Hair seems in bad condition

Verient

My hair seems to be getting worse condition wise.
It's very dry but gets greasy quickly. I brush it before I have a shower but I find its stupidly knotty and breaks easily. Tips?

Mabelle

first i must ask what you are doing to you hair. Do you chemically treat it often (ie, colour, perming, bleaching, stripping etc) or heat treat it often (blwodrying, straightening, curling)?

There are two possibilities
1. You aren;t conditioning enough
or 2. You need a protein treatment.

If you aren't conditioning enough, simple.
How often do you shampoo your hair? Every day? Every other day? Cut back on the shampoo as it dries out your hair and makes you produce extra oils. Instead of shampooing every time you shower, only condition every time you shower. It will moisturize, remove some oil (yes, it will clean you hair a bit) and take out those knots. I did this when my hair was uber dry and it worked like a charm. You migh notice your hair is greasier for the first two-three days. This is because your hair is still producing too much oil at first. Give it a few days and your hair will adjust. I just use my regular conditioner for this.

If you find this too extreme, deep condition every few days (but still, try to cut back on shampoo). You might like the Deep conditioner by Moroccan Oil. It's my favourite.

2. If you need a protein treatment (which you might need on top of suggestion no. 1) Go get one! Theres a number of good quality brands. Just pick one up and try it out. Use it every 3 days ish. Don;t over use, as too much protein can cause extra damage. If you fine you need something Hardcore, pick up the line called Aphogee (available at sallys). But do your research on this product, if used incorrectly, it can break off your hair big time

good luck.

gildedangel

Try washing your hair less, washing the hair often strips the hair of the oils, making your hair seem greasier and drier. I wash my hair every 2-3 days. You may need a better conditioner as well if it is tangling. Try using a deep conditioning treatment like the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. HTH!

RedRibbon

I used to have this kinda hair, then I realised that I was over conditioning it and not giving it enough shampoo. I also got my hair cut which helped the damage die down, my hair is now very nice and healthy.

If your hair is knotty, my hairdresser suggests that what you should do is condition it and then move a wide toothed comb through it as that prevents more hair coming out and doesn't pain you as much.

Also, why is your hair knotty? Is it curly? I don't mean to be rude but I can't understand how straight hair gets knotty so could you explain that please?

I'd suggest getting a moisturising shampoo
smiles.gif
You don't need to always buy stuff in the sets in which the shops sell them. I use a clarifying shampoo and a moisturising conditioner.

Verient

I don't dye it. I condition it every day and shampoo every 3 days or so. I blow dry it a little but thats about it. x

RedRibbon

I think you're overconditioning your hair, that always leads to the greasies with me.

If you get your hair type right, you should be able to wash and condition the same around in a week
smiles.gif

Do you use any other products on it? That would explain the greasiness, my hair used to get greasy really quickly but was dry as a bone when I washed and conditioned it.