Hard Candy Cosmetics: UD's sister?

Brittni

I looked for a thread but couldn't find any. I opened my e-mail today from UD to find a link to Hard Candy and their line of products. Just wondering what you all think of this line if you've tried it. I must say some of their packaging is really cutesy (ie: totally want this) but are the products actually worth the prices?

Hard Candy Cosmetics for Eyes, Lips, Face, Body and Nails

228.jpg
249.jpg

BBJay

Yeah they are like a sister line for younger girls. The things on sale, I would try. You can't be 50% off. The brushes look eeehh to me though.

Brittni

The brushes do look eh although the packaging on them is so cute! There isn't much on the site that really POPS! at me but I just think the packaging is cute as I'm a mega girly girl.

COBI

I agree about it targeting younger girls. I've eyed the line at Sephora, but have never tried it because I IMHO it's packaged to be junior high cutesy before being functional. I feel like more of the cost is in the packaging than the makeup itself.

glam8babe

i bought that brush set last year before i had mac.. they arent bad especially for the price! they are synthetic but very soft, the blending brush is good too.. i use it alot and the blusher brush i just throw in my handbag for touch ups

reverieinbflat

Hard Candy has been around for a while. I remember when I was younger and reading Seventeen the adverts were edging and geared toward older teenagers. I always thought it was the most awesomeist brand ever, but I was too young to actually buy my own make-up. Now it's like My Little Pony make-up. It's sorta depressing, because now that I can by it, it's not the same.

I like that Urban Decay is their big sister though.

Beauty Mark

Hard Candy has been around for ages. I forget who it was marketed towards, but I remember a lot of celebrities liking "Sky" nail polish. It used to be edgier.

I had purchased an eyeshadow palette of theirs in like 2006; it's very good quality.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Hard Candy's nail polishes are what the brand initially started with. I have two eye shadow quads and I like them a lot.

Winnie

I think it's definitely aimed at younger kids. I recall buying one of those plastic lip gloss rings when I was about 14 and I'm sure the nail polishes have little plastic rings on them too? I'm not sure how well they've done in the UK as the line has been pulled from the Boots stores in my city.

jardinaires

hard candy is a fun line. most of the products aren't really very good for people who want a lot of bang for their buck, but you do get that in terms of cuteness and girlieness with this line. the false lashes are usually so cute and fun to play with! as far as eyeshadows, and other products of that nature, i've bought a few things mostly for the packaging.. they didn't offer much functionality beyond that, haha, seeing as this is a line aimed at young girls (which is definitely a hit, my little sister loves this stuff.. i give her something from this line every major holiday).. for instance i bought that lipgloss compact, the heart shaped one. just looks cute when you pull it out of your bag, point blank.

astronaut

I bought the brush set a few years ago and hated it. I returned it. For $15, it would make a good gift for someone who's just whatever about makeup. But I bought it when the price wasn't reduces, $30, and I was pretty much better off forking an extra $20 for a MAC holiday set or something.

aconundrum

They've changed a lot over the years. When they intially started, it was just nailpolish, they actually began the baby blue nailpolish trend back in the (mid-ish? late?) ninties. when they started making more cosmetics a couple years later they were an Urban Decay spinoff, more or less, "edgier" makeup for hip girls who were more "alternative".
I have a palette(basically a UD face case rip off...) that I bought a few years ago, the quality is *ok* but it's not UD.
I imagine the quality has declined but I don't know because I haven't even looked at their stuff lately.

Jacq-i

I think Hard Candy is cute. BTW, the original creators now are behind Goldie Cosmetics, sold at Bath & Body Works.

Obreathemykiss

I remember years ago when Hard Candy started-it wasn't aimed at younger girls like it is now. As mentioned above, their packaging was edgy, metallic, and was a really neat brand. I had two purple lippies that were Hard Candy and I loved them till the day they dried out-it took like 7 or 8 years at least. Now it seems they have changed a lot, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the product for a teen. That brush set looks cool for an in-the car or stash kinda thing...on the go.

PolyphonicLove

their eyeshadows are EXTREMELY good quality...I was the makeup artist for the school play, and I used HC and UD on the actors during, and with no primer, they were horrendously bright and didn't melt under lights. well worth the money.

and brittni, you seem oddly familiar. were you on the LC forum [now the CM forum]?

Kuuipo

We can't get Hard Candy in Hawaii, but several years ago I had a number of quads and liked them better than Urban Decay. The shadows from Urban Decay are more fleeting. I think Urban Decay is aimed at late teens and early twenties as well. Too much glitter...everywhere.....