Help! Interview at Macys Cosmetic Counter

xcutiepie331x

Hey everyone. I applied for a Macy's cosmetic counter position and got an interview for Wednesday the 26th. I am soooo bad at interviews, so I'm very very nervous. I was just wondering what kinds of questions do they ask?? If anyone has ever had a cosmetic counter interview for Macys, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom or any other department store pleaseeee help me! I just want to be as prepared as I can be, and I dont want to blank out during the interview. So once again, I could use all the help I can get. Thanks!!!
smiles.gif

xxsgtigressxx

I worked in Macy's cosmetics, the main thing they focus on is customer service. So make sure you talk about going the extra mile and come up with a story on how you have went that extra mile for a customer in a previous job. They also asked me how I would make sure my customers would come back. Also, they asked me why I was interested in make-up and I explained that I enjoy making women feel good about themselves etc etc.
smiles.gif
hope that helps

rosasola1

I suggest looking in the industry talk forum, especially under the "working for cosmetic companies" That is where I learned Everything I needed to know for my interview with MAC. It helped me Sooooo much! Plus there are many many actual experiences posted on peoples interviews and such. I have one there too
smiles.gif
Have fun!

xcutiepie331x

So I went in for my interview today. I spent all morning getting ready. I blow dried my hair really nice, did my nails, and spent like an hour doing my makeup, which looked sooooo nice. I did all of this for no reason. I went in for the interview and there were several other people there. The manager told us that all of the positions are filled right now. She took our numbers down and told us she would give us a call sometime next week if any positions open. I highly doubt she will do that, so I was pretty angry and upset. I mean if they have no open positions, then why waste our time and call us in for an interview?? I was soo annoyed. Since I was all dolled up, I thought I'd go by the MAC counter and finally ask them about any open positions. They also said they have no open positions and that they were looking for people with a lot of retail and makeup experience. So that pretty much shot down my dreams of working at MAC. I've also applied at Sephora three times, and never got a call for an interview. So I pretty much just gave up working in makeup.
ssad.gif

xStarryEyedX

Don't give up... I know how you feel but don't give up... Oh, and I'm really not sure about there ((or anywhere else, i'm not trying to be offensive- it's just the truth in my case)) but to be honest, around here all the Macy's makeup dept. people are jokes. You should see the cosmetics manager at the Macy's I work at, I'm glad I'm in a lease dept. and don't have to associate with them because they're a bunch of hot messes who should never be allowed to touch anyones face with a makeup brush. EVER.

Try to start out at a sephora, co bigelow, body shop, etc where you can get your foot in the door =).

lyttleravyn

oh no! don't give up, sometimes they schedule more interviews than positions so they have options. I work at Hot Topic, and unfortunately they did that to someone as well. They had 2 spots and 5 interviews. After 4 interviews they made their decision because they had to get people trained and on the floor. I felt bad for the last person (they were called a day or two before their appt), but sometimes that's how it goes.

don't give up though! a lot of other places in the mall are hiring for holidays, I would start with getting a job in retail. ideally something like the body shop, bath and body works, etc. a place that at least sells makeup but some retail is better than none!

also try doing some freelance to build up a makeup portfolio. try and hook up with photography students trying to build their own portfolios, a win-win situation!
smiles.gif
good luck!!

xcutiepie331x

I know I'm not giving up just yet lol. I was just really upset that day and had to vent it out somewhere. I was just really surprised that Macy's wasn't hiring especially because its holiday season now. And as for Sephora, I'm extremely upset with them. I applied THREE times, and not once got a call from them. I applied once in January, once in March, and again three weeks ago, and still no call. I dont mean to brag or anything, but I do my makeup better than any of the employees in that store. Honestly, every time I look at them they look like a mess. A ten year old can do makeup better than them. I just feel like they think they are some high end makeup artists or something. I really wanted to work there, but Im just fed up with them because they havent called me for an interview after three attempts. I actually do have two years of retail experience, and I'm just sick of working in clothing. I really really love makeup and that's my passion so it was ideal for me to work in makeup, but I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out. Thanks for the encouragement guys!
smiles.gif

