Got Hired as a Freelance artist for Mac

StacieLaArtista

Hello my beauties,
heart.gif

Let me introduce myself, my name is Stacie and i'm from south Florida, I got hired on the spot on 10/05/2013 & on 10/07/2013 I need all the paper work necessary, the manager (she is so friendly) there told me it will take a few weeks and i probably won't start till the beginning of November,2013. She also told me i'll be getting a number where Mac counters around my area will call me if they need any help.
How does the number work?
eeksign.gif

What i got offered as a freelance makeup artist was unreal, but then again i heard the only way you get hours is if you sell, sell, sell and have to be an outgoing individual a "go getter" which i have no problem with either or.

Does the pay depend on your area? and position?
As freelance your are still eligible to get a pro card?
How long does it take to get a permanent job at Mac? ( i'm asking because i have a day job and i really want to quit it so i can go back to school, the only way i can do that is if i get offered at least a part-time job at Mac.)

What can we freelancers expect on our first day? and is it true we have to go to different counters and introduce are selves so we can get more hours? i'm confused and i really want to make them proud where ever i go.

-Thanks to my new friend Natashia for helping me your the best

Thanks guys!!
love.gif

lenoradgrat

Congrats, girl!! I was just hired this week as a Freelance Artist in the same area!! I would love if someone answered these questions for both of our sakes.

Chrystia

Hello my beauties,
heart.gif

Let me introduce myself, my name is Stacie and i'm from south Florida, I got hired on the spot on 10/05/2013 & on 10/07/2013 I need all the paper work necessary, the manager (she is so friendly) there told me it will take a few weeks and i probably won't start till the beginning of November,2013. She also told me i'll be getting a number where Mac counters around my area will call me if they need any help.
How does the number work?
eeksign.gif

What i got offered as a freelance makeup artist was unreal, but then again i heard the only way you get hours is if you sell, sell, sell and have to be an outgoing individual a "go getter" which i have no problem with either or.

Does the pay depend on your area? and position?
As freelance your are still eligible to get a pro card?
How long does it take to get a permanent job at Mac? ( i'm asking because i have a day job and i really want to quit it so i can go back to school, the only way i can do that is if i get offered at least a part-time job at Mac.)

What can we freelancers expect on our first day? and is it true we have to go to different counters and introduce are selves so we can get more hours? i'm confused and i really want to make them proud where ever i go.

-Thanks to my new friend Natashia for helping me your the best

Thanks guys!!
love.gif
Congrats. Freelance is a really great place to start at MAC. Many permanent employees do start on freelance as well, so make your freelance shifts count if you are wanting a permanent position. Selling is part of the game so definitely make sure to be selling and doing makeup. Every region is different, but in my region we do track freelance sales and they get submitted to upper management. You don't have to be over the top in outgoing personality, but being shy isn't going to make managers remember you. I do recommend stopping in and introducing yourself to the managers at the counters in your area. Its not required, but for me the new freelancers who actually stop in to introduce themselves are the ones I am going to give a chance. Make sure to be dressed black and makeup done. Managers want to be able to visualize you on their counter. Ask for feedback and really use it. MAC is VERY feedback oriented. Don't take it personally, just use the advice to keep improving. The freelancers who take feedback well, sell, and show teamwork are the ones that are going to be looked at for permanent positions. I would also let any managers you work with know that you are interested in permanent so that way if positions open up they will keep you in their list of potential candidates.

The first day is always confusing. It varies by region. In my area we like to have an introductory training to get them acquainted, but I know some regions do not do this. I would go through the website to get some basic product knowledge since training for freelance is limited.

Pay is subject to region. Like any job your experience and position may affect the rate of pay.

Freelancers can get a pro card, but they will still need the required credentials as listed on the site.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me any questions if more surface.

StacieLaArtista

Congrats. Freelance is a really great place to start at MAC. Many permanent employees do start on freelance as well, so make your freelance shifts count if you are wanting a permanent position. Selling is part of the game so definitely make sure to be selling and doing makeup. Every region is different, but in my region we do track freelance sales and they get submitted to upper management. You don't have to be over the top in outgoing personality, but being shy isn't going to make managers remember you. I do recommend stopping in and introducing yourself to the managers at the counters in your area. Its not required, but for me the new freelancers who actually stop in to introduce themselves are the ones I am going to give a chance. Make sure to be dressed black and makeup done. Managers want to be able to visualize you on their counter. Ask for feedback and really use it. MAC is VERY feedback oriented. Don't take it personally, just use the advice to keep improving. The freelancers who take feedback well, sell, and show teamwork are the ones that are going to be looked at for permanent positions. I would also let any managers you work with know that you are interested in permanent so that way if positions open up they will keep you in their list of potential candidates.

The first day is always confusing. It varies by region. In my area we like to have an introductory training to get them acquainted, but I know some regions do not do this. I would go through the website to get some basic product knowledge since training for freelance is limited.

Pay is subject to region. Like any job your experience and position may affect the rate of pay.

