shade. Just blend it on your brow bone and inner corner of your eyes to make your eyes appear brighter and more awake
smiles.gif

I would also replace beauty marked with a matte2 eye shadow like signed, sealed, graphology, or typographic because they blend beautifully. I don't have beauty marked because I read bad things about it here on Specktra.

meaghanb2926

Do you have a picture you could post so we could see your hair and eye color so that we could make better recommendations suited to you?

hawaii02

Ricepaper is my favorite highlight
smiles.gif
The 217 brush is also a highly recommended brush for the crease.