Getting Certified

BunnyBunnyBunny

Okay so for the past few weeks my manager has been telling me that she and the regional trainer want to get me certified. I have been DREADING this because whenever like... an authority figure watches me apply makeup I get nervous and stumble when speaking and stuff, and I feel self concious when people watch me apply lashes. I also feel weird applying lashes still... I am just SO scared, I want to puke. I am really really good at applying makeup, and I absolutely love my job. But when people that are higher up than me listen to what I say and watch me apply I get scared and don't do as well as I should...

So can you guys that are certified or have tried to get certified give me some tips? I am like... so scared right now. The reg. Manager is coming on Saturday. =/

Juneplum

i'm not certified, nor do i work for MAC but i just wanna say YOU GO BOY!!!! i KNOW you can do it. you are EXTREMELY talented and this situation is mind over matter. just imagine them as your best friends watching you instead of regionals and you will sail right thru it!!
th_worship.gif

MisStarrlight

Just treat your certification like a regular makeup application. Don't stress it. It's really no big deal.

If you're getting ready for certification, by now, you should be treating every makeover like it is your certification. Make sure you talk through the whole thing. Mix in personal talk w/ talk about makeup (but make sure it's a good balance). FABCE like crazy, but make it part of the conversation.

And if for some reason you don't pass, don't stress it. A good majority of people don't pass on the first time around. Just make sure to take notes when they critique & fix all that stuff the next time around.

Good luck!

CaraAmericana

I'm sorry, can someone explain or refer me to a thread where I can find out what being certifiy would mean in MAC world? =)

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Just treat your certification like a regular makeup application. Don't stress it. It's really no big deal.

If you're getting ready for certification, by now, you should be treating every makeover like it is your certification. Make sure you talk through the whole thing. Mix in personal talk w/ talk about makeup (but make sure it's a good balance). FABCE like crazy, but make it part of the conversation.

And if for some reason you don't pass, don't stress it. A good majority of people don't pass on the first time around. Just make sure to take notes when they critique & fix all that stuff the next time around.

Good luck!

2nd. And try to pretend that they are not there...you can do it!
yes.gif

calbear

small tips -
keep it moving ie watch your time
don't try to use 50-11 brushes - minimize
keep your area neat -
sanitize propely
think it thru in your head what u are planning to use (so u can talk about the prods with ease)

keep your cool - have confidence

MisStarrlight

Adding to what Calbear said...

Don't do anything super complicated...keep it to 3 colors on eyes, 3 lip, etc...when it comes down to it, they are not looking for phenomenal makeup skills. They want to know that you can do a face properly & talk about the products & basically exude MAC & satisfy your customer.

And to CaraAmericana, certification is basically a MAC test in which you do a face of makeup in a given time while a trainer is watching you. You have to meet certain criteria to show that you have the basic skills required of a MAC artist.

erine1881

are you getting certified in phd or application? if it is phd, you don't have to worry about lashes just yet.

i was nervous as hell for both phd and application. when i was done, i was like "why was i so nervous. it wasn't so bad". but once it's over with, you don't have to worry about any more certs, unless you want to go for fashionshow.

do a simple look, like something you would do for a wedding or an everyday business woman look. use products that will go faster, such as powder blush instead of cream, shadow as liner on bottom (or none at all) since you have to use liquid or fluidline on top, studio fix if your model is oily, etc.

do you know who your model is? if so, try a runthru beforehand to get the time down.

make sure you write down brush numbers on the face chart.

don't forget to mention VG, MAC addict, and B2M. i used the classic combo of whirl, and both VG Vs, so that i wouldn't forget to mention VG. i mentioned MAC addict at the end when i closed the sale, saying that we can write everything down that we used so that it was on file, blah blah blah.

like posted above, don't foget to throw in some personal talk. it actually calms you down some too.

let me know if you have any other ?s.

elib067

so i had to check out your myspace of course to look at your pictures and applications. let me just say you have absolutely nothing to worry about. like you said you are an AMAZING makeup artist and since that is your forte, work it! you can do no wrong. all of your neutral-ish and everyday looks would work on anyone!

do your thing and good luck!

BunnyBunnyBunny

Thank you everyone for your tips and encouragement! I have it today... wish me luck!

Erine, it is a full application with the trainer watching everything and listening to everything, including lashes. Ahh! I'm so nervous, but I hope I do stuff well...

makeupgal

I am sure these people will decide you are certified when you are only a quarter of the way into it. When I did mine, I just concentrated mostly on what I was doing and just spoke as I did each thing while putting the people watching completely out of my mind. Please let us know how it went.

BunnyBunnyBunny

Okay, so my trainer watched my entire application. It was exciting, but I was sooooo scared, I sort of wanted to drink all the foundation hahahahaha.

But first he said that he was just going to watch me and observe just to get a feeling for me, and he'd certify me another time. That took some edge off. I introduced myself and the girl said she was going to a wedding and she wanted glowy skin, highlighted cheeks, etc. I investigated and confirmed her needs and just did everything I could! I kept asking her to look in the mirror and make sure she liked everything, and she really loved it all. We really connected, and easily transitioned from small talk to make up talk to small talk. Everytime I stepped away I asked her permission, and when I explained things I made sure to ask her if it all made sense and stuff like that.

When it came to lashes, she decided she didn't want any, so I just said "Sure!" and kept things moving, even though I know he wanted to see me do lashes, I didn't want to convince her or stop the application, so I just went with it. I made sure to mention Back2MAC and MAC Addict, but I had trouble mentioning Viva Glam because she never came to the Lipstick display, and she knew she wanted a matte or satin mauve-y lipstick. I chose Amorous. I also forgot to mention Crueltyfree, and even though I forgot these things and didn't work it into the convo, I made sure to keep things moving.

After the entire application (and her thanking me and loving it and not being able to get away from the mirror) she left and the trainer, my manager, and myself talked in her office. After my trainer telling me that I did a wonderful job explaining and introducing products and brushes, and programs and such, he told me I am certified!!!!!! =DDDDDDD I was so surprised, I asked him if he was kidding!! Haha, he doesn't have any certified jewelry right now, but I'll get it soon. Omg, I'm so relieved and I'm soooo happy!!! Thank you guys SOOOO MUCH for all your input and tips!! =D

urbanlilyfairy

Congrats Bunny ..we all knew you would prevail and get certified ! hehe .. I love all things bunny ..so ur username makes me smile =P