Has anyone tried or currently used the oil cleansing method?

V15U4L_3RR0R

I saw a few youtube vids on this and I wanted to know more about it. So have any of you ladies tried it or currently using this method? Got any good 'recipes'?

glam8babe

i use Dermalogicas pre cleanse which is an oil... it removes ALL makeup even mascara and waterproof makeup. since using it, ive noticed my skin getting clearer and all my pores feel unclogged. Ive seen lots of good reviews on the mac one

MsCocoa

I don't use a premade oil but I've both used both castor and olive oil, and also grapeseed and avocado oil and I prefer the latter because it's lighter and less sticky, and leaves my skin looking smooth and soft plus it's not to heay on my oily t-zone.

athena123

I use OCM [oil cleansing method] once a week. I started off with a sample of Decleor cleansing oil, then switched to straight organic jojoba oil [much less expensive and just as effective].

I use jojoba oil every night to remove makeup and wipe it off with a microfiber cleansing cloth to remove all traces.

For my weekly treatment, I use jojoba oil to remove makeup, then rinse with warm water and apply a generous amount of jojoba to my face. Then I massage it all over my face in a circular motion for about 10-15 minutes. [ I usually move to the living room and watch TV while I do this], focusing on my nose and chin. I can feel little sebum plugs popping out when I do this and it literally melts away the oil that gathers in my pores.

When I'm done, I rinse with warm water, then follow up with my microfiber cloth to further exfoliate and remove all traces of oil. Apply 5% BHA solution. It's been a long time since I've seen any blackheads, it's extremely effective way to cleanse both oily and dry skin. Just use whatever oil is suitable for your skintype.

Oily skin - jojoba, hazelnut
Dry skin - avocado, olive oil, apricot oil
combo skin - grapeseed oil

Myosotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
I use OCM [oil cleansing method] once a week.

After reading this post I tried the OCM the way athena described it. Wow! My skin feels very soft and really clean. I think it is key to massage the face for a long time - I did 10 minutes but I might try 15 minutes next time. I was worried that it would be hard to get the oil off afterwards but I just put a warm washcloth over my face and let it cool down and used it to gently wipe my face. I repeated maybe 3-4 times and my skin was squeaky clean! No need to moisturize but I did use eye cream as I didn't put oil in that area. I just used whatever oils I had in the house (coconut and olive) but I might try to get my hands on some grapeseed or jojoba oil.

redambition

i have used it, and i want to start using it again.

it's the most effective makeup remover i have ever tried. it's also great as athena described to use as a mask - combined with the massage it just melts all the gunk out of the pores.

V15U4L_3RR0R

Thanks for all the replies. I only have olive oil in my house at the moment but I'm going to try and get some castor and jojoba oil this weekend so I can do a blend of the three. I'm deffinately going to stick to using this method for a while though. I've done it twice now and Holy crap it took off all my make up so fast and made my skin lovely and soft. I'm going to see how well it helps to clear up my mild acne. Wish me luck!

SoutherNtellect

I use this method about once a week using olive oil.
After, I wipe with a warm towel and exfoliate.

great for a natural glow and acne.

elegant-one

Wow, I am so intrigued by this cleansing method! What makes the oil unplug the pores?

And, I would think that the oil would clog the pores?

TIA

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
Wow, I am so intrigued by this cleansing method! What makes the oil unplug the pores?

And, I would think that the oil would clog the pores?

TIA

I know, it seems so counter-intuitive, doesn't it?
smiles.gif
Jojoba oil is actually a wax that closely resembles human sebum. That's why a long massage will actually melt the oil that gathers in your pores and that's also why it won't clog. It also helps to be sure you rinse all traces of it away after the treatment.

As you can see by this thread, other oils also yield great results but for me jojoba is hands down the most effective at melting the gunk and junk from my pores. I've heard that some ladies do this every night, but I'm too lazy to massage my face for 15 minutes every single night; hence the once a week treatment. When I first started this, however, I did the massage about 3 times a week.

OCM doesn't work for everyone and some kind of oils can clog your pores and cause irritation, but I've rarely heard that occur with jojoba oil.

