Halloween Party Ideas

emeraldjewels

Hi everyone,

So i'm throwing a halloween party this year, it will be the first time a lot of friends will see my apartment. So I want it to be fantastic. I bought a ton of decorations today and i'm planning on having apple bobbing, a kind of treasure hunt, a pumpkin pinata, and the usual party food.

So since I figured no one does halloween like the U.S, do you have any tips for games, or food or decorating or anything really.

TIA

Shenanigans

The most important thing I've learned when having a party - keep it simple! Getting people who are drinking to do something organized is like trying to herd cats... impossible. (Assuming you are having a booze-friendly party... if not, go nuts!)

I like to take classic games and put a holiday-related twist on them - I love limbo if you have the space, a food eating race (for a Hawaiian party we used canned pineapple, people unexpectedly loved it!) and obviously a best costume prize!!

Good luck and have fun... I'm plotting my own party right now. =)

Janice

ahhhh I LOVE HALLOWEEN! I hope your party is a great time.
greengrin.gif
I would make pumpkin cupcakes!!

emeraldjewels

Janice, how would I make those, with real pumpkin??? Obviously you can tell i'm a novice at this.

There will be lots of drinking and i'm going to make a punch. I'm not planning on anything really organised, just some ice breakers to get the party started. I don't want everyone to be quiet or shy.

xsnowwhite

I love halloween so so much! You could make some cute halloween sugar cookies! Also I have a halloween food book and it has a recipe for dark chocolate cupcakes and on top you put powdered sugar instead of frosting and you do it in a spiderweb shape they look very cool. You could alwasy do some thing as simple as bobbing for apples
smiles.gif
Also definitely a best costume thing.

chaut_01

i had a co-worker who mentioned to me once that for her party she told people to bring their own pumpkins and donate 5 dollars if entering the contest then have a pumpkin carving contest to see who makes the best pumpkin design/face whatever you wanna call it hehe! and then the winner gets all the money in the end! she said it was fun when she did it so im not sure! since i have never hosted any parties!

Shenanigans

It's standard that I make cupcakes and Jell-o shooters for all our parties. This time I'm doing these (chocolate flavour of course!):

300_151110.jpg

And obviously orange Jell-o/vodka shooters. =)

sharkbytes

I always make a pumpkin cheesecake for halloween parties, and it's a definite crowd pleaser
smiles.gif

Plus, if you want inexpensive decor, see if you can find a bunch of old apothecary jars and fill them up with all kinds of weird candy. It looks really cool~~

If you can find little christmas tree lights, they make them in halloween colors too...I have a few strands of orange and purple, and it winds up looking awesome for a party.

bubs

I am obsessed with halloween, so much fun!
You can always do gross/scary stuff with food as decoration such as cooked spaghetti with some plastic eyeballs...make a brain jello mold with a pink colored jello... or even eyeballs suspended in jello! If you really want to go all out you could get a fog machine or some dry ice for a spooky feel.

Also, check out All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips, they always have a bunch of great halloween themed recipes

Last year I made a lime punch with lime sherbert and lime juice concentrate and lots and lots of rum and put a few glow sticks in the bowl so it was a cool glowing green color.

We always make sure to have a bunch of blacklights and have a classic horror movie playing in the background.

Beauty Mark

The Halloween parties I've been to do a costume competition. Best costume gets a little prize.

Music gets people talking and moving. I'd go for simple food, nothing complicated. Pumpkin stuff works, candy of all shapes and sizes...

Brittni

Guess the candy corn in the jar game too. That's something so simple, but if it's what you're going for and it could be a talking point.

I think your party will be a great success. I'd personally use a fog machine, too, for a spooky effect and decor! I LOVE Halloween SO much....so so much....

aziajs

Try orange and black layered jello shots. They have some info here on how to do it:

Jello Shots by Montejello: Jello Shot Kits, Cups, Recipes and JelloJectors!

Quote:
LAYERING​

This takes some extra time but can be very much worth the effort. Layering Jello Shots makes a very nice presentation. There are some tricks involved, however, and like I said before, a nice presentation takes some time. First, make a layer and put it in your chosen container. Next, put it in your refrigerator until completely set. Make your next layer of Jello Shot and let it cool, but not set. A cool and thick but fluid consistency is best.

If the second layer is too hot or the first layer isn't completely set, you are not going to get what you are looking for. If you hit it just right, the two layers mix just a bit where they meet. It is actually kind of cool. You can make as many layers as you want. One other tip, while pouring the layers spread out the pressure of your pour so as not to dig a hole into the previous layer.

Quote:
Black Jello​

By the way, to make "black" Jello you mix orange and grape. It turns brown more than black, but hey, it is close. It kind of has the taste of a weak "cola." I got that tip directly from Kraft.

emeraldjewels

Thanks everyone, there are some awesome ideas here. I love the glowsticks in the punch and dry ice glasses!

The Jack Skeleton cupcake is to die for, i may attempt it. lol!

I'm definitly gonna make some of those jello shots, they would look great!

tiramisu

I absolutely love halloween! I think all of these suggestions are great!
I don't have anything to add specifically that hasn't already been mentioned.

Agree on the costume contest, and good mood music ... and the layered jell-o shots!

If you can get Vampire wine in the UK? (love their merlot) the bottles look cool... and the price isn't horrible. I love to serve this on halloween!www.vampirevineyards.com

Have a great party!