Hair Product "Order of Operations"

BeckMac

So, this may sound dumb, but I have a lot of hair products and sometimes I have trouble figuring out the order i'm supposed to put them in my hair when styling. (I blowdry and then flatiron my hair, so sometimes I'm not sure which products are meant to be used on damp hair before I blowdry, which are meant to be used on dry hair before I flatiron, and which are meant to be used as finishing products after I heat-style them).
Here's an example: I bought Redken's Straightening Balm and Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum yesterday. Today I went to use them, and for both of them it says to use on damp hair....So am I supposed to put both of them on my damp hair before I blowdry? Or is it better to just use the Straightening Balm before I blowdry, and then use the Super Skinny Serum before I Flatiron (after I blowdry)? And then use some sort of "shine/glossing drops/spray" after I flatiron as a finishing touch?
Sorry, I know this probably sounds stupid and confusing....But how do you know which product goes at what step? Is there just a rule of thumb that you'd use cream-type things on damp hair, and then the clear oils or serums before you flatiron?
LOL, there are so many products out there that I want to try but I'm starting to get confused :p
Thanks if anyone can clarify all this for me
hmm.gif

melissa

I use Relaxing Fluid by Davines which is probably similar to your Redken's Straightening Balm and I also use Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. I apply the relaxing fluid mixed with half a pump of skinny serum (adjust amount according to your hair type) to damp hair before I blow dry. The relaxing fluid, or in your case straightening balm, helps relax the curl and provides protection to your hair from the heat. The skinny serum helps with the frizz. After I flat iron my hair, I usually put another half pump of skinny serum to bump up the shine.

It is a very good idea to use at least one of these products or both on your hair before you blow dry and especially before you flat iron. The product acts like a shield against the heat and prevents your hair from becoming "fried".