Have you ever considered this?

panda0410

Yes, this thought has already been considered and I have mentioned previously that I thought the counterfeiters had accounts here to learn from what we were posting. This is - to me at least - horribly evident and I became quite suspicious after we posted several key indicators to a few items - which in about two weeks were then corrected in the ebay fakes. So yes, its my firm belief that the counterfeiters DO have accounts with specktra.

The question is this - do we stop posting and helping others in order to prevent the counterfeiters from learning from us and thereby leave prospective purchasers in a ditch, or do we keep helping others and run the risk that the counterfeiters will use the info to improve their fake items??

Skin*Deep

I agree that the individuals who make fake products will always be changing and trying to improve the look of it....I myself have never purchased makeup from anywhere but a store.....the same goes for my purses, coats, etc. this in my opinion is the ONLY way I can be sure I am getting genuine items....after all is it really worth saving a few bucks? When you get into the topic of counterfeit items, especially high end counterfeits, the argument really becomes.....do you want the label that says the brand? or do you want the quality product the brand represents? I choose quality, so I will never buy second hand, or from online retailers (except obviously the manufacturers website, or Nordstrom's, Macy's, etc)
basicly - you get what you pay for.....

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipgloss
What will happen the day a fake and an authentic item get perfectly mirrored without a slightest error?

This is almost happening now. Many of the counterfeits are incredibly good copies, especially some of the eyeshadows and some of the pigments as well. It is getting harder and harder to tell them apart.

We realise the irony in posting info here is that it actually helps the people we are trying to fight - but by keeping the information secret we actually prevent honest people from having access to a potentially helpful source.

There have been arguments for ages about people only buying from MAC, but its been mentioned before - what about the people whose countries dont have MAC stores or counters at all? I suppose they should be humble too and forget their MAC desres and find another suitable product?

And are we forgetting that it is ILLEGAL to sell counterfeit goods? Why should people HAVE to only buy from MAC? I understand that this is idealistic but ebay themselves are largely responsible. They are the host for the counterfeits and I would very much like to see some of the corporations SUE EBAY for actually doing so. Until someone starts making Ebay accountable for the role in the sale of counterfeits I am afraid it will continue.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin*Deep
basicly - you get what you pay for.....

Shallow.... and not entirely true, nor does it represent the entire mac selling ebay community either.

There are many good ebay sellers that I absolutely trust to sell only authentic goods and several of them are members of this forum! They have gone out of their way to ensure they are ONLY selling authentic items and even posted some of their stock here for scrutiny by specktra members. You dont get more honest than that.

panda0410

Quote:
For sure, that'd be a good solution! But it's not all black all white, alas. When you realize that some valuable sellers get a fake here and there from time to time among genuine items and sometimes don't even know it, you get conscious that the apple is completely rotten and barely impossible to cure. It's not as if we had on one side, the genuine items sellers and on the other side, the fake sellers...

As I said, I realise this is idealistic... I also realise that sellers often get slipped things that are not authentic from time to time, and that some sellers dont know the difference.

What I also realise is that there ARE some sellers who DO know the difference and who absolutely DON'T sell fakes. I cant stand generalisations, besides the fact that that it simply doesnt apply to all sellers, these generalisations make it hard for the honest sellers to make legitimate ebay sales.

panda0410

Quote:
I'm not a lover of generalisation either and refuse to believe that everyone is corrupted and/or ignorant and/or dishonest. I'm just making my way hardly though this new world and I'm looking for sellers I fully could trust and I realize it's really not obvious at all. Now I'm curious to know where sellers get their wholesales/lots. And who is in your list of honest trustable sellers. And if it also happens they get fake ones in their stock. And if yes, what do they do with them? A lot of questions which might seem a bit silly, I know.

These arent silly questions
tong.gif
And we have all asked them ourselves as well...hehe

As for the list these are sellers that I personally know to ONLY be selling authentic goods. Two of them are direct members here, severl others have links here as well and none of them sell fakes - in fact they have gone out of their way to learn about fakes and NOT sell them!

Uk sellers on ebay

julie150463
charleyandemily

US sellers on ebay

denisef609
my-boo-kitty

There are several others I will post shortly.

About whether or not some sellers something get fakes then I think the answer would have to be yes - many counterfeits have been posted here previously by sellers who named them as counterfeits as well!!! These are usually items that OTHER sellers have been stuck with and thrown in the lots purchased. We have good sellers here helping purchasers too and that is something that absolutely needs to be recognised by other members here. Too many people rubbishing ebay sellers and yet they are helping by putting their own reputations on line for the benefit of the rest of us - they deserve credit for doing it!!!!

