Help, fast! Is this brush fake?

sandsonik

I'm very leery of buying anything from Shang Hai but I've really been wanting a 187 and this is a great price, even with the shipping.

Any chance it's real? It doesn't have any of the obvious differences I've seen listed in other threads.

4002_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

MAC_Whore

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks real. The shape, ferrule, fibres, and lettering look like mine. You could ask them where is was made. Both of mine have Japan indented in small lettering near the base of the brush.

But...I looked at the other items the seller has and they are selling nothing but a ton of brushes and a ton of men's underwear. Kind of odd that they have both things in such volume.

I dunno. Tough call.

ilovexnerdsx

from the pic it looks right. and the seller offers a refund, so it seem to be legit. if someone sells a fake, they probably wouldnt offer a refund.

sandsonik

Thanks girls - I was away from my computer for a little bit and was outbid anyway, but maybe I'll take a chance on this seller the next time she has this brush on E-Bay. You guys are the best!

caffn8me

I think this is most likely to be a very accurate fake as we are seeing coming out of China with other brushes at the moment. Very close comparison with my own genuine 187 shows differences in the crimping (it's deeper on the genuine 187) and in the handle. The handle on the genuine 187 tapers inwards ever so slightly before it enters the ferrule. On the 187 pictured above it's absolutely parallel all the way into the ferrule. The tapered handle would account for the deeper crimping on the ferrule too.

I've attached a picture of a genuine 187 below showing the taper by the ferrule that I'm talking about.

ilovexnerdsx

oh no. this is so upsetting that fake brushes are getting so accurate. they're making progress and i dont like it
weeping.gif

caffn8me

Yes, it's a real problem. Brushes have suddenly got very accurate and pigments fool most people too. It's not good news
ssad.gif

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
I think this is most likely to be a very accurate fake as we are seeing coming out of China with other brushes at the moment. Very close comparison with my own genuine 187 shows differences in the crimping (it's deeper on the genuine 187) and in the handle. The handle on the genuine 187 tapers inwards ever so slightly before it enters the ferrule. On the 187 pictured above it's absolutely parallel all the way into the ferrule. The tapered handle would account for the deeper crimping on the ferrule too.

I've attached a picture of a genuine 187 below showing the taper by the ferrule that I'm talking about.

You have such a great eye for detail. You are truly a great contributor to this board!
smiles.gif