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcutiepie331x
I know I'm not giving up just yet lol. I was just really upset that day and had to vent it out somewhere. I was just really surprised that Macy's wasn't hiring especially because its holiday season now. And as for Sephora, I'm extremely upset with them. I applied THREE times, and not once got a call from them. I applied once in January, once in March, and again three weeks ago, and still no call. I dont mean to brag or anything, but I do my makeup better than any of the employees in that store. Honestly, every time I look at them they look like a mess. A ten year old can do makeup better than them. I just feel like they think they are some high end makeup artists or something. I really wanted to work there, but Im just fed up with them because they havent called me for an interview after three attempts. I actually do have two years of retail experience, and I'm just sick of working in clothing. I really really love makeup and that's my passion so it was ideal for me to work in makeup, but I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out. Thanks for the encouragement guys!
smiles.gif

Well, two questions:
1. did you attach a resume
2. did you follow up after applying (calling/popping in the store to talk to a manager

If you attach a resume it will show that you put effort into applying...And if you follow up you're showing interest *plus if they're not hiring, at least you wont be waiting around*... when I worked at the body shop the DM said that if someone follows up after applying, unless they completely eff up the interview to hire them. I know it really really sucks, I was reading my old LJ the other day and a couple years ago I was like why the hell wont anyone hire me!?! Working at the body shop got me a lot more call backs then just working clothing retail. If you need any help or anything PM me =).

xcutiepie331x

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarryEyedX
Well, two questions:
1. did you attach a resume
2. did you follow up after applying (calling/popping in the store to talk to a manager

If you attach a resume it will show that you put effort into applying...And if you follow up you're showing interest *plus if they're not hiring, at least you wont be waiting around*... when I worked at the body shop the DM said that if someone follows up after applying, unless they completely eff up the interview to hire them. I know it really really sucks, I was reading my old LJ the other day and a couple years ago I was like why the hell wont anyone hire me!?! Working at the body shop got me a lot more call backs then just working clothing retail. If you need any help or anything PM me =).

I didn't attach a resume because honestly I didn't think I needed to. My resume really has nothing fancy on there besides some volunteer work, work experience, and some personal traits. And I pretty much put all of those in the application. I didn't call back either. I guess that's where I went wrong. But when I did turn in my app. I talked to one of the store directors and told her how much I love makeup, etc. She smiled and said that they were hiring for holiday positions and that if I was a "match" she would call me.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcutiepie331x
I didn't attach a resume because honestly I didn't think I needed to. My resume really has nothing fancy on there besides some volunteer work, work experience, and some personal traits. And I pretty much put all of those in the application. I didn't call back either. I guess that's where I went wrong. But when I did turn in my app. I talked to one of the store directors and told her how much I love makeup, etc. She smiled and said that they were hiring for holiday positions and that if I was a "match" she would call me.

Yeah those are kind of the tricks. If you've worked at a job where you used a cash register that helps (sephora hires people to start out ringing before they're on the floor). If you've helped out with a show at school or something doing makeup, put that. It's kind of just you bragging about yourself because a lot of places just glance at an application (also, make sure every single part of your app. is filled out. i had one boss who if she saw an empty line she would disregard everything else). But yeah, keep that in mind...And try to type up a quick resume. Honestly, if you need help message me.

xcutiepie331x

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarryEyedX
Yeah those are kind of the tricks. If you've worked at a job where you used a cash register that helps (sephora hires people to start out ringing before they're on the floor). If you've helped out with a show at school or something doing makeup, put that. It's kind of just you bragging about yourself because a lot of places just glance at an application (also, make sure every single part of your app. is filled out. i had one boss who if she saw an empty line she would disregard everything else). But yeah, keep that in mind...And try to type up a quick resume. Honestly, if you need help message me.

Thanks for all the advice!..Ill keep them in mind for next time
smiles.gif