One thing I should mention: no matter which oil you use, since it makes such a prolonged contact with your skin, I would recommend using organic, cold pressed unrefined oil if at all possible. Do NOT use mineral or baby oil; a 15 minute massage would probably result in clogged pores without any of the benefits.

HTH!

Athena

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosotis
....I just used whatever oils I had in the house (coconut and olive) but I might try to get my hands on some grapeseed or jojoba oil.

Myosotis, depending upon your skintype the oils you have may already work for you! I've heard of some who use coconut oil to treat acne. I haven't tried that and can't testify to that, but it's great as a deep hair treatment!

DHC is a japanese line of skincare and olive oil is the primary ingredient in their much lauded DHC cleansing oil. I've heard a lot of great things about it but ultimately you can get just as much benefit from olive or other vegetable based oils as a more expensive cleansing oil.

Myosotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
Myosotis, depending upon your skintype the oils you have may already work for you! I've heard of some who use coconut oil to treat acne. I haven't tried that and can't testify to that, but it's great as a deep hair treatment!

DHC is a japanese line of skincare and olive oil is the primary ingredient in their much lauded DHC cleansing oil. I've heard a lot of great things about it but ultimately you can get just as much benefit from olive or other vegetable based oils as a more expensive cleansing oil.

The massage with coconut oil worked great and really cleared up my skin! I've done OCM 3 times now and I plan on keeping it up as often as time permits.

I've previously been using coconut oil as a moisturizer on my body after showers and also in my hair - it is a wonderful oil that feels amazingly soft and not greasy at all.

I tried OCM with pure olive oil, too, but it was way too heavy for my skin type. Your previous post totally convinced my to give jojoba oil a try
thmbup.gif

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
Athena123 -

What/where to purchase microfiber cloth & 5% BHA solution???

TIA

elegant, I purchase both from www.psfskincare.com. I like the fact that the BHA contains niaciamide, which has been the subject of a few studies that indicate it's great for skin barrier repair. I also use a sunscreen that contains this ingredient. The PH level of this BHA is either 1.5 or 2, I can't remember which but it's certainly acidic enough to be more effective than a 10% BHA at a PH level of 4.

The microfiber cloths from this company were disappointingly small; I was a little disconcerted when I first ordered them, I mean how can I use a cloth that's only 6" square? But at $4.00 for 2 cloths, I'm able to afford one for each day of the week and plan to get 7 more so I can have 2 per day. [I'm a freak about this, I know. I never use a cloth on my face more than once, whether it's to wash or dry] The texture in these tiny little cloths are extremely effective; removing all traces of jojoba oil without overstripping. Larger size microfiber cloths can also be found at ncnproskincare.com, but I'm just not willing to pay $12.50 for a washcloth despite all the great reviews.

I tried some inexpensive microfiber clothes I picked up from the automotive section at Target and compared it to PSF. While I liked the fact that the auto cloths are the size I EXPECT to see in a washcloth,
yes.gif
the texture just isn't as intense so I keep those around for washing the car.

HTH,

Athena

elegant-one

OMG Athena123...what great educational information - which i love! BTW...i am exactly the same way about the 1 time use for wash cloths

MANY THANKS!!!!

V15U4L_3RR0R

Ok ladies. I am soooooo IMPRESSED. I can't rant and rave about this enough now lol. I have never used anything before where I can see a visable difference to my skin after using something on it. My skin looks clearer and my acne spots...wow.. they just seem to fade and get better and better each time I wash. My skin feels so soft and smooth now and I'm getting less dry patches. I think I've found the solution tot my problem skin and I'm going to keep using this all the time now.

makeba

i have been using this method for about 3days now and i must say i like it. i have been using coconut oil to remove my makeup and cleanse my skin and i have noticed a difference in my skins texture and it has moisture in the dry areas of my face. the ugly part is while cleansing off my makeup i begin to look like a raccoon and reach for a baby wipe to cleanse off. now i must get the microfiber cloths you ladies are mentioning. but i wonder how often can you use them and how to cleanse them. (off to do more research)

User67

Can someone explain the OCM to me? I am so interested, but a little lost at the same time LOL!