Has anyone had this happen to their brush??

kashleigh80

This morning I went to use my 266 and a huge piece of it just fell off!! I haven't dropped it or anything. The brush is maybe 3 or 4 years old and definitely not a fake. My mom got it at a free standing MAC store. Anyone have any ideas or something similar happen to them?
hmm.gif

I've included a picture so you can see what I'm talking about

et/gallery/files/3/1/7/0/9/CIMG0206.JPG

Tubachick02

I know its distressing, but all that came off was the paint on the handle, it can b caused by wear or moisture, the brush is still perfectly fine, i would use a emery board to smooth the edges then little clear nail poish to seal the wood, i have it happen to my paint brushes all the times

dangerousmuffins

Oh yeah... I have one where the black is totally off. I even forget what number it is. It was sad at 1st, but I got over it.

bebs

I've had that happen to almost all of my art brushes, and parts of my mac brushes, like said before its just the paint, its nothing to freak out about, its just getting old and worn. it might have gotten a little to wet when you were washing it or something like that. but the point is all well used brushes will start to do that over time
smiles.gif
it means its well loved

ledonatella

The paint on some mine has come off before, esp. the special edition ones, I just use them they way they are and they still work fine.

thelilprincess

it hasn't happened to any of my brushes yet....but i do have the foundation brush from Prescriptives and noticed that the paint/handle is softening up - i think my nail slightly dug into it, and the paint budged...so i'm just trying to handle it carefully. i'm guessing it's kinda like the paint in my bathroom - the mositure gets into it and can soften the paint and make it chip. do you keep your make up brushes in the bathroom (or somewhere near moisture)? or when you wash your brushes, are you getting the handle wet? if you do, just avoid those things to help maintain the brushes. hope that's a little helpful.

kashleigh80

Yeah I just recently (past 3 months) started doing my make-up in the bathroom and I keep my brushes in there. After I took my shower last night I had a DOH! moment when I realized the humidity might be doing it. And yeah, I was never very careful about keeping the handles dry when washing them. Now I know better!

me_jelly

When I started reading, I thought a huge chunk of the bristle came out at once, and I was like "OMG!"

But don't worry, like others have mentioned, it's just the paint on the exterior of the brush, It may look a little funky now, but it'll function well just like before - actually your brush looks like it's in really good condition since the "MAC 266" is still very distinctive! All the words on my brushes have rubbed off and mine are still quite new (less than 6 months old lol).

Just sand out any sharp edges, maybe apply some permanent black marker over the bare wood (if you can't stand the color difference) and seal with a nail varish top coat or another clear sealing agent and it'll look like new =)