Has anyone tried the curling irons w/o a clip??

thelove4tequila

I'm very curious about this! I saw a clip of a Ford Models hairstylest using one and it looked reallllly good! My Revlon one isn't doing the job anymore.

Enzo Milano

enzo_milano_25mm_curling_iron_11552.jpg

thelilprincess

i've seen stylists use a curler(with the clip) without using the clip (gosh, that sounds confusing). they just wrap the hair around the barrel - so they just don't use the clip. i guess same concept as this clipless curling iron.

hunnybun

haha -- i saw the same ford model vid too.

i actually own a clipless iron and i find it really hard to use. i think it's probably bc i'm so used to using a clip, it's hard for me to change my technique. the stylist i go to says that with practice, once you get used to using a clipless iron, it's far superior. hth.

user79

Honestly, I think the clipless ones are more convenient for hairdressers working on models, but for doing it on yourself this could be a bit tricky just due to the angle you have to hold it to wrap the hair around it, and you could burn yourself.

Dreamergirl3

I have one of these. 25mm one (1 inch). it came with a kevlar glove to protect your hand from the heat. It's not completely heat proof, if you're touching it for too long it'll get warm. Personally, I am in LOVE with my Enzo Milano curling rod. Gets super hot, curls my thick wavy hair. I hardly ever use the glove though, as I'm pretty nimble with my hands. For me it's really easy to use and I get perfect results everytime!

edit: for anyone interested, the clip can be seen here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sgEaC0Na_50

aziajs

I have never seen this type of iron before but I have seen stylists use a regular marcel iron without the lip. It seem like it would be great for a stylist but more difficult at home for your own personal use. It also seems as though it would depend on your hair length. I would think the longer the hair the easier it is to use an iron like this.

thelilprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamergirl3
I have one of these. 25mm one (1 inch). it came with a kevlar glove to protect your hand from the heat. It's not completely heat proof, if you're touching it for too long it'll get warm. Personally, I am in LOVE with my Enzo Milano curling rod. Gets super hot, curls my thick wavy hair. I hardly ever use the glove though, as I'm pretty nimble with my hands. For me it's really easy to use and I get perfect results everytime!

damn, after watching that clip, i want one now.

enviable

Quote:

i've seen this before but still hesistating on whether to invest in one, they make it look so easy and plus i've never had luck with the clip ones..

xsnowwhite

i dont really see the point of buying one w/out a clip. I have a curling iron w/ a clip and you can get the same effect by just wrapping the hair around the iron. That one you posted looks nice though, but thats just my opinion.

Dreamergirl3

I like it better than clip irons (though I'm not sure how it would compare to a good quality marcel handel iron) because the clip is just not there to get in the way of things. And sometimes, at least in my experience, the clip will still leave a little bump in the hair even when just wrapping it around like you would a curling rod.

I guess the biggest thing for me is that it's a great quality tool. It gets way hotter than most curling irons I've used (IMO blows drugstore irons out of the water), gives great versatility and once you get used to using it, is just fab. Though just like xsnowwhite mentioned, you can get the same type of results using a good quality iron, handel or not. I guess it just comes down to a matter of preference
smiles.gif

I bought mine on eBay because I couldn't get myself to pay the full MSRP. There are a lot on eBay, at good prices. My only gripe about the iron, or at least the one I have, is that I wish it had a longer cord, and that it would swivel. But I think it's because I have an older version....my iron is not the one pictured in the original post. That one in the picture above are the ones on the website. Those have a longer cord that swivels. Mine does not. But I still love it, and for the price I paid, consider it a great investment
greengrin.gif

EDIT: So I did some quick research, and quite a few people are saying that the eBay ones are fakes. Personally, I'm really not sure. I think they could be older versions, but I just don't know. Fake or not though, I still love it. It's still far superior to any irons I've used.

iio

^thanks for the video...i have to say the clip ones are harder for me because when i use the clip my ends bend so its sticking straight like a V-shape if you know what i mean i dont know how to explain it well! but my ends dont have a nice U-shape curl to it.

MiCHiE

It just seems like a gimmick because stylists have been opening the clip (holding it open) and wrapping the hair around the barrel for years. And then, there are some irons where you can totally remove the clip for the same effect. I could understand if they were doing something completely new, but it's not.....

xbrookecorex

I have the Enzo Milano one, got it for $120 at at kiosk at the mall. It works GREAT. It heats up to sizzling in under a minute, so be careful of burns, it also burns you in 2 seconds! I've never used a regular curling iron on myself so I can't compare, but this is really good. I have never gotten my hair to look like it did when the woman at the mall did it on me, but that's surely my fault and not the product's fault because I SUCK at hair, and have very little patience. It probably wasn't a smart investment for me because I never use it, but it DOES work great.

Dreamergirl3

I don't understand how it can seem 'gimmicky.' Handle or not, it's a fantastic iron. And imo it really is easier to use without the handle, if you can get the hang of it. Besides, it's more about the quality of the iron. Plus, there are a lot of stylists that love these irons as well. Think of them as the CHI or GHD of curling irons. Again, I feel it's a matter of preference. Lots of stylists DON'T use these irons, and lots do. If you like it, use it. If not, find what works best for you.

MAC_Pixie04

I'd be afraid it wouldn't do my hair. I had to borrow a T3 iron from work before i could actually purchase one because i was really skeptical.

user79

Quote:

That tut is really cool, she makes it look so easy, but then she is a pro. The glove is a great idea...But wouldn't it be hard to do that on yourself, especially the back sections? How would you hold it??

Dreamergirl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
That tut is really cool, she makes it look so easy, but then she is a pro. The glove is a great idea...But wouldn't it be hard to do that on yourself, especially the back sections? How would you hold it??

actually, it kinda is that easy! That's pretty much how it works. Holding the iron, and then wrapping the hair around. You don't have to hold for too long because it's pretty hot. Then you just let go, and move on. As far as it being hard to do yourself...I wouldn't say 'hard', but it definitely takes practice if you're not used to doing it that way already. It gets tiring after a while because you have to use two hands at all times, and it's a bit more tiring having to do the back as well. Though I think it isn't too bad, since in my experience this iron works pretty fast, the time it takes is cut in half
smiles.gif

thelove4tequila

I just HAVE to get one of these now. Does anyone know where I could purchase online besides ebay? I thinking I want the 19mm.