Freelancers can get a pro card, but they will still need the required credentials as listed on the site.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me any questions if more surface.
Chrystia, appreciate the feed back! My first day was actually last Saturday 11-8 P.M., when i first got there i introduced myself to the assistant manager she told me this will be a busy day & before she could finished a customer needed help with blush so she told me here's the blush go and show her how to apply it on.
icon_eek.gif
I was so nervous i was sweating bullets but i got threw it and the customer loved how the blush looked on her that she bought it. When i was done i went to the register my manager told me she will show me how to ring customers up next week when it's not that busy, after that she was explaining to me a little bit more about their counter and how they go base on sales, sales is important to them.

Once she finished she told me here's a customer who needs her makeup done
dance.gif
i was again nervous but i finished and was told by my manager i did a good job
eyelove.gif
.after that i told myself " you can do it Stacie you got this" so after that i did 3 more customers makeup & i also learn the register i just hated asking my fellow co-workers to ring the customers up i hated it so i stood & i learn the register myself by the end of the night one of the girls took me back to show & help me how to call in my hours and she told me i did an excellent job on my first day & my sells were awesome! that made my day i was seriously doubting myself the whole time.

The managers booked me this week on Sunday 11-6 PM I was going to work to day 8 hours shift but i couldn't because of my day job 9-5 PM im only available on weekends and holiday's i really want to make this into a career & going to try my best to become a permanent artist.

Question's:

I was suppose to leave at 7 PM but my co-worker told me to stay at the counter for 20 more mins, i didn't mind i was cleaning the brushes and there was a lady sitting in the makeup chair waiting for one of my co-workers to help her she waited waited & waited i asked if i can help her she said it's okay i'm waiting on her. Few minutes have passed and she said "help me i can't wait any longer" so i did and she was a very nice lady everything i used on her face she bought my biggest sell of the night!! was i rude for taking my co-workers customer?
001_unsure.gif
( i just hate seeing customers wait for so long)

My manager said i did good on timing with makeup applications 30 mins, i usually like taking around 50 mins is there really a time limit on makeup application?

I will go counter to counter and introduce myself for sure!!

Thank you again!!!!

Chrystia

Chrystia, appreciate the feed back! My first day was actually last Saturday 11-8 P.M., when i first got there i introduced myself to the assistant manager she told me this will be a busy day & before she could finished a customer needed help with blush so she told me here's the blush go and show her how to apply it on.
icon_eek.gif
I was so nervous i was sweating bullets but i got threw it and the customer loved how the blush looked on her that she bought it. When i was done i went to the register my manager told me she will show me how to ring customers up next week when it's not that busy, after that she was explaining to me a little bit more about their counter and how they go base on sales, sales is important to them.

Once she finished she told me here's a customer who needs her makeup done
dance.gif
i was again nervous but i finished and was told by my manager i did a good job
eyelove.gif
.after that i told myself " you can do it Stacie you got this" so after that i did 3 more customers makeup & i also learn the register i just hated asking my fellow co-workers to ring the customers up i hated it so i stood & i learn the register myself by the end of the night one of the girls took me back to show & help me how to call in my hours and she told me i did an excellent job on my first day & my sells were awesome! that made my day i was seriously doubting myself the whole time.

The managers booked me this week on Sunday 11-6 PM I was going to work to day 8 hours shift but i couldn't because of my day job 9-5 PM im only available on weekends and holiday's i really want to make this into a career & going to try my best to become a permanent artist.

Question's:

I was suppose to leave at 7 PM but my co-worker told me to stay at the counter for 20 more mins, i didn't mind i was cleaning the brushes and there was a lady sitting in the makeup chair waiting for one of my co-workers to help her she waited waited & waited i asked if i can help her she said it's okay i'm waiting on her. Few minutes have passed and she said "help me i can't wait any longer" so i did and she was a very nice lady everything i used on her face she bought my biggest sell of the night!! was i rude for taking my co-workers customer?
001_unsure.gif
( i just hate seeing customers wait for so long)

My manager said i did good on timing with makeup applications 30 mins, i usually like taking around 50 mins is there really a time limit on makeup application?

I will go counter to counter and introduce myself for sure!!

Thank you again!!!!
It sounds like a good first day. Just keep up the confidence in yourself.

As far as the co-workers customer situation. I would recommend touch basing with the artist originally working with her first. Just let her know that her other gal is needing to go and ask if you can help her in any way. That way you give the artist the chance to still have their customer. Often when I'm multi tasking with more than one person and I realize that it is going to be time consuming to have both, I will ask a freelancer to step in and aid one of the people to make the customers more happy.

There isn't a rule on time for makeup applications. However a general guide that I give to artists is 45 minutes maximum including stepping away to help customers/grabbing product etc. There are two reasons I say don't make applications too long. One spending too much time with one application will make it harder to make your numbers. The other reason is if it takes too long, most customers will look at that time and have a hard time seeing themselves being able to actually do it themselves which means they are less likely to buy. If I spend 30 minutes doing a whole face, I usually point out that 10 minutes.