Good colours and textures for small eyes?

Wannabe Junkie

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I'm really struggling with getting my eyes 'right'. I have small, fairly close set eyes and I'm finding anything more than a matt bone colour and eyeliner look awful.

I think the other problem is my age. Any shadows with frost/shimmer just look wrong. It seems virtually impossible to find any eyeshadows that don't have a bit of shimmer though!

Could you recommend any good mattish neutrals for all over the eye? What shaping could I use to open up the eyes? Am I right to avoid shimmer or am I just doing it wrong?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice would be much appreciated.

xxManBeaterxx

Anyone rock a shimmery eyeshadow! You could try to apply a shimmery eyeshadow such as naked launch all over the lid and then a matte eyeshadow to define the crease and add more depth.

My favorite completely matte/neural look. Is brule all over the lid, then i apply soft brown eyeshadow as a midtone crease, and then i go over soft brown with a darker eyeshadow such as handwritten or espresso and then i use mylar as a highlight. These are all mac colors.

My favorite mac mattes/satins would have to be...
-Soft brown
-Brule
-Mylar
-Espresso
-Handwritten
-Wedge or Cork
-Omega
-Grain

My favorite shimmery (but not overly) shadows
-Vanilla
-Satin Taupe
-Dazzlelight
-All that glitters or Naked launch
-Sketch (dark purple but gorgeous)
-sable
-Humid (green)

I think most importantly... is to keep practicing and try out new things until you find a look that works for you. I learned a lot about makeup (specific to my needs) when i get mini makeovers from the mac girls at my store.

Wannabe Junkie

Thank you so much ManBeater. I had been considering brule (I have been watching loads of pixiwoo tuts on youtube) so it's great to hear you really like it. I shall have a look at your other recs too.

I think you've hit the nail on the head though, I'm not very experienced at application and often think I'm doing it wrong. I think it's time to book a MAC makeover for some help! I'll have to get some practice in whilst the boys are in bed too.

Many thanks for the e/s recommendation kittykit, I'll have a look at those too.

hawaii02

Satin Taupe/Ricepaper is one of my very favorites as well as the matte Copperplate/Vanilla.

cocomia

Hi,

I'm not much of an eyeshadow person but I read somewhere that using shimmery colors on skin will highlight raised/lowered parts of it, which is why shimmery blush isn't exactly recommended for skin with big pores.

Maybe this theory is the same with eye wrinkles? Meaning, if you are able to put more shimmer on the "raised" part of the skin and less on the "lowered" part (wrinkles themselves), then when light hits it, the reflection of light is uneven. But as I've said, it's just my idea
smiles.gif

Maybe you could put the (most) shimmery and light eyeshadow on the inner corners of your eyes make them look set farther apart then work with darker ones on the outer corners?

Sorry I'm not much help but I really hope you find the best shadow for you! I'll also be researching, hopefully I'll be of use somehow haha.
tong.gif

Wannabe Junkie

Thanks hawaii02 for the colour recs and cocomia, yes, that makes a lot of sense. I think I probably could use a light/shimmer in the inner corners to open the eyes up.
thmbup.gif