As for what they do with them - I know personally that several sellers throw anything they receive that may be questionable EITHER directly in the bin - OR - kept for later comparisons. Anything like that is NEVER resold, gifted or used. We have sellers who are both honest and hard working to keep their reputations for only selling authentic goods in tact. I also personally keep any counterfeits I receive for comparison since the updates are based on old errors keeping the fakes for this purpose actually helps a lot.

As for sources - not everything is sourced from wholesale lots. I have received items with Macys and Nordstrom stickers so I know that many items are directly purchased from MAC counters. As for wholesale lots I have never purcahsed them - there is a large list if you google for them though and these usually list inventory items as well.

Skin*Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Shallow.... and not entirely true, nor does it represent the entire mac selling ebay community either. .

me shallow? totally.

I apologize if I offended you or any of your friends that sell on ebay, but, I am afraid you misunderstood me. no where did I say every seller on ebay is bogus, and nowhere did I say there were no reputable ones, all I was saying was that the only sure way to GUARANTEE you were getting real, genuine product was to purchase from a store. my point was that the risk isnt always worth it if you will be unhappy with counterfeit merchandise. I also meant it broadly as in not just concerning MAC because counterfeit merchandise is everywhere. I myself have never used ebay, and never will. I prefer the easy quick way of getting what I want, without having to check reputations and run the item through a battery of tests
yes.gif
. lazy AND shallow lol

panda0410

Counterfeits are always improving.

But as I mentioned previously there have been key changes that were noticed and posted here that ended up being correctly rather quickly, and more than once.

Jinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin*Deep
I myself have never used ebay, and never will. I prefer the easy quick way of getting what I want, without having to check reputations and run the item through a battery of tests

Unfortunately for a lot of people, going to a store isn't the quick and easy way because they don't have MAC stores or counters in their country. A lot of countries don't have MAC online either so then ebay is the only way.

I'll never understand why some people seem proud of not buying on ebay. Like it's inherently bad to do so. I can honestly say that I've never been unhappy with a cosmetics purchase I've made on ebay, and it's given me an opportunity to try products I'd never be able to buy here (like some amazing Korean cosmetics).

allthatgl1tt3rs

That thought did cross my mind the other day when reeling through the pages on counterfeit giveaways - what if the counterfeitters are looking and improving based on our findings...

The thing is though I am not totally new to MAC but I am untrained enough not to be able to spot the tiny details - like the scratches on the boxes or the tiny discrepancies in font - no way could I tell you for sure if someone laid out in front of me fakes vs the real deals. I'd get some right, but I bet I'd get some wrong, esp. as now the counterfeit creeps are wising up and making it harder to tell!

I considered buying on Ebay, mainly to sample pigments because that way I can buy more at a later date if I truly like the colours. But I just thought, there's so much to distinguish and so much risk - I have no idea who this seller is or where they're getting their ingredients from. And the sheer thought of the fact there could be anything in there, like rat poison, makes me shudder. My health means too much to me than saving a few pennies.

As a result I've made the decision to only buy from MAC CCOs/PRO stores/counters. That way I know the source and although it may be a bit on the pricier side, there's no price you can put on your health. But I do feel for those out there who aren't near enough to a store/unable to buy from the MAC website. The only thing I can suggest is save, save, save and then split the cost of a car journey with a friend/book a train ticket or something similar to make a shopping trip and stock up on all the things you have your eye on. It seems like a lot of hassle but it's so much safer!

macluvermre

Quote:

Quote:

Um.....I am so sorry. Am I missing something with alot of this thread being deleted? How can anyone follow the coversation when the OP or otherwise continues to delete messages that everyone is replying to? Has anyone explained that to s/he? I obviously don't get it.... maybe it's just me.
th_dunno.gif

mochabean

Uhhh what's up with philipgloss posts??? They are deleted or something . . . makes this thread all the more fishy.

blindpassion

People just don't like being challenged on their opinion... hence the deletion. To the OP, don't just come on the site, post an opinion, decide you don't like some responses, and then delete all your posts. Stand up for what you believe in or else don't say anything at all.

If anyone has strong views against buying/selling on ebay... just don't do it.

The people who are making fakes won't just stop... so karma will get them in the end.
Its buyer beware when it comes to